Fredrikson & Byron shareholders Lora Friedemann, Cynthia A. Moyer, John C. Pickerill and Ann Dunn Wessberg have been named to the 2019 World Trademark Review 1000 (WTR 1000) for Minnesota.
John C. Pickerill
Assistant: Wendy Munt, 612.492.7548
John Pickerill is a trademark and advertising attorney, with a specific emphasis on social media legal issues.
John assists clients with trademark planning, prosecution and enforcement, social media marketing planning and compliance, ad copy and sweepstakes/promotions compliance, industry agreements, dispute resolution, content licensing, and a wide range of copyright matters. John has developed a specialty in guiding clients through the legal minefield of internet marketing, including site-specific promotional restrictions, privacy issues, and applying traditional legal theories to the ambiguous world of social media.
Before law school, John spent over five years as an advertising executive at Carmichael Lynch Advertising managing campaigns for such clients as Harley-Davidson, Rollerblade and Volvo Trucks. This real-world experience in branding and marketing gives John a unique comfort level in the industry, allowing him to provide his clients with practical, business-focused advice.
John graduated magna cum laude from William Mitchell School of Law and was named to the Law Review. John was named one of the top 50 trademark attorneys in the U.S. in 2008 by Trademark Insider magazine. He has been on the Advertising Federation of Minnesota Board for 6 years and serves as legal counsel for Ad Fed Minnesota, the American Institute of Graphic Artists and Alphabet Bash—a local consortium of marketing industry trade organizations.
Learn More About Trademark Law:
How can my trademark be enforced internationally?
What is the most effective type of trademark?
- Advertising Copy Compliance
- Sweepstakes Compliance
- Social Media Planning & Enforcement
- Mobile Marketing Issues
- Trademark Searches/Registrations
- Domain Name Selection/Protection
- Copyright Searches/Registrations
- Trademark/Copyright Disputes
- NAD/NARB Challenges
- Advertising Legal Disputes
- Errors/Omissions Insurance Review
- Agency/Client Agreements
- Celebrity Talent Agreements
- Website Development Agreements
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Music License Agreements
- Trademark Licensing Agreements
Articles & Presentations
May 30, 2017
May 4, 2017
On June 8, 2017, John Pickerill participated in a panel discussion on how technology and innovation are shaping the customer experience.
February 1, 2016
Michael Jordan Is Still Getting All the Calls from Officials – A Cautionary Tale About Publicity Rights
August 24, 2014
When Michael Jordan was inducted into the Basketball Hall Of Fame, it was a big deal for every Chicago Bulls fan and the whole town of Chicago. It is also turning out to be a big deal in the world of publicity rights.
February 24, 2014
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-presenter, “What’s Trending in the World of Advertising Law?” Fredrikson & Byron program co-hosted with Ad Fed, September 13, 2018
- Co-presenter, “#CanWeSayThat? AdLaw Answers from Industry Pros,” Fredrikson & Byron Advertising Law Seminar, February 27, 2018
- Panelist, “Agency Valuation and M&A Cycles: The Unspoken Impact on the Business and its Employees,” AdFed Program, July 27, 2017
- Presenter, “The Future of Customer Experience,” Agosto, Fredrikson & Byron and Padilla Panel, June 8, 2017
- Presenter, “Wolves at the Door: National and Local Efforts to Tax Advertising,” AdFed and Fredrikson & Byron Panel, June 2016
- Quoted in “Stephen R. Bergerson: When Mad Med Become Lawyers,” Attorney at Law Magazine, October 2014
- World Trademark Review 1000, World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2014
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude; Law Review
- Iowa State University, B.S., Journalism/Advertising, 1990, graduated with Phi Kappa Phi honors
- Minnesota, 2002
- World Trademark Review 1000 (2016-2019) – Ranked as a leading trademark attorney
- CSC Trademark Insider Report, Top 50 Trademark Attorney, 2008
- William Mitchell Law Review
- Magna Cum Laude
- Minnesota Super Lawyers; Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine; Twin Cities Business, Rising Star, 2007
- Account Executive, Carmichael Lynch Advertising, 1994-1999, managing marketing campaigns and building brands for such clients as Harley Davidson, Rollerblade and United HealthCare (an invaluable education for any ad law and trademark attorney)
- Advertising Federation of Minnesota, former Board Member and legal counsel
- American Institute of Graphic Arts, legal counsel
- Art Buddies, Board Member