With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to impact businesses within the healthcare industry, the Minnesota Department of Revenue on May 14, 2020, again offered relief to businesses with upcoming MinnesotaCare tax payment obligations.
Kyle M. Brehm
Assistant: Gina Guthmiller, 612.492.7515
“Don’t persuade, defend or interrupt. Be curious, be conversational, be real. And listen.” — Elizabeth Lesser
Kyle is a tax attorney with more than a decade of experience working with companies to resolve a broad spectrum of issues related to State and Local Tax matters.
Kyle is a State and Local Tax practitioner, focused on providing value to clients across a variety of industries: healthcare, financial services, manufacturing and retail. He develops the tax departments with which he works, providing training sessions to clients and evaluating existing processes in order to recommend and design process improvements which utilize innovative technology. In addition to advising his clients, Kyle frequently serves as a speaker for several professional organizations on topics related to Indirect Tax and relevant technology.
Kyle assists clients by discovering opportunities for cash tax savings related to existing, revised and proposed state and federal legislation and administrative rulings. Kyle leverages these opportunities while completing refund reviews and defending clients against State audit activity. Kyle works diligently to provide clients with increasingly accurate sales tax compliance. He conducts nexus reviews, completes taxability research and automates the results of evaluations through varying software solutions. Kyle helps clients mitigate risk in the Indirect Tax space through the negotiation of Voluntary Disclosure Agreements, as well as conducting due diligence related to merger and acquisition activity.
Multistate Indirect Tax (sales/use and healthcare provider taxes)
- Refund Reviews
- Audit Defense
- Entity Restructuring/Planning
- Risk Mitigation
- Process Enhancements/Technology
Articles & Presentations
April 13, 2020
With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to disrupt business operations, the Minnesota Department of Revenue on April 10, 2020, offered additional relief to those businesses with upcoming MinnesotaCare tax payment obligations.
April 10, 2020
On April 9, 2020, in its latest response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Minnesota Department of Revenue offered expanded relief for businesses impacted by Emergency Executive Order 20-04. The expanded relief measures extend the payment deadline associated with these returns to May 20, 2020.
March 23, 2020
The Minnesota Department of Revenue, recognizing that several of the businesses subject to MinnesotaCare Tax have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, announced certain relief measures for businesses who were unable to properly file returns by March 16, 2020.
March 19, 2020
Responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz issued Emergency Executive Order 20-04 on March 16, 2020.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-presenter, “How COVID-19 Is Forcing States and Taxpayers to Re-Sweep the Minefield,” Fredrikson & Byron Webinar, August 13, 2020
- Co-presenter, “SALT Controversy Strategies from Audits through Litigation,” The State Tax Webinar Series, hosted by Fredrikson & Byron and Minnesota Society of CPAs, April 30, 2020
- Co-presenter, “Responding to COVID-19: A Tax Administrator Panel Perspective,” The State Tax Webinar Series, hosted by Fredrikson & Byron and Minnesota Society of CPAs, April 16, 2020
- Co-presenter, “Who’ll Stop the Rain? Best Practices in Coping with the Ever-Expanding Grid of Taxable Financial Services,” 2018 Institute for Professionals in Taxation Sales Tax Symposium
- Co-presenter, “Sales & Use Tax Update: National Trends & State Application,” 2017 ABA/IPT Advanced Sales and Use Tax Seminar
- Co-presenter, “Illegal or Just Frowned Upon? An Exploration of Black, White, and Gray Areas,” 2017 ABA/IPT Advanced Sales and Use Tax Seminar
- Co-presenter, “Bad Debts: How Contractual Terms and Sales Tax Intersect,” 2017 Institute for Professionals in Taxation Annual Conference
- Speaker, “Administration, Litigation, and Legislation, Oh My! Ongoing and Emerging Issues within the Sale for Resale Exemption,” 2016 ABA/IPT Advanced Sales and Use Tax Seminar
- Co-presenter, “The Sales Tax Implications of Software as a Service,” 2016 Institute for Professionals in Taxation Annual Conference
- Co-presenter, “Potpourri”, 2015 ABA/IPT Advanced Sales and Use Tax Seminar
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota – Carlson School of Management, MBA, 2009
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2009
- St. John’s University, B.A., 2005
- Minnesota, 2010
- Conference Chair, Institute for Professionals in Taxation Sales Tax Symposium, 2017
- Committee Member, Institute for Professionals in Taxation Sales Tax Symposium, 2014-2017
- Committee Member, Institute for Professionals in Taxation Advanced Sales and Use Tax Academy, 2012
- Treasurer, eQuality – Pathways to Potential, 2018
- Board Member, eQuality – Pathways to Potential, 2012-2018