Howard brings more than 35 years of diverse legal and business experience to his clients - as business owner and advisor; franchisee and employer; borrower and investor; landlord and tenant; buyer and seller; lawyer and client. Howard’s experience seeing business issues from both sides has taught him to listen well; prioritize problems; discuss alternatives; define the mission; and not let the lawyering get in the way. Howard offers access to a vast array of resources which can help achieve a client’s objectives.
- Saint Thomas Military Academy, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1956
- University of Minnesota, J.D., 1963
- University of Minnesota, B.S., Psychology, 1963
- Minnesota, 1963
- The true value Howard brings to any client matter is his experience counseling companies whose business activities are extremely varied and challenging. He brings to every situation the broad range of experience available at Fredrikson & Byron, as well as numerous consultants who can help accomplish a client’s goals.
- Howard’s real estate practice includes sophisticated financing techniques; raw land acquisition and syndication; residential condominiums; mixed use condominiums; conventional apartments, subsidized apartments and syndication; office buildings; office-warehouse; office-showrooms; hotels; restaurants; shopping centers; restructuring and workouts of troubled projects with and without troubled investors.
- Howard represented the developers in two visible local real estate developments - Landmark Towers (formerly Amhoist Tower) in downtown St. Paul, a combination of parking ramp, office tower and luxury apartment condominiums; and the Embassy Suites, a part of Centre Village in downtown Minneapolis, a combination of parking ramp, hotel, offices and residential. These transactions involved a variety of issues, including air rights, complex property registration, and industrial revenue bond financings.
- Howard has acted as a principal in a wide variety of real estate development and investment activities, and currently is an active real estate investor. As a franchisee and partner, he financed, developed, operated and sold Cost Cutters Family Hair Care Shops in Denver and Colorado Springs. For several year after the sale of the Cost Cutters stores, Howard bought, traded and sold contemporary art for his own account.
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Shopping Center Association