Gavin is a seasoned corporate lawyer specializing in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, international business transactions, and corporate and commercial matters relating to China.
Gavin has a decade of experience in advising clients on complex cross-border transactions relating to China. Gavin has advised Fortune 500 companies, multi-national corporations and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, divestitures and corporate restructurings, and other corporate and regulatory matters in China. His track record spans across a wide range of industries including automobile, agriculture, food and beverages, life sciences, manufacturing, chemicals, shipping, technology and distribution. Gavin also advises Chinese clients on acquisitions outside of China.
Gavin was recognized as a Rising Star by Legal Media Group in Expert Guides 2015 and 2017.
- Represented Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical (Group) Co., Ltd. in its various investment projects in the United States, Germany, France, Denmark, Sweden, etc.
- Represented Fincantieri S.p.A., a world leading cruise design and manufacturing company, in the formation of a cruise design and manufacturing joint venture in China with China State Shipbuilding Corporation
- Represented dormakaba International Holding AG, a global security group listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange, in its acquisition of certain mechanical security business from Stanley Black & Decker
- Represented Jaguar Land Rover in its formation of a car manufacturing joint venture with Chinese partner Chery Automobile Co., Ltd. with a total investment of around USD 2 billion
- Represented a world leading agribusiness and crop protection company (publicly listed in various Stock Exchanges) in subscribing for shares of a Chinese A-listed company
- Represented a U.S. air-conditioning, heating and refrigeration systems manufacturer in a collaboration project with a world-renowned logistics company in the cooperative development of transport refrigeration modules for use in container applications
- Represented a French auto parts manufacturer in its contemplated joint venture project in China engaging in development and manufacturing of auto parts and components
- Represented a world leading modular house manufacturer in its formation of a joint venture in China with a Chinese modular building and container house manufacturer and the subsequent corporate and employment issues
- Represented a New York based financial institution in disposal of its equity interest in a Chinese securities joint venture
- Represented a world-leading U.S. pulp and paper products manufacturer in the disposal of its entire equity interest in a Chinese joint venture
- Represented a world-leading European newsprint manufacturer in its exit from the Chinese market by transferring its entire equity interest in Chinese joint ventures to a Chinese newsprint manufacturer
- Represented David Atkins Enterprises, a world leading events and production company, in its production of the Opening Ceremony of Shanghai Expo 2010
- Advised an Israel based world-leading chemicals manufacturer on its operational corporate matters
- Advised a Swedish industrial coating manufacturer on the dismissal of the senior management team of its Chinese subsidiaries where the management team was secretly soliciting proposals from private equity firms for a LBO over its China businesses and other related issues
- Advised a world-leading French auto parts manufacturer on its various employment issues
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Speaker, “Dawn of a New Era: China Revises Inbound Foreign Investment Laws,” Hong Kong & Shanghai, November 2016
- Co-Speaker, “2015 Roundup: A Year of Reform for Foreign Investment in China,” Shanghai, December 2015
- Co-Speaker, “Reform on Foreign Investment Law in China: How Far has it Gone,” Hong Kong, May 2015
- Co-Speaker, “The Amended PRC Company Law: What Does It Mean to Foreign Invested Enterprises,” Hong Kong & Shanghai, May 2014
- Co-Author, “Capital Accounts Unlocked,” China Law & Practice, November 10, 2014
Honors & Education
- New York University School of Law, LLM
- East China University of Political Science and Law, LLM
- Ningbo University, B.A.
- PRC (currently inactive)
- New York (admitted)
- Mandarin Chinese (native)
- English (fluent)
- LMG Rising Star, Expert Guides, 2017
- LMG Rising Star, Expert Guides, 2015
- Legal Focus Committee, British Chamber of Commerce Shanghai
- Legal Focus Committee, European Chamber of Commerce Shanghai