Andy is an experienced State Capitol professional who creatively develops and executes government relations strategies to further clients’ public policy goals.
As a respected legislative and political strategist, Andy has experience working across many public policy areas, including capital investment, housing, energy, environment, taxes and Legacy Amendment funding. He has particular expertise in energy regulation and state bond authorizations. As a shrewd legislative staffer, he developed many successful strategies to enact complex legislation while demonstrating his flexibility across the wide range of state governmental subjects. Working creatively with clients, Andy finds ways to accomplish their goals whether through legislative, administrative or local government action.
A savvy campaigner, Andy has worked for over a decade developing and refining messaging and strategy for electoral campaigns. He has a deep knowledge base of grassroots engagement and mobilization tactics developed while working for the House Democratic Farmer-Labor (DFL) Caucus and as an independent consultant. Andy’s strong relationships with government officials were often first established on the campaign trail.
At the Capitol, Andy has worked successfully for clients to:
- Obtain $300,000 in new operating support for a non-profit providing legal services to children in foster care.
- Increase the influence of affordable housing interests and secure new funds for housing development and supportive services.
- Push for new policies at the State Board of Investment aimed at supporting veteran, women, and minority owned firms.
- Served the Minnesota House of Representatives as a Committee Administrator to the Energy Division and Local Government Division and as a Research Consultant for a wide variety of committees covering issues including capital investment, legacy, environment, energy, housing and higher education.
- Coordinated strategy for passing The 2007 Next Generation Energy Act which established nation-leading energy efficiency objectives and greenhouse gas emission reduction goals.
- Acquired intimate knowledge of the capital investment process by guiding numerous organizations, advocates and legislators through the process; ensuring their projects received full consideration for funding. Aided leadership during bi-partisan and bi-cameral negotiations to pass over $1.5 billion in capital investments during the 2013-2014 biennium.
- Advised legislators and stakeholders over eight years, including in the use of Legacy funds for establishing new programs and securing first-time funding ranging from large initiatives such as the Greater Minnesota Parks and Trails Commission to niche programs such as the small theaters grants.
- Assists clients in developing and executing campaign direct mail plans using industry best practices, producing over 115 flights of mail and nearly 1.5 million individual pieces of campaign material.
- Developed successful groundbreaking campaign plans and grassroots field programs in Minnesota legislative elections. Managed a campaign budget of $2.7 million and also oversaw a 39 person staff while managing relationships with polling, media and direct mailing vendors.
- Implemented a successful get-out-the-vote (GOTV) plan for the most populous region in Virginia.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Featured in “The Minnesota Way,” Fresh Energy, June 2015
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 2004
- No Coast Workshop, Founder and Owner
- Analyst Institute, Analyst Group Member
- Minnesota Government Relations Council, Member
- Minnesota Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (MN-CCD), Board Member