Aleida is a corporate attorney who focuses on helping businesses expand into Latin American markets.
As an attorney in the firm’s International and Corporate Groups, Aleida works to achieve client goals in expanding to foreign markets. She helps clients on matters such as: formation, maintenance and dissolution of foreign subsidiaries; drafting and negotiation of manufacturing, sales, consulting and distribution agreements; and cross-border merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions.
Aleida has experience representing clients on a broad range of international business matters and routinely acts in an outside general counsel role with respect to such matters. She has assisted clients with setting up and dismantling distribution and sales networks in multiple jurisdictions. Her transactional experience includes cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions in diverse industries, including manufacturing and life sciences, and countries, including Latin America and the Caribbean. Aleida works out of Fredrikson & Byron’s Minneapolis office.
International and General Corporate Matters
- Serve as outside general counsel to various private companies operating under maquiladora manufacturing regulations in Mexico.
- Represent medical device manufacturer and manufacturer of graduation products with global distribution networks on matters related to distribution and sales representative agreements.
- Represent dried food products manufacturer with distribution network in Latin America on matters related to distribution and sales representative agreements.
- Drafted initial franchise disclosure document, franchise agreement and accompanying exhibits for discount clothing store franchise.
- Represented franchisor in wind down of clothing store franchise with 22 franchisees.
- Advised beverage company in wind down of distributor network throughout the United States.
- Prepared country by country “playbook” of distributor-related issues in Latin America for nonprofit organization.
- Represented Minnesota-based provider of training services in entrance to Latin American markets through sales representative network.
Merger and Acquisition Transactions
- Assisted plastics manufacturing company with operations in Minnesota and Mexico in its sale to private equity fund for a purchase price of approximately $41.4 million.
- Assisted private company in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a designer and manufacturer of packaging with operations in California and Mexico.
- Assisted Sports Engine in its sale to NBCU.
- Assisted Medtronic in the acquisition of Visualase, Inc.
- Assisted the sellers in the sale of the stock of a software company to Seagate International.
- Assisted private equity fund in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of an insulated wire manufacturer.
- Assisted private equity fund in acquisition and business line divestiture of a medical device manufacturer with operations in the United States and the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Oxbow Industries in the acquisition of a manufacturer of decorative and functional interface products with operations in Minnesota and Mexico.
- Assisted Minnesota-based medical group in merger with integrated healthcare system.
- Assisted private equity fund in tuck-in acquisitions of three manufacturing businesses with operations in the United States and Mexico.
Articles & Presentations
September 30, 2015
By Aleida Ortega Conners & Evan Berquist
On September 18, 2015, the Obama administration announced significant changes to the U.S. sanctions regime that regulates commerce with Cuba.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Key Elements of a Contract,” Neighborhood Development Center, May 23, 2017
- Featured Lawyer, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, June 2016
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2013, magna cum laude
- Florida International University, B.B.A., B.S., 2010, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2013
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2015
- President-Elect (2017-2018) and Board Member, Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association (MHBA)
- Professional Development Committee Member, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Graduate and Member of Planning Committee, Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Student Attorney, University of Minnesota Ronald M. Mankoff Tax Clinic, 2012-2013
- Judicial Extern to Chief Judge George W. Perez, Minnesota Tax Court, 2012
- Volunteer Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers Network Spanish Legal Services, 2013-Present