When we normally think of the term “decanting,” we think of it applying to wine. When one decants a bottle of wine, the wine is poured from the bottle into a decanter where the wine is exposed to air which allows it to “breathe.” Now when this term is used, it can also be applied to trusts in Minnesota.
Chris focuses his practice on estate planning, business succession planning, probate, trust administration and related areas of real estate and property law.
He also handles a wide variety of business and tax planning work for clients, including charitable planning and dealing with the special estate planning problems of owners of closely held businesses.
Articles & Presentations
June 1, 2016
Significant changes to Minnesota trust law became effective on January 1, 2016. The changes adopt a number of new concepts and modernize Minnesota’s laws to be similar to the trust laws of other retirement-friendly states. The act consists of 11 new articles based, in large part, upon the Uniform Trust Code (UTC), as well as a new chapter that includes the concept of trust decanting (together, the New Act). This latter subject will be covered in a future article. The New Act will apply to all trusts created before, on or after January 1, 2016, with limited exceptions.
July 7, 2015
Super Lawyers Magazine recognized 36 Fredrikson & Byron attorneys as 2015 Minnesota Super Lawyers and 15 attorneys as Minnesota Rising Stars.
August 18, 2014
Fifty-nine Fredrikson & Byron attorneys were included in The Best Lawyers in America 2015© (Copyright 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Minnesota Trust Administration Manual: Valuation and Other Issues in Transferring Real Estate,” MCLE, 2005; annual updates 2007-present
- “Minnesota Estate Administration – Real Estate,” MCLE, 2002; annual updates 2007-present
Honors & Education
- Valparaiso University, J.D., 1978
- Concordia College, B.A., 1974, cum laude
- Minnesota, 1978
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1989
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 1995-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Trusts and Estates, 2011-present
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Minneapolis Trusts and Estates, 2013; Litigation – Trusts and Estates, 2019
- Minnesota Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine
- Alumni Achievement Award, Valparaiso University, 2010
- Recipient of the Eugene P. Daly, Jr. Award, Minnesota State Bar Association, Probate and Trust Law Section, 2004
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, elected 1992
- Chairperson, Minnesota State Bar Association, Special Committee to study adoption of Uniform Trust Code in Minnesota, 2010-present
- Chairperson, Minnesota State Bar Association, Probate and Trust Law Section, 1998-99; Officer, 1995-2000; Legislation Committee, 1985-present, Chair, 1993-98
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association, Probate and Estate Law Section; Officer, 1990-98
- State Chair, Minnesota American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Board of Directors, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2001-2007
- Board Member, The Salvation Army Twin Cities Advisory, 1998 – present; Chair of Programs and Services Committee, Executive Committee, 2006 – present
- Regional Chair, National and Regional Advisory Boards, Valparaiso University School of Law, 2009-2011