Daniel C. Mott is a shareholder in Fredrikson & Byron’s Corporate group and has a strong background working with both large and small cooperatives across the country. Dan has over 25 years of experience in the organization, structuring, governance, and financing of cooperatives. He advises his clients on matters ranging from basic formation and contracts to complex reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, and other transactional matters. Dan also advises cooperatives on securities, tax and anti-trust issues that are unique to cooperatives. Dan is a frequent speaker on structure and governance issues affecting cooperatives, including the use of new cooperative/LLC hybrid states in place in a number of states.
Dan is an experienced “general counsel” and assists his clients in achieving their business objectives in the context of the increasingly complex legal environments in which businesses operate today. Dan counsels his clients by providing practical, business oriented advice that can be utilized by his clients in making decisions having legal implications.
Dan currently serves as the Chair of the Legal, Tax and Accounting Committee of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, and is the past Chair of the Subcommittee on Venture Capital, Capital Formation and Financial Structures. Dan is a director and past Chairperson of the United
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1986, magna cum laude
- Mankato State University, B.S., Political Science, 1982, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1986
- North Dakota, 1995
- Agribusiness & Cooperatives
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance & Investigations
- Tax Planning & Business Organization
- Commercial Law
- Chair, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, Legal, Tax and Accounting Committee; Past Chair of the Subcommittee on Venture Capital, Capital Formation and Financial Structures
- United Hospital Foundation, Board Member and past Chair
Industry Observer to the National Council of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in connection with a Uniform Agricultural Cooperatives Act
- Chair, Innovative Quality Schools, an authorizer of charter schools in Minnesota