Katie works closely with individuals and families to develop a uniquely tailored estate plan that provides for an orderly succession of family assets.
Katie’s trusts and estates practice focuses on the preparation of wills, trusts and related estate planning documents such as powers of attorney, health care directives and real estate conveyances and leases. Katie also guides families, trustees and personal representatives through post-death probate and trust administration with the help of a team of experienced probate paralegals. Estate planning ranges in complexity from simple wills to revocable living trusts with sophisticated transfer tax strategies and family succession provisions. Oftentimes, the formation of an entity such as a limited liability company (LLC) or limited liability limited partnership (LLLP) is advisable to hold and manage real estate. Each estate plan recommendation is tailored to each client’s unique needs, with thoughtful consideration given to sensitive family and financial situations. Katie regularly works with clients’ close advisors—accountants, insurance professionals, and financial planners—to ensure that each client receives a comprehensive and workable estate plan.
- Wills, trusts, powers of attorney and health care directives.
- Preparation and negotiation of premarital and postmarital agreements.
- Assisting fiduciaries (trustees, personal representatives, executors) with estate and trust administration.
- Preparation of gift and estate tax returns.
- Formation of business entities to hold and manage various types of real estate, including mineral interests, agricultural real estate, lake property and investment property.
- Revocable living trusts with creditor and divorce protection, estate tax and generation skipping tax minimization and probate avoidance.
- Lifetime gifts of family businesses, real estate and other substantial assets into irrevocable trusts.
- Formation of and advice regarding charitable giving vehicles, including private foundations, charitable remainder trusts (CRTs), charitable lead trusts (CLTs) and donor advised funds.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Estate Planning in Uncertain Times,” Fargo INC!, October 2018
- Quoted in “To Fix a Broken System,” High Plains Reader, August 13, 2018
- Speaker, “The Probate Process from Start to Finish,” National Business Institute, June 2016, June 2018
- Speaker, “Best Practices in Trusts and Estates Law,” State Bar Association of North Dakota and Young Lawyers Section, October 2016
- Featured, “The Women of Fredrikson & Byron Law Firm,”Area Woman, June 2016
Honors & Education
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, J.D., St. Paul, Minnesota, 2011, cum laude
- Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota, B.A., 2004, cum laude
- North Dakota, 2012
- Minnesota, 2012
- Florida, 2011
- Justice for All Lawyer, State Bar Association of North Dakota, 2017-2018
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2014-2015, 2017
- Clerk, Judge John H. Scherer, Seventh Judicial District, St. Cloud, Minnesota, 2012
- Clerk, Judge Frederick L. Grunke, Seventh Judicial District, St. Cloud, Minnesota, 2012
- University of St. Thomas Law Journal, Articles Editor, 2010-2011; Associate Editor, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Red River Valley Estate Planning Council
- Cass County Bar Association
- Clay County Bar Association
- Volunteer attorney, Minnesota Council for Veterans Pro Bono Veterans Clinic, 2013
- Pro bono estate planning services, 2013-present
- Board of Directors, Theatre B
- Board of Directors, Fargo-Moorhead Opera