David Grorud is a shareholder at Fredrikson & Byron and member of the Corporate Department. He focuses his corporate law practice in mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and other strategic alliances; corporate control matters; private and public securities offerings; SEC periodic reports and compliance; and broker-dealer matters. His clients include major multinationals as well as small new ventures.
Dave is active in bar association committees which review and propose changes to corporate and securities laws and regulations. He has lectured on many facets of corporate law.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1978, magna cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, B.A., Mathematics, German, 1974, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1978
- Mergers & Acquisitions (Past Chair)
- Securities (Past Chair)
- Corporate (Past Chair)
- Corporate Governance & Investigations
- Executive Compensation & Benefits
- Life Sciences
- Commercial Law
- Public Companies
- Represented Medtronic, Inc. in over 100 acquisitions of public and private businesses with deal sizes ranging from several million dollars to over $4 billion.
- Represented Medtronic, Inc. in numerous product line and business dispositions with deal sizes ranging from several million dollars to over $500 million.
- Represented AGA Medical in its sale to St. Jude Medical.
- Represented Carlson, Inc. in the sale of its Carlson Marketing Worldwide business to Aimia, Inc. (f/k/a Groupe Aeroplan, Inc.).
- Represented Goldsmith Agio Helms in numerous of its M&A client engagements and in its sale to Lazard Group LLC.
- Represented Control Data Systems, Inc. in its spin-off from Ceridian Corporation and ultimately in its acquisition by a private equity fund.
- Represented Control Data Systems, Inc. in numerous domestic and international dispositions of product lines, subsidiaries and divisions, including its computer (hardware) products division.
- Represented Gaming Corporation of America, including in its formation, financing, IPO, acquisition of gaming properties, regulatory licensing and compliance and sale to Grand Casinos, Inc.
- Represented the Cowles Family in connection with its sale of Cowles Media Company (Minneapolis StarTribune).
- Represented numerous other public and private companies in acquisitions and dispositions, including PW Eagle, Inc., Advance Circuits, Inc., Help/Systems, Inc., Dexon Manufacturing, Inc., Minnetonka Corporation, Calvin Klein Cosmetics Company, SurModics, Inc., Faribault Mills, Inc., Pfizer, Inc., Health Risk Management, Inc., Ex-L-Tube Inc., RDO Equipment Co., Flo-Pac Corporation, Oak Ridge Holding Corporation, Custom Marketing Company, John G. Kinnard & Company, Inc., Equity Securities Investments, Intex Corporation and Rainforest Café.
- Represented numerous public and private companies in SEC compliance, corporate governance, financing and general corporate matters, including Medtronic, Inc., Carlson, Inc., MakeMusic, Inc., AGA Medical Holdings, Inc., Control Data Systems, Inc., Advance Circuits, Inc., Health Risk Management, Inc., SurModics, Inc., Broadview Institute, Inc., Gaming Corporation of America, Northwest Teleproductions, Inc., Dexon Manufacturing, Inc. and PW Eagle, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Corporation, Banking and Business Law Sections
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Securities Section
- Special Task Force Committees of MSBA and HCBA
- National Association of Corporate Directors
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” (nominated by peers)
- “Super Lawyer,” Minnesota Super Lawyers, Minnesota Law & Politics, and Minneapolis/St. Paul magazines
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Student Instructor, Legal Research & Writing, University of Minnesota Law School