On March 16, 2020, the Department of Commerce, Energy Environmental Review and Analysis issued its Recommendations on Review of Solar and Wind Decommissioning Plans.
Christy advises utilities, independent power producers and pipeline companies on siting, routing, permitting and other regulatory matters before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission and other federal, state and local agencies.
Christy guides clients through complex regulatory and permitting processes needed to construct, own and operate large energy, transmission and pipeline projects. She regularly appears before state regulators, administrative law judges and county and township boards. She also advises on regulatory matters related to power purchase agreements, development agreements, road agreements and asset purchase agreements and conducts environmental and permitting compliance due diligence reviews.
- Lead counsel in certificate of need and site permit proceedings for over 400 MW of solar generating facilities in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel in certificate of need and site permit proceedings for over 1600 MWs of wind energy generation facilities located in Minnesota.
- Obtain certificates of need and site permits for over 1600 MWs of wind energy generation facilities located in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel to solar developer in contested case proceeding seeking approval of 100 MW distributed solar project in Minnesota.
- Conduct due diligence review of permitting and environmental compliance for wind and solar facilities throughout the Midwest.
- Co-counsel to independent transmission company in obtaining certificate of need, route permit and right-of-way acquisition for 345 kV transmission line.
- Lead counsel to independent power producer seeking certificate of need and routing approval for 115 kV transmission line in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel to independent transmission company seeking approval to transfer route permit for existing HVDC Transmission Line.
- Lead counsel to independent transmission company seeking minor alteration to rebuild 115 kV transmission line.
- Advise clients negotiating generator interconnection agreements for generators in the Midcontinent Independent Operator System.
- Lead counsel in certificate of need and route permit proceedings for over 300 miles of liquids pipeline located in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel to carbon dioxide pipeline company seeking approval for over 175 miles of pipeline in Minnesota.
- Advise clients on enforcement actions involving the state agency regulators.
- Lead counsel to applicant in contested case hearing seeking individual 401 Water Quality Certificate from Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
- Advise clients on implementation of complex regulatory and permitting compliance issues.
- Draft and negotiate Bird and Bat Conservation Strategies (BBCS) and Eagle Conservation Plans (ECP) with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for wind farms and transmission lines.
- Lead counsel to distribution and manufacturing facility in successful application to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services for standard bald eagle take permit.
- Draft and negotiate development, road use and drainage agreements for wind farms, solar farms and transmission lines.
- Represented pipeline company in appeal challenging Minnesota Pollution Control Agency decision to granting individual 401 Water Quality Certification for 340-mile replacement pipeline. Agency decision affirmed.
- Represented pipeline company in appeal brought by multiple groups challenging MPUC decision granting a certificate of need and route permit for 340-mile replacement pipeline. Agency decision affirmed.
- In the Matter of Freeborn Wind Energy LLC’s Application for a Large Wind Energy Conversion System Site Permit for the 84 MW Freeborn Wind Farm in Freeborn County, (Minn. Ct. App. A19-1195, A20-0947 April 19, 2021). Represented wind farm project owner in appeal brought by landowner group challenging MPUC decision to amend site permit, deny contested case hearing, and deny motion for separate environmental review under Minnesota Environmental Policy Act. Agency decision affirmed in all respects.
- Advise investor-owned utility on sales forecast and demand side management testimony in rate case proceeding.
- Co-counsel to investor-owned utility in contested case proceeding seeking approval of energy conservation program.
- Negotiate utility financial incentive for energy conservation and demand side management programs.
- Lead counsel for coalition of wind developers in agency rulemaking proceeding to amend Minnesota’s certificate of need, siting and routing rules.
- Draft legislation amending community wind energy legislation.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, worked at the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources (formerly Office of Energy Security) and Minnesota House of Representatives.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Tips and Tricks for Successful Environmental Appeals,” Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section, December 14, 2021
- Presenter, “Minnesota’s Community Solar Program,” Issues in Minnesota Energy and Electric Utility Regulation Webinar, June 4, 2021
- Co-author, Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization Model Law, Biogas Facility Permitting, May 2021
- Presenter, “Energy & Environment: Renewable Energy – Permitting and Repowering” Minnesota CLE Webcast, September 20, 2019
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2007, magna cum laude
- Southwest Minnesota State University, B.A., Political Science and Public Administration, 2002, summa cum laude
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Administrative / Regulatory Law and Energy Regulatory Law, 2020-present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012
- Minnesota Lawyer, Up and Coming Attorney, 2008
- Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, Inspiring Efficiency Leadership Award, 2008
- Board of Director, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- Co-Chair, Associate Development & Retention Committee (ADRC), Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- Chair, Energy Department, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- Past Chair, Minnesota Bar Association: Public Utilities Section, 2016-2017
- Pro bono attorney, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota and Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid