Andy is very effective in advancing the interests of his clients. He works creatively with clients; finding ways to accomplish their goals that may not have been initially apparent. Strong relationships with policy makers and staff are critical to his success. Andy sees regular client communication as vital to serving his clients and does so through in-person meetings, regularly scheduled calls/reports, and impromptu updates, especially as the pace of a session picks up around deadlines and adjournment.
While working at Fredrikson, Andy has obtained funds for local and state projects including securing the largest local government capital investment funding request in at least a decade. Over a variety of clients, Andy delivered over $165 million in 2017 capital investment funds. Additionally, he also led a coalition to receive $79 million in new funds for housing developments throughout the state. He also has worked extensively with the state’s economic development agency to support business growth and entrepreneurship.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Andy worked eight years at the House of Representatives, including four years as Committee Administrator to the Energy Committee. He staffed the Capital Investment Committee during a biennium that saw the state invest over $1.5 billion in public infrastructure, roads, bridges, and buildings. Among his other involvements, he aided in negotiations over a Vikings football stadium bill in 2010, staffed environmental committees, the Housing Committee, and the Higher Education Committee.
At the Capitol, Andy has worked successfully for clients to:
- Obtain $300,000 in new operating support for a non-profit providing legal services to children in foster care.
- Increase the influence of affordable housing interests and secure new funds for housing development and supportive services.
- Push for new policies at the State Board of Investment aimed at supporting veteran, women, and minority owned firms.
- Served the Minnesota House of Representatives as a Committee Administrator to the Energy Division and Local Government Division and as a Research Consultant for a wide variety of committees covering issues including capital investment, legacy, environment, energy, housing and higher education.
- Coordinated strategy for passing The 2007 Next Generation Energy Act which established nation-leading energy efficiency objectives and greenhouse gas emission reduction goals.
- Acquired intimate knowledge of the capital investment process by guiding numerous organizations, advocates and legislators through the process; ensuring their projects received full consideration for funding. Aided leadership during bi-partisan and bi-cameral negotiations to pass over $1.5 billion in capital investments during the 2013-2014 biennium.
- Advised legislators and stakeholders over eight years, including in the use of Legacy funds for establishing new programs and securing first-time funding ranging from large initiatives such as the Greater Minnesota Parks and Trails Commission to niche programs such as the small theaters grants.
- Assists clients in developing and executing campaign direct mail plans using industry best practices, producing over 115 flights of mail and nearly 1.5 million individual pieces of campaign material.
- Developed successful groundbreaking campaign plans and grassroots field programs in Minnesota legislative elections. Managed a campaign budget of $2.7 million and also oversaw a 39 person staff while managing relationships with polling, media and direct mailing vendors.
- Implemented a successful get-out-the-vote (GOTV) plan for the most populous region in Virginia.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Panelist, “Experts Forum: What’s Next in Affordable Housing?,” Finance & Commerce Panel Discussion, April 2018
- Featured in “The Minnesota Way,” Fresh Energy, June 2015
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 2004
- No Coast Workshop, Founder and Owner
- Analyst Institute, Analyst Group Member
- Minnesota Government Relations Council, Member
- Minnesota Coalition for the Homeless, Board Chair