David Sellergren devotes his many years of education and experience to land use and development, environmental law, development financing, housing and redevelopment, state and local government law, and real estate transactions.
David focuses on development and redevelopment approvals for all types of residential, mixed use, retail, office, and industrial land use. He assists clients with government approvals, environmental review and permits, strategic counsel, purchase and sales agreements, development financing, and development agreements.
- Grinnell College, B.A., 1965
- University of Minnesota, J.D., 1968
- National Law Center at The George Washington University, Master of Laws, Environmental Law, 1972
- United States Court of Military Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Office/Office-Tech: Bloomington Central Station, MarketPointe, Minneapolis West/West End, Golden Hills Business Park, Hudson Road Technology Center, Piper Jaffray Tower, Norman Pointe, The Oaks Business Center, Grain Belt Brew House, The Colonnade.
- Commercial: IKEA, LOWE’s, Car Max, WAL-MART, Sam’s Club, Mills Fleet Farm, Oakdale Marketplace, TimberCrest at Lakeville, Elm Creek Commons, Tamarack Business Campus, Woodbury Marketplace, The Shops at Lyndale, The Quarry, Riverdale Village, Ridgedale Festival, Cliff Lake Center.
- Mixed Use/Housing: UMORE Park (University of Minnesota), Ford Plant Redevelopment (St. Paul), Stone’s Throw, Bloomington Central Station, Dean Lakes, Stonemill Farms, Upper Landing, Timbres at Elm Creek, City Walk, Arbor Pointe, East Oaks, Echo Lake, Dufferin Park, Marsh Creek, Middle Creek, Crossroads, Spirit of Brandtjen Farm, River’s Edge, Ford Plant Redevelopment.
- Housing/Golf: Bearpath Golf and Country Club, Tournament Players Club/Deacon’s Walk, Oak Run Shores, Eagle Valley, Tradition (La Quinta, CA).
- Golf: Deacon’s Lodge, Sawmill Golf Club, Logger’s Trail.
- Medical: Methodist Hospital, Woodbury Clinic, Wayzata Medical Center.
- Industrial: Williams Hill, Arlington, and Crosby Lake Business Centers.
- Minnesota State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education:
Development Agreements – 2005
Hot Topics in Land Use – 2003
Developers Agreement Annotated Document Series – 2003
Selected Topics in Local Government Approvals – 2001
Minnesota Transportation Law – 2000
Government Regulation of Subdivisions and Plats – 2000
- Builder’s Association of the Twin Cities: “Annotated Developer’s Agreement,” in Development Academy, 1st Edition, 2006
- “UMORE Park Strategic Plan” (2006), Sasaki Report to the University of Minnesota Outreach, Research, and Education park Steering Committee, Sasaki Associates, Inc., in association with Economics Research Associates and Dahlgren, Shardlow and Uban
- American Planning Association, Minnesota Chapter
Subdivisions, Environmental Review, and Planned Unit Developments – 2001
- Speaker, Fredrikson & Byron's Real Estate Seminar: Development Challenges, Pitfalls, and Trends – 2005
- UMore Development Limited Liability Company (LLC), Board of Governors
- Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, Adjunct Professor, Law and Urban Land Use
- Board of Directors, Land Use Committee Chair, Minnesota Chapter, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Regional Blue Print 2030, ULI Real Estate and Development Advisory Committee to Metropolitan Council
- Authored several articles published in the Minnesota Real Estate Journal and the Minnesota Real Estate Law Journal
- Frequent speaker, continuing legal education seminars
- U.S. Navy, Lieutenant, Judge Advocate General Corps, 1968-1972
- City Attorney, City of Elk River, 1979-1991
Honors & Distinctions
- Midwest Real Estate News Magazine’s Midwest Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame, 2011
- Named NAIOP Minnesota’s 2010 Volunteer of the Year
- Lambda Alpha International
- Who's Who in American Law (Marquis)
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White)
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year, 2011
- Super Lawyer – Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine (formerly Minnesota Law and Politics), Twin Cities Business Monthly, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine
- America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Chambers USA)