As the area of NIL continues to evolve, it is important for student-athletes, parents, advisors and coaches to stay up-to-date on the most current changes to the rules, because there is nothing more important than preserving one’s eligibility.
Jacob M. Abdo
Assistant: Julie Witt, 612.492.7728
“I help clients achieve their strategic objectives and gain a competitive advantage through diligent and forward-thinking legal counsel.”
Jacob is a transactional attorney who works with businesses and creative professionals to protect and commercialize their valuable intellectual property.
Jacob has expertise in trademark and copyright prosecution, maintenance, enforcement and licensing agreements. He also advises on copyright fair use, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Music Modernization Act.
Jacob is a published author of Entertainment Law related articles and serves as the Associate Editor of the Entertainment & Sports Lawyer. Prior to law school, Jacob was a full-time performing, writing and recording musician.
Articles & Presentations
July 7, 2020
Delays caused by workforce shortages, supply chain disruptions and bad business practices may give rise to unanticipated (and costly) liability.
June 22, 2020
The United States Patent and Trademark Office is accepting petitions to prioritize review of certain COVID-19 related trademarks.
USPTO Further Extends Certain Patent Filing Deadlines; Trademark Deadline Extension Expires May 31, 2020
May 29, 2020
The USPTO has extended the time to file certain patent-related documents and pay certain fees. Additionally, trademark-related deadlines extended under the CARES Act will expire on May 31, 2020.
May 4, 2020
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has again extended the time to file certain patent and trademark-related documents and to pay certain fees.
April 27, 2020
Under U.S. law, a brand cannot advertise that its products prevent, treat or cure human disease unless the brand possesses competent and reliable scientific evidence substantiating that the claim is true.
April 15, 2020
Copyright law plays an important role in the sharing of creative content. Whether you are an employer, an educator or a creative professional, legal guidance can help you avoid unintentionally violating copyright law.
April 6, 2020
Pandemic profiteers and trademark pirates are taking advantage of these difficult times by selling counterfeit goods to an unsuspecting public.
April 6, 2020
The CARES Act calls for the USPTO to toll, waive, adjust or modify deadlines for certain patent and trademark-related filings during the COVID-19 outbreak.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-author, “Exceptions and Limitations to United States Copyright Law: A Music Law Analysis,” International Association of Entertainment Lawyers, July 2021
- “What You Need to Know About the Music Modernization Act,” Landslide, 2019
- “Creative Estates & Celebrity Legacy Planning,” SXSW, Austin, TX, 2019
- “Estate Planning for the Special Cases: Athletes, Celebrities, Entertainers, and Select Others—Planning for the ACES,” Symposium, San Diego, CA, 2018
- “Rock of Aging,” Fiduciary Summit, Santa Barbara, CA, 2018
- “Termination of Music Copyright Transfer: The Renegotiation Reality, Landslide, 2019
- “The Value Gap’s Disruptive Impact on the Online Music Marketplace,” Tech: Disruption and Evolution in the Environment Industries, Cannes, France, 2018
- “Will Streaming Services Turn the Tide or Leave the Music Industry High and Dry?” Tech: Disruption and Evolution in the Environment Industries, Cannes, France, 2017
- “Keeping Princess Peach Locked in Her Castle: Criminal Liability for Trafficking Circumvention Technology,” WM Mitchell Law Review, 2015
Honors & Education
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, J.D., 2016, summa cum laude
- University of Minnesota, 2012
- California, 2019
- Minnesota, 2020
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2020
- Attorney Grader, GRAMMY® Awards Entertainment Law Initiative Writing Competition, 2021
- Associate Editor, The Entertainment & Sports Lawyer, 2019-present
- Board Member, MN Film & TV, 2020-present
- Secretary, The California Society of Entertainment Lawyers, 2018-2019