In the face of the nagging problem of fake products posing as genuine goods in online marketplaces, major e-commerce platforms are continuing to refine their strategies to address counterfeiting.
Barbara’s practice focuses on intellectual property law disputes, with an emphasis on patent litigation.
Barbara represents clients in a wide variety of industries, from medical device manufacturers to food processors. Barbara’s experience enforcing and defending her clients’ intellectual property includes litigating in federal trial and appellate courts across the country, as well as in proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Barbara assists clients in navigating all stages of intellectual property matters, drawing on her experience as a judicial clerk. She is deeply committed to helping clients meet their goals and utilizes her written and oral advocacy skills to help clients achieve successful outcomes. Barbara also maintains an active pro bono practice, currently assisting clients with asylum and anti-counterfeiting matters.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Barbara worked as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea of the Minnesota Supreme Court and as a judicial extern to the Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz in the United States District of Minnesota.
- Representing clients pursuing and defending against correction of patent inventorship claims in the District of Delaware in the food processing and waste processing industries.
- Member of a team representing a leading medical device manufacturer in patent litigation before the Northern District of Illinois and inter partes review proceedings before the PTAB.
- Part of a team defending the world’s leading medical products provider in a patent infringement lawsuit in the District of Minnesota.
- Member of a team representing three major national retailers in patent suits in the District of Minnesota.
- Member of a team that successfully defended a patent litigation in the District of Delaware for a leading food producer, including through appeal to the Federal Circuit and a parallel inter partes review proceeding before the PTAB.
- Trial team member in a case involving the assertion of multiple patents in the District of Minnesota.
Anti-Counterfeiting, Trademark, and Copyright Litigation
- Member of a team representing the Prince Estate in litigation concerning the late star’s intellectual property assets.
- Argued a default judgment motion in the District of Minnesota against a music bootlegger, obtaining a $7 million award based on willful copyright infringement and trademark counterfeiting.
- Obtained summary judgment, a permanent injunction, and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs against a copyright infringer in the District of Massachusetts.
- Won default judgment in the District of Rhode Island against a copyright infringer.
- Member of a trademark litigation team that obtained injunctive relief for a national beverage company in the Southern District of New York.
- Representing an English-speaking Cameroonian seeking asylum to avoid violent discrimination from the French-speaking government. Successfully obtained asylum for a similarly-situated client.
- Advising a trademark owner in defending her rights against counterfeiters.
- Briefed and argued a successful motion to dismiss on behalf of a Federal Pro Se Project client in the District of Minnesota.
Articles & Presentations
September 25, 2018
Three new judges have recently joined the Minnesota federal bench, returning the District of Minnesota to full strength for the first time in more than two years.
December 8, 2017
Over a year after the Supreme Court’s decision in Halo Electronics, district courts continue to disagree over what is required to adequately plead a claim for willful infringement. The District of Minnesota is beginning to enter the fray.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “The Year in Review for Minnesota IP Litigation,” MIPLA Stampede, May 2018
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2016, magna cum laude
- Carleton College, B.A., 2013, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2019-2020
- Minnesota Law Review; Lead Managing Editor, 2015-2016; Member, 2014-2015
- Order of the Coif
- Dorothy O. Lareau Writing Award
- Section Co-Lead, The Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Member, Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, PTAB Bar Association
- Judicial Clerk, Honorable Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea, Minnesota Supreme Court, 2016-2017
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Judge Patrick J. Schiltz, U.S. District Court of Minnesota, 2016
- Volunteer Attorney, The Advocates for Human Rights
- Law Clerk, Asylum Law Project, Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center, El Paso, Texas, 2014