Fredrikson & Byron Ranked Top 100 Law Firm for Women - June 20, 2012
“Diversity among attorneys and staff enriches our firm culturally and professionally. Diversity of thought, experience, and background makes us more creative and innovative, which is the core strength of our client service. Moreover, we and our clients are engaged in business around the world, and our continued success depends upon reflecting the diversity of the communities that we serve.”
Mary S. Ranum
Chairman of the Board and Diversity Committee Chair
Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
Statement of Values
Diversity is a core value of Fredrikson & Byron. To serve our clients and to reflect our community, we will endeavor to hire and retain men and women of diverse ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds, and sexual orientations.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We recognize that a statement alone will not help us achieve a more diverse workforce. Considered steps and actions directed at hiring and retaining lawyers of diverse backgrounds is imperative.
Fredrikson & Byron’s diversity initiative is led by a small committee composed of board members, attorneys, and recruiting professionals. The committee is responsible for identifying and recommending steps for the firm to take to more effectively recruit and retain attorneys of diverse backgrounds at the associate, senior attorney, and partner levels.
Feedback from our current attorneys of diverse backgrounds, as well as from those who have left the firm, is an important component in helping us learn more about their overall experiences at the firm, identify what obstacles to success they’ve encountered, and uncover opportunities for improvement. This feedback is extremely important to creating an atmosphere in which all Fredrikson & Byron attorneys feel they can succeed.
Pursuit of diversity as a core value enables our firm to be a home where professionals and staff who reflect the diversity of our community can achieve success and career fulfillment, individual by individual, which will enrich the professional and personal experience of everyone at Fredrikson & Byron.
We acknowledge both the moral and business imperatives for promoting diversity within our firm and community. Our clients inspire us to create diverse teams of individuals in order to provide innovative solutions to their legal needs.
We aspire to be a leader in both our profession and our community in reflecting diversity as a core value and are proud to highlight the following activities and accomplishments:
- The firm’s hiring efforts include activities designed to increase the diversity of both entry level and lateral level attorneys, including participation in minority job fairs, targeted outreach to associations of minority and other law students and lawyers, and expanded recruiting to include schools with significant diversity in the classes.
- Fredrikson & Byron and the Fredrikson & Byron Foundation jointly developed a Minority Scholarship Program in 1990.
- Since its inception, we have been a participant of MSBA’s Minnesota Minority Clerkship Program, which matches selected, first year students of color from Minnesota law schools with legal employers.
- We provide ongoing support to our attorneys through our mentoring program, skills training, practice development resources, and opportunities for leadership roles in the firm and the community.
- We foster an environment of inclusion where diversity is valued and persons of all backgrounds are respected and welcomed.
- We have a strong representation of women and attorneys of diverse backgrounds chairing the firm’s practice areas and are leaders and/or members of many of the firm’s committees.
- We provide diversity training to our attorneys and support staff.
- Fredrikson & Byron attorney John Stout is a co-founder of the Metropolitan Economic Development Association (MEDA) and he is also a co-founder of the Milestone Growth Fund.
- Fredrikson & Byron is a founding member of Twin Cities Diversity in Practice.
- We are a corporate sponsor of Women of Wind Energy’s (WoWE) Mentoring Program.
- We are an annual sponsor of many events that promote diversity including several bar associations, Human Rights Campaign, and the Metropolitan Economic Development Association (MEDA) Gala.
- The firm supports a women attorney-led initiative, Counsel for Women, focusing on women business owners and executives. The Counsel for Women sponsors a variety of women-focused programs in the business community.
- Fredrikson & Byron’s Counsel for Women is a founding partner of the Women’s Business Development Center (WBDC) Minnesota.
- To foster diversity and inclusion the firm supports a variety of employee resource groups including attorneys of color, working mothers and a LGBT group.