Fredrikson & Byron has elected 11 new shareholders: Kristin N. Blenkush, Christina K. Brusven, Jason R.S. Cassady, Joseph J. Cassioppi, Krista A.P. Hatcher, Patrick D. Mahlberg, David R. Phillips, Jeffrey J. Serum, Christopher A. Stafford, Adam R. Steinert and Masha M. Yevzelman.
Christy advises utilities, independent power producers and pipeline companies on siting, routing, permitting and other regulatory matters before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission and other federal, state and local agencies.
Christy guides clients through complex regulatory and permitting processes needed to construct, own and operate large energy, transmission and pipeline projects. She regularly appears before state regulators, administrative law judges and county and township boards. She also negotiates power purchase agreements, development agreements, road agreements and asset purchase agreements and conducts environmental and permitting compliance due diligence reviews.
Learn More About Energy Regulation:
- Obtain certificates of need and site permits for over 500 MW of wind energy generation facilities located in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel to solar developer in contested case proceeding seeking approval of 100 MW distributed solar project in Minnesota.
- Conduct due diligence review of permitting and environmental compliance for wind and solar facilities throughout the Midwest.
- Co-counsel to independent transmission company in obtaining certificate of need, route permit and right-of-way acquisition for 345 kV transmission line.
- Lead counsel to independent power producer seeking certificate of need and routing approval for 115 kV transmission line in Minnesota.
- Lead counsel to independent transmission company seeking minor alteration to rebuild 115 kV transmission line.
- Negotiate generation interconnection agreements for wind energy generators in the Midcontinent Independent System Operator system.
- Lead counsel to pipeline companies seeking certificates of need and pipeline routing permits for over 600 miles of pipelines in Minnesota.
- Advise clients on implementation of complex regulatory and permitting compliance issues.
- Draft and negotiate Bird and Bat Conservation Strategies (BBCS) and Eagle Conservation Plans (ECP) with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for wind farms and transmission lines.
- Lead counsel to distribution and manufacturing facility in successful application to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services for standard bald eagle take permit.
- Draft and negotiate development, road use and drainage agreements for wind farms and transmission lines.
- Advise investor-owned utility on sales forecast and demand side management testimony in rate case proceeding.
- Negotiate utility financial incentive for energy conservation and demand side management programs.
- Lead counsel for coalition of wind developers in agency rulemaking proceeding to amend Minnesota’s certificate of need, siting and routing rules.
- Draft legislation amending community wind energy legislation.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, worked at the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources (formerly Office of Energy Security) and Minnesota House of Representatives.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Real Estate Valuation in Condemnation Appraising in Minnesota,” North Star Chapter of the Appraisal Institute, November 11, 2016
- Presenter, “Federal Production Tax Credit and Investment Tax Credit,” RMEL Renewable Planning and Operations Conference, Denver, Colorado, October 13, 2016
- Presenter, “Wind Turbine Decommissioning,” RMEL Renewable Planning and Operations Conference, Denver, Colorado, October 13, 2016
- Moderator, “Working Through the Complexities of Permitting Renewable Energy Projects,” Law Seminar International’s Seventh Annual Renewable Energy in the Midwest Conference, October 8-9, 2015
- Mentioned in the article, “Solar Power Wins ALJ’s Favor To Meet Utility Shortfalls,” Law360, January 2, 2014
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2007, magna cum laude
- Southwest Minnesota State University, B.A., Political Science and Public Administration, 2002, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 2007
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012
- Minnesota Lawyer, Up and Coming Attorney, 2008
- Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, Inspiring Efficiency Leadership Award, 2008
- Past Chair, Minnesota Bar Association: Public Utilities Section, 2016-17
- Pro bono attorney, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, 2011-present