On May 23, 2013, Governor Dayton signed an Omnibus Tax Bill into law that may have a significant impact on clients who reside in Minnesota and those who reside outside of Minnesota but own property located in Minnesota.
Cameron helps individuals, families and family businesses implement a variety of tax and estate planning strategies to protect their property and transfer it from one generation to the next.
Cameron focuses his practice entirely on estate planning and administration and was elected as a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel in 2010. Cameron’s clients include family businesses and their owners, public company executives, doctors, lawyers, athletes, and family offices. He also assists individual and corporate executors and trustees with the administration of estates and trusts.
Estate Tax Planning
- Cameron helps clients to ensure that the terms of their testamentary documents (wills and revocable trusts) minimize tax by taking full advantage of the available state and federal exemptions and deductions.
- He also helps clients to use and leverage their available transfer tax exemptions during their lives with irrevocable trusts, family partnerships and limited liability companies, business recapitalizations, and other strategies.
- On several occasions, Cameron has obtained court orders or private agreements reforming wills, trusts and other legal documents to allow clients who have previously engaged in transactions without proper planning to avoid taxes and other negative consequences.
- Cameron has represented business owners, inheritors of family wealth, doctors and other professionals, and public company executives in the drafting and negotiation of antenuptial agreements to protect their assets in the event of a divorce.
- He has also represented many clients in negotiating changes to antenuptial agreements proposed by their prospective spouses.
- Regardless of the side of the negotiation on which he finds himself, Cameron works hard to be sure the agreement is fair to both sides without causing undue expense and stress.
Trust and Estate Administration
- Cameron helps individual and corporate trustees and personal representatives with the administration and distribution of trusts and estates.
- He has extensive experience in probate court, but is usually able to facilitate the administration of a trust or estate with little or no court involvement.
Family Business Succession
- Cameron enjoys working as part of a team of advisors to facilitate the transfer of a family business from one generation to the next in a tax-efficient manner and with minimum disruption to the business.
- He focuses on strategies that will be fair to all family members and will minimize the risk of disputes regarding ownership and operation of the business.
Probate and Trust Disputes
- Cameron helps resolve disputes among beneficiaries and fiduciaries regarding the administration and distribution of trusts and estates.
- In cases that cannot be resolved by negotiation, he works together with the trial lawyers of the firm’s Trust & Estates Litigation group to represent his clients in court proceedings.
Tax Compliance and Controversies
- Cameron supervises the preparation of state and federal gift, estate and fiduciary income tax returns.
- He also represents taxpayers and fiduciaries in the defense of tax audits.
- Cameron assists clients with the establishment and operation of private family foundations.
- He also advises clients regarding a variety of charitable giving strategies, including restricted charitable gifts, donor advised funds, charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Articles and Publications
- “Succession Planning,” co-authored with Todd D. Andrews, Representing the Ongoing Business, Chapter 11, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (2nd Ed. 2017)
- “Drafting Wills and Trust Agreements,” co-authored with Todd D. Andrews and others (a/k/a the Wax & Seal Committee), Minnesota Continuing Legal Education
Cameron is a frequent presenter at continuing legal education seminars. Recent presentations include the following:
- “Minnesota Legislative Update,” Minnesota State Bar Association Probate and Trust Section Conference, St. Paul, Minnesota, June 10, 2019
- “Brilliant Estate Planning You No Longer Need? Unwinding the Plan Due to Death, Divorce or Desire,” 31st Annual ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Law National CLE Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, May 10, 2019
- “Large Estate Panel,” Minnesota State Bar Association Probate and Trust Section Conference, St. Paul, Minnesota, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019
- “Troubleshooting Irrevocable Trusts – Choosing the Right Tool for the Job: How to Use the Newly Expanded Set of Tools for Changing Irrevocable Trusts to Solve Old Problems Without Creating New Ones,” Minnesota State Bar Association Probate and Trust Section Conference, St. Paul, Minnesota, June 6, 2016
- “Trust Decanting,” American College of Trust and Estate Counsel 2015 Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, December 12, 2015
- “Drafting in 2015: A Discussion of the Major Revisions to the 7th Edition of the Drafting Wills and Trust Agreements Deskbook,” St. Paul, Minnesota, June 8, 2015
- Quoted in the article, “Minnesota Gift Tax Kicks in Monday,” N. Woltman, St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 28, 2013
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, 1998, cum laude
- University of Minnesota Duluth, Bachelor of Arts, 1995, magna cum laude
- Marquette University Study Center in Madrid, study abroad program, 1993
- Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1998
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year”in Minneapolis Trusts and Estates, 2019
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide, Private Wealth Law, Minnesota, 2018-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2018-present
- American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, Fellow, Member – Minnesota Nominating Committee
- Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory, AV® Peer Review Rated (highest possible rating)
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Minnesota Bar Association, Probate & Trust Section Council, Treasurer and Legislation Co-Chair
- Member, Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education, 2008-2014
- Former Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Law School
- Volunteer Lawyers Network