An officer and shareholder at Fredrikson & Byron, John works primarily with closely held and family businesses on business planning and taxation, including their formation, operation, and sale. His emphasis is federal, state, and international income taxation.
John is also recognized as an expert in tax issues related to workouts and reorganizations. He is a frequent lecturer for various groups, including the Minnesota State Bar Association and Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants.
John is also Chair of the firm’s Tax Planning & Business Organization Group.
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1977
- St. John's University, B.A., Economics and Accounting, 1974, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1978
- U.S. Tax Court, 1980
- Tax Planning & Business Organization
- Family Business
- Emerging Business
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Food, Drug & Medical Device Regulation
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Workouts
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Internship, Offices of Congressman James L. Oberstar
- Internship, The Securities and Exchange Commission
- Honorable Gerald W. Heaney, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1977-79
Honors & Distinctions
Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2011
- The Tax Lawyer, Member and Editor, 1975-1977