Practical. Efficient. Responsive. Ryan knows that understanding your business is the best way he can help you achieve your objectives. Ryan combines over a decade of experience with deep and broad knowledge of securities and corporate transaction law to assist clients with completing a wide range of corporate finance transactions. As a shareholder in our Securities and Mergers & Acquisitions Groups, Ryan represents publicly-traded companies and their boards on SEC reporting and compliance, corporate governance, strategic acquisitions and financings. Ryan also frequently represents emerging companies on early-stage funding matters and sellers, private equity funds and strategic buyers on M&A transactions.
Ryan also represents underwriters and placement agents in equity and debt financings, as well as on FINRA compliance matters.
Ryan has significant experience representing clients in the energy, life sciences, software/technology, industrial manufacturing and restaurant/hospitality industries.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2003, cum laude
- University of Nebraska, B.J., News-Editorial, 1999, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2003
- Corporate Governance & Investigations
- Executive Compensation & Benefits
- Renewable Energy
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Public Companies
- Represent approximately 10 publicly-traded corporations on SEC compliance and corporate governance matters
- Represented AGA Medical Holdings, Inc. in its sale to St. Jude Medical, Inc.
Represented Dougherty & Company LLC as underwriter on follow-on common stock offering by Diversified Restaurant Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Craig-Hallum Capital Group, LLC as underwriter on follow-on common stock offering by Datalink
- Represented Titan Machinery Inc. in its initial public offering and two follow-on offerings
- Represented a publicly-traded data storage value-added reseller in a 144A convertible debt offering, a $110 million convertible subordinated notes exchange offer and a $50 million acquisition of privately-held target
- Represented local assisted-living facility in $5 million private placement of LLC interests
- Represented durable medical products manufacturer in its initial public offering
- Represented local software-as-a-service company in $90 million sale transaction
- Represented local filtration device manufacturer in $225 million sale transaction
- Represented publicly-traded wind energy components manufacturer in numerous acquisitions and securities financing transactions
- Represented local medical device manufacturer in a $3 million convertible debt offering
- Represented local software company in $3 million venture capital preferred equity investment
- Represented local software company in $15 million minority investment in preferred equity
- “Going and Being Public,” The Collaborative Growth Series, May 2011
- “Proxy Season 2011: Impact of the Dodd-Frank Act,” co-authored with Sean Nagle, FredALERT: Corporate & Securities, February 23, 2011
- “E-Proxy Rules Now Effective for All Public Companies,” April 2009
- “Smaller Company Reporting Rules: Impact on 2008 Form 10-K and Proxy,” FredNEWS: Corporate & Securities, February 2008, and FredNEWS: Business, April 2008
- “NASDAQ Introduces New Market Structure,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Business Focus Newsletter, November 2006
Honors & Distinctions
- Named a Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics magazine, 2009 and 2010
- Minnesota Law Review, Managing Editor 2002-2003, staff member 2001-2002
- Member of 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers National Championship football team