Brant is an experienced litigator focusing on energy and utilities litigation, complex commercial litigation, condemnation and employment litigation.
In his energy law practice, Brant represents clients in regulatory permitting and contested case proceedings before administrative agencies as well as in state and federal courts. He has tried numerous condemnation commissioner hearings, in addition to representing clients in condemnation appeals before Iowa district courts. Brant regularly represents individuals and businesses in contract, real estate, debtor-creditor and business tort litigation as well as employment litigation.
Brant represents clients in all phases of litigation, has tried numerous cases through both jury and bench trials and has argued before the Iowa and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeals. His broad experience includes representing a major pipeline company in securing necessary regulatory approvals before the Iowa Utilities Board and the statewide condemnation of easements for a crude oil pipeline, as well as trial victories in cases ranging from employment non-compete litigation to successfully defending a family partnership in a federal jury trial involving a dispute over memorabilia from the home of Elvis Presley.
- Represented pipeline company in obtaining permit for a crude oil pipeline before the Iowa Utilities Board.
- Represented pipeline company in statewide condemnation of easements for a crude oil pipeline.
- Successfully argued before Iowa Court of Appeals and obtained affirmation of district court’s grant of summary judgment to financial institution client in UCC lien priority dispute. Westco Agronomy Company, LLC v. Iowa Plains Farms, Inc., et al. (Iowa Ct. App. 2013).
- Secured dismissal of breach of easement suit against pipeline company in Decatur County, Iowa state court litigation. Toney Ranch, Inc. et al. v. Magellan Pipeline Company, LP (Decatur County, Iowa 2011).
- Obtained six-figure judgment in bench trial against former employee for breach of non-compete covenant. Rally Appraisal, LLC v. Clore (Polk County, Iowa 2015).
- Represented grocery store chain in obtaining summary judgment in ADEA suit brought by former employee. Cross v. Foods, Inc. (S.D. Iowa 2012).
- Obtained six-figure award for Chicago-based mortgage originator in breach of contract suit against former employer. Sommese v. American Bank & Trust Co. (Iowa Ct. App. 2014).
- Argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and successfully defended claims on remand in jury trial regarding ownership of collection of Elvis Presley memorabilia. Est. of Pepper v. Whitehead, et al. (8th Cir. 2015).
- Represented community bank in embezzlement-related proceedings against former employee. South Ottumwa Savings Bank v. Adam (S.D. Iowa 2012).
- Represented National Gypsum Company before Iowa Court of Appeals in real estate boundary dispute with competitor. Georgia Pacific Gypsum, LLC v. New NGC, Inc. (Iowa Ct. App. 2011).
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Strategies for Drafting Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, September 24, 2015
- Presenter, “A Review of Iowa’s Unemployment Compensation Laws and Process,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, October 7, 2014
- Author, “Carbon Sequestration as Agriculture’s Newest Market: The State of Play for Carbon Cap-and-Trade,” Drake Journal of Agricultural Law, 2010
- Author, “Highlighting the Drawbacks of the UIGEA: Proposed Rules Reveal Heavy Burdens,” 57 Drake Law Review 515, 2009
Honors & Education
- Drake University Law School, J.D., 2009, with highest honors
- Central College, B.A., 2006, cum laude
- Iowa, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2011
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2014
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2016-2018
- Drake Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Iowa Association for Justice