Bruce practices with the International, Health Law, Intellectual Property, Corporate Governance & Investigations, and Food, Drug & Medical Device Regulation Groups at Fredrikson & Byron.
Having lived in Belgium and worked in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, Bruce brings significant experience with international business transactions including entity formations, joint ventures, licensing, and distribution as well as general corporate matters.
Bruce’s Health Care experience includes work with medical device companies including Food & Drug law, reimbursement, distribution and compliance with governmental regulations, and investigations in the U.S. and globally.
Bruce’s experience involves intellectual property licensing and counseling on intellectual property strategies for obtaining, defending, and enforcing intellectual property rights.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Bruce worked for Medtronic, Inc. in a variety of capacities, including European General Counsel, Corporate Compliance Officer, and Assistant General Counsel.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1972
- University of Minnesota, B.E.E., 1966
- State of Minnesota, 1972
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1974
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1973
- Health Law
- Intellectual Property
- Corporate Governance & Investigations
- Food, Drug & Medical Device Regulation
- Life Sciences
- Commercial Law
- “Legal and Ethical Aspects of Crisis Management,” University of St. Thomas and Center for Ethical Business Cultures Seminar, January 2007
- “Patent Term Restoration for Medical Devices,” F&B Intellectual Property Seminar, January 2006
- “Experience in Using State of the Art Technology When Establishing a Compliance Program,” Medicare Annual Update, November 1999
- “Ethics Programs Equal Good Business: The Right Thing to Do,” Medical Device & Diagnostic Industry, Volume 20, Number 5 (May 1998)
- “Medtronic’s Approach to Ethics and Doing Business Worldwide,” Minnesota Center for Corporate Responsibility, University of St. Thomas, 1997
- “Re-entering Brazil: How and Why,” ABA International Law Annual Conference, 1996
- “Practical Implications of Medical Device Vigilance,” Legal Education Conference on Medical Vigilance and Post Market Surveillance, Brussels, Belgium, 1992
- “Special Aspects of Government Regulation of Biotechnology,” Advanced Legal Education Seminar on Biotechnology: Principles, Patents and Promises, 1987
- “Methods of Bringing a Medical Device to Market and Product Recalls,” Medical Alley and Faegre & Benson Seminar on Medical Device and Drug Products Liability, 1985
- “Good Manufacturing Practices - Inspections, Recalls,” Chicago H.I.M.A. Conference, 1983
- “Medical Device and Patent Laws Clash,” 34 Food, Drug, Cosmetic Law Journal, 304, 1979
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association, Medical Legal Subcommittee
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Corporate Counsel Association
- Adjunct Professor, University of St. Thomas, Graduate School of Business, International Law, International Business, and Business Law
- Adjunct Professor, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, School of Graduate and Professional Programs, Business Law
- Visiting Professor, Post-Graduate School of Business, Catholic University of Uruguay, 1996, 1997
- Visiting Professor, New York College, Athens, Greece, Master of International Management Program, International Law, 2003