Super Lawyers Magazine recognized 36 Fredrikson & Byron attorneys as 2015 Minnesota Super Lawyers and 15 attorneys as Minnesota Rising Stars.
Erik is an experienced energy and transactional attorney, with expertise in renewable energy project development and finance, and in M&A and corporate finance transactions across a wide variety of industries.
Erik is a shareholder in Fredrikson & Byron’s Renewable Energy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate and Securities Groups. His practice focuses on assisting clients with the development and financing of renewable energy projects in many fields, including wind, solar, hydro and biomass. Erik helps his clients obtain and negotiate power purchase agreements, hedging or swap arrangements, project investment and finance documents and project sale and acquisition agreements. In addition, Erik advises clients with respect to a variety of renewable energy development arrangements, including joint- and co-development structures in the wind and solar industries.
In addition, Erik helps clients across a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing, life sciences, clean technology, biotechnology, medical device, retail, and service providers, through acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, reorganizations and capital investment transactions. He also provides his clients with fundamental business advice, including with respect to general business matters, including establishment of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, corporate governance and general contractual drafting and negotiation.
With his background and ties to California, Erik also assists and advises clients desiring to do business or establish a presence on the West Coast and helps California companies with their operations in the Midwest.
- Represented renewable energy developers in over 4,000 MW of project development
- Negotiated over 2,000 MW of power purchase agreements and hedging/swap contracts
- Represented renewable energy developers and owners in over 1,000 MW of project sales and acquisitions
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented AGA Medical Holdings, Inc. in its sale to St. Jude Medical, Inc.
- Represented Carlson, Inc. in the sale of its Carlson Marketing Worldwide business to Aimia, Inc. (f/k/a Groupe Aeroplan, Inc.)
- Represented management in a $165,000,000 buyout of U.S. operations of a large London Stock Exchange homebuilder
- Represented a leading beef producer in an approximately $100,000,000 acquisition by a national beef packing company
- Represented a southern California insurance company in a $20,000,000 stock sale to a subsidiary of a National Banking Association
- Represented national biofuel company in $15,500,000 acquisition of a Texas biodiesel facility
- Represented a janitorial services company in an $11,000,000 acquisition by a nationally known strategic partner
- Represented publicly held IT company in a $9,000,000 acquisition of a defense contractor
- Represented a private internet lead generation company in an $8,000,000 acquisition by national e-commerce company
Corporate and Renewable Energy Finance
- Represented a nationally recognized real estate investment group in over $50,000,000 in private equity offerings
- Represented wind and solar energy project development companies in multiple rounds of private and public financing of over $15,000,000
- Represented a health sector technology company in over $10,500,000 in 3 separate tiered rounds of preferred financing
- Represented a high tech manufacturing company in $5,000,000 of multiple rounds of private financing
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Moderator, “Community Solar: What’s the Opportunity?” 2019 Infocast Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, March 19, 2019
- Moderator, “Latest Developments in the Community Solar Market,” 2018 Infocast Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, March 20, 2018
- Co-Chair, “Executive Briefing,” 2018 Infocast Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit,February 6-8, 2018
- Presenter, “Deal Making Workshop: Essential Project Development Contracts and the Challenge of Making Them Work in Harmony,” Law Seminar International’s Ninth Annual Renewable Energy in the Midwest Conference, October 4, 2017
- Moderator, “Community Solar Market Outlook,” 2017 Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, CA, March 21, 2017
- Presenter, “Renewable Energy Project Financing: 2016 and Beyond,” Mid-America Regulatory Conference, Bismarck, North Dakota, June 14, 2016
Honors & Education
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2001, magna cum laude
- University of Wisconsin, B.S., Genetics, 1997
- Minnesota, 2007
- California, 2001
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2011-2013, 2015
- California Western Law Review and International Law Journal, Editor, 1999-2001
- California Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- University of Wisconsin Alumni Association
- California Western Alumni Association
- National W Club
- Minnesota Planetarium Society, Program Committee, 2010-2011