Minnesota Governor Tim Walz issued an emergency order on March 25, 2020, directing all persons living in Minnesota to stay at home as part of the state’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The order takes effect on Friday, March 27, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. and ends Friday, April 10, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
Joe assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, SEC compliance and general corporate matters. Joe is also a member of the firm’s Investment Management Group and specializes in representing wealth advisors, including registered investment advisors (RIAs) and brokers.
Joe’s mergers and acquisitions practice includes representation of both strategic and private equity clients on buy- and sell-side transactions with values ranging from less than $1.0 million to over $500 million.
Joe’s securities law practice includes representation of companies in the offering of debt and equity securities, such as convertible debt, Series Seed and Series A financings. Joe also represents companies on initial public offerings, shelf offerings and ongoing SEC reporting compliance.
Joe also represents a number of RIAs and brokers on a broad range of matters relating to their wealth advisory practices, including advice on partnership agreements, mergers and acquisitions, solicitor and sub-advisory arrangements and other ongoing operational matters.
Joe is a volunteer for the Children’s Law Center of Minnesota and represents foster kids pro bono in child protective services cases.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Joe was a CPA primarily engaged in financial process redesign, internal audit and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Joe also designed and managed retail financing programs and extended warranty and insurance products for a large powersports manufacturer.
- Represented private equity clients on several platform sales with transaction values in excess of $500 million.
- Represented private equity client on a sale of an aviation components company.
- Represented private equity client on an $11 million acquisition of a gaming company.
- Represented private equity client on a $35 million acquisition of an adhesives manufacturer.
- Represented private equity client on a $45 million acquisition of an automotive parts distributor.
- Represented private equity client on a $40 million acquisition of a heavy equipment component supplier.
- Represented private equity client on a $25 million acquisition of a safety products distributor.
- Represented private equity client on a $20 million acquisition of an electrical components manufacturer.
- Represented biotech client on a $10 million acquisition of a biosciences company.
- Represented liquor distributor on a $4 million brand acquisition.
- Represented medical technology company on a $200 million sale.
- Represented shareholders on a $7 million sale of a software company.
- Represented shareholders on a $1 million sale of a software company.
- Represented shareholders on a $50 million sale of a construction services business.
- Represented ESOP company on a $30 million sale.
- Represented multiple RIAs on acquisitions of wealth advisory practices with assets under management ranging from $100 million to more than $500 million.
- Represented Celcuity Inc. (NASDAQ: CELC) on its initial public offering (IPO).
- Represented Craig-Hallum Capital Group, LLC as underwriter on the IPO of Miromatrix Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ: MIRO).
- Represented Magnetation LLC on a $325 million 144A offering of senior secured notes.
- Represented medical device company on a $10M Series A financing.
- Represented medical device company on a $20M Series A financing.
- Represented pharmaceutical company on a $2.5M Series Seed financing.
- Represented biotech company on a $15M Series A financing.
- Represented technology company on a $1.0M convertible note financing.
- Represented energy technology company on a series of preferred equity investments and joint ventures.
Pro Bono Representation
- Children’s Law Center Volunteer Attorney, 2013 – Present
- Asylum Law Project Volunteer, 2010 (co-drafted winning appellate brief for client upon which the Board of Immigration Appeals overturned lower court’s denial of asylum)
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-presenter, “Looking to Sell? Pre-Sale Considerations and Strategies to Avoid State Tax Pitfalls,” Fredrikson & Byron Webinar, October 8, 2020
- Contributing Panelist, “Contract Performance for Small Businesses,” Corporate Institute Practice Scholars – University of Minnesota Law School, hosted by the Small Business Administration, July 22, 2020
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.S.B., 2005, summa cum laude, high distinction
- Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2012
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Minnesota – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, 2022
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2013, 2015
- Minnesota Justice Foundations Public Service Challenge Participant, 2010-2012
- Minnesota Law Review, Managing Editor, 2011-2012; staff member, 2010-2011
- Certified Public Accountant (currently inactive)
- Licensed FAA Private Pilot
- Former Judicial Extern, Honorable Janet N. Poston