In her energy law practice, Lisa represents utility, cooperative and transmission companies facing administrative, regulatory and litigation issues in multiple states relating to complex transmission line permitting, tariffs and utility property rights.
Lisa represents utilities seeking approvals from the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission and other state commissions and federal agencies to construct new facilities. She has acted as lead regulatory counsel for high voltage transmission projects in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin and obtained approvals for 950 miles of new 345 kV facilities. She has transmission line NEPA experience with the Rural Utilities Service and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service and has obtained state public utility status for a new market entrant. She also regularly advises on vegetation management requirements, and utility land rights disputes.
Lisa concentrates a portion of her practice on real estate litigation. She has represented utility, housing and redevelopment and municipal clients in condemnation matters and has also assisted clients with mortgage foreclosures, title insurance claims, partition actions, adverse possession and commercial lease disputes.
Prior to attending law school, Lisa was a newspaper reporter in California and Kansas.
Lisa received her Doctorate of Business Administration at Metropolitan State University in August 2016. The title of her dissertation was “Evaluating Minnesota Courts’ Business Case Processing Efficiency: Does Money Matter?”
- In the Matter of the Route Permit Application by Northern States Power Company for the Black Dog to Savage 115 kV Transmission Line Project in Dakota County, Order Issuing Route Permit, Docket No.: E-002/TL-09-1448, (May 3, 2013).
- In the Matter of Xcel Energy’s Application for a Route Permit for the CapX 2020 Hampton-Rochester-La Crosse High Voltage Transmission Line, Order Issuing Route Permit as Amended, Docket No.: E-002/TL-09-1448 (May 30, 2012).
- In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company for High Voltage Transmission Line Route Permit for the Hiawatha 115 kV Transmission Project, Order Issuing Route Permit as Amended, Docket No.: E-002/TL-09-38 (Feb. 10, 2012).
- In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company for a Certificate of Need for Two 115 kV High Voltage Transmission Lines in the Midtown Area of South Minneapolis, Order Granting Certificate of Need, Docket No.: E-002/CN-10-694 (Feb. 10, 2012).
- In the Matter of the Application for a Route Permit for the Fargo to St. Cloud 345 kV Transmission Line Project, Findings of Fact, Conclusion of Law, and Order Issuing an HVTL Route Permit to Xcel Energy and Great River Energy, Docket No.: E002, ET2/TL-09-1056 (June 24, 2011).
- In the Matter of the Route Permit Application for a 345 kV Transmission Line from Brookings County, South Dakota to Hampton, Minnesota, Order Granting Route Permit, Docket No.: ET-2/TL-08-1474 (Sept. 14, 2010).
- In the Matter of the Application for a Route Permit for the Monticello to St. Cloud 345 kV Transmission Line Project, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Order Issuing an HVTL Route Permit to Xcel Energy and Great River Energy Docket No.: E002, ET2/TL-09-246 (July 12, 2010).
- In the Matter of the Application of Xcel Energy for a Route Permit for the Mary Lake 115 kV Transmission Project, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Order Issuing a Route Permit to Xcel Energy for the Mary Lake 115 kV Transmission Line Project, Docket No.: E-002/TL-07-1365 (Sept. 17, 2008).
- In the Matter of the Application of Xcel Energy for a Route Permit Application for the Yankee Substation to Brookings County Substation 115 kV High Voltage Transmission Line Project, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Order Issuing a Route Permit to Xcel Energy for the Yankee Substation 115 Kilovolt High Voltage Transmission Line Project, Docket No.: E002/TL-07-1626 (Aug. 12, 2008).
- In the Matter of the Application for Certificate of Need for Three 115 kV Transmission Lines in Southwestern Minnesota, Order Granting Certificates of Need, Docket No.: E-002/CN-06-154 (Sept. 14, 2007).
- In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company d/b/a Xcel Energy for a Pipeline Routing Permit and Partial Exemption from Pipeline Route Selection Procedures Pursuant to Minnesota Rules Chapter 4415, Order Issuing Pipeline Route Permit, Docket No.: G002/GP-05-1706 (Feb. 27, 2006).
- In the Matter of Xcel Energy’s Application to the Environmental Quality Board for a Route Permit for a Buffalo Ridge-White 115 kV Transmission Line, Route Permit for Construction of a High Voltage Transmission Line in Lincoln County, Minnesota Issued to Northern States Power Co. d/b/a Xcel Energy, Docket No.: 04-84-TR-XCEL (March 17, 2005).
- In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company (d/b/a Xcel Energy) for a Certificate of Need for a Large Electric Generation Facility Order Granting Certificate of Need and Requiring Discussion with the Department, Docket No.: CN-04-76 (June 25, 2004).
- In the Matter of the Application of Northern States Power Company d/b/a Xcel Energy for Certificates of Need for Four Large High Voltage Transmission Line Projects in Southwestern Minnesota, Order Granting Certificates of Need Subject to Conditions, Docket No.: E-002/CN-01-1958 (March 11, 2003).
- Joint Application of American Transmission Company LLC and Northern States Power Company-Wisconsin, as Electric Public Utilities, for Authority to Construct and Operate a New Badger-Coulee 345 kV Transmission Line from the La Crosse Area, in La Crosse County, to the Greater Madison Area in Dane County, Wisconsin, Docket No.: 5-CE-142 (April 23, 2015)
- Joint Application of Dairyland Power Cooperative, Northern States Power Company-Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Public Power, Inc., for Authority to Construct and Place in Service 345 kV Electric Transmission Lines and Electric Substation Facilities for the CapX Twin Cities-Rochester-La Crosse Project, Located in Buffalo, Trempealeau, and La Crosse Counties, Wisconsin, Final Decision, Docket No.: 5-CE-136 (May 30, 2012).
- Application of Northern States Power-Wisconsin to Construct and Operate a 69 kV Transmission Line and Substations to be built in the Towns of Stanton and Star Prairie, St. Croix County, Wisconsin, Certificate and Order, Docket No.: 4220-CE-172 (Oct. 19, 2010).
- Northern States Power Company Fargo-St. Cloud MN 345 kV Cap-X Transmission Line Siting Application, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Order, Docket No.: PU-07-759 (Sept. 12, 2012).
- In the Matter of the Application of Xcel Energy for a Permit to Construct 6.5 Miles of 115 kV Transmission Line and Associated Modifications to the Brookings Substation, Decision and Order Approving and Granting to Construct Transmission Facilities, Docket No.: EL08-001 (Feb. 05, 2009).
Representative Energy Law Appellate Matters
- In re Xcel Energy’s Application for Route Permit for CapX 2020 Hampton-Rochester-La Crosse High Voltage Transmission Line, Nos. A12-1632, A12-1607, 2013 WL 2460343 (Minn. Ct. App. June. 10, 2013) (affirming Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s grant of a Route Permit for 345 kV transmission line).
- City of Oxbow v. North Dakota Public Serv. Comm’n and Northern States Power Co., a Minnesota Corporation, File No. 09-2012-CV-03147 (Cass Cnty. Dist. Ct. Order, Dec. 21, 2012) (dismissing appeal of Certificate of Corridor Compatibility and Route Permit for 345 kV line by all but one appellant based on lack of standing).
- In re Route Permit for Constr. of a Substation & a High Voltage Transmission Line in Dakota Cnty, Nos. A05-661, A05-662, 2006 WL 618903 (Minn. Ct. App. Mar. 14, 2006) (affirming Environmental Quality Board’s grant of Route Permit for 115 kV transmission line).
OTHER REPRESENTATIVE APPELLATE MATTERS
- Hempel v. Creek House Trust, 743 N.W.2d 305 (Minn. Ct. App. 2007); No. A08-1288, 2009 WL 1919612 (Minn. Ct. App. Jul. 7, 2009) (affirming denial of claim of right of first refusal based on expiration of statute of limitations).
- Serier v. Central St. Croix Rod and Gun Club, Inc., 2009 WI App 128, 321 Wis. 2d 241, 773 N.W.2d 226 (Table), No. 2008AP2550 2009 WL 2151820 (Wis. Ct. App. Jul. 21, 2009) (remanding for entry of permanent injunction based on settlement of trespass claims).
- Metro. Airports Comm’n v. Brandon Square III, No. A06-661, 2007 WL 1322320 (Minn. Ct. App. May 08, 2007) (affirming district court’s finding that fee taking for noise mitigation was reasonably necessary).
- Berne Area Alliance for Quality Living v. Dodge Cnty. Bd. Of Comm’rs, Nos. A05-1780, A05-1672, 2006 WL 2405095 (Minn. Ct. App. Aug. 22, 2006 (affirming county’s grant of CUP for hog confinement facility).
- State v. Menth, No. A05-1547, 2006 WL 1984730 (Minn. Ct. App. Jul. 18, 2006) (remanding to trial court for omnibus hearing to determine standing to challenge search Fourth Amendment grounds).
- Hous. & Redevelopment Auth. of City of Saint Paul v. ExxonMobil Oil Corp., No. A05-551, 2006 WL 997699 (Minn. Ct. App. Apr. 18, 2006) (affirming trial court’s finding that taking of property for residential use and elimination of restrictive covenants served a public purpose).
- Minneapolis Police Relief Ass’n v. Canizo, No. A04-1266, 2005 WL 1389323 (Minn. Ct. App. Jun. 14, 2005) (reversing district court’s post-judgment joinder of mortgagee and application of collateral estoppel in mortgage foreclosure action).
- State v. Quitberg, No. A03-142, 2004 WL 235539, (Minn. Ct. App. Feb. 10, 2004) (reversing conviction and remanding for new trial based on trials court’s failure to obtain explicit and personal waiver of jury trial prior to Lothenbach stipulation).
- Hous. & Redevelopment Auth. of St. Paul v. Lambrecht, 663 N.W.2d 541 (Minn. 2003) (affirming trial court’s determination that tenant lacked compensable interest in real estate at time of condemnation based on lease termination provision).
- State v. Cervantes, No. C5-02-391, 2002 WL 31661649 (Minn. Ct. App. Nov. 26, 2002) (reversing conviction based on lack of reasonable articulable suspicion of drug related crime prior to search of vehicle using drug detecting dog).
- Citizens for a Safe Grant v. Lone Oak Sportsman’s Club, Inc., 642 N.W.2d 796 (Minn. Ct. App. 2001) (affirming district court’s grand of a permanent injunction of gun club based on nuisance, trespass and violation of the Minnesota Environmental Rights Act).
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Transmission Line Siting – Local vs. State Control. Is There a Federal Role?,” Land Use Institute CLE, Miami, Florida, February 1-2, 2017
- Co-presenter, “Permitting and Approvals for Linear Energy Transmission and Pipeline Projects,” American Law Institute CLE - Eminent Domain & Land Valuation Litigation, San Diego, California, January 26, 2017
- Panelist, “Moving People, Water and Energy Through Your Property: Eminent Domain and Infrastructure Construction,” ABA Annual Meeting - Section of State and Local Government Law, San Francisco, CA, August 2016
- Co-author, “The Economics of Justice,” Defense Research Institute (DRI), July 28, 2014
Honors & Education
- Metropolitan State University, Doctorate of Business Administration, 2016
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1996, summa cum laude
- Wichita State University, M.B.A., 1993
- Northwestern University, M.S.J., 1988
- Santa Clara University, B.A., 1987
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- United States Supreme Court
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Advisory Committee Member, Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, In re: Amendments to Rules Governing Certificates of Need and Site and Route Permits for Large Electric Power Plants and High Voltage Transmission Lines, 2013-2014
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Unmarried Couples Task Force – Criminal Law Subcommittee, 2009
- St. Paul Police Civilian Review Commission – Former Member
- Member, Minnesota Supreme Court, Advisory Committee on the Rules of Evidence, 2005-2006, 2015-present
- Minnesota Supreme Court Gender Fairness Implementation Committee, 1998
- Member, ALS Association, Minnesota Chapter, Board of Directors, 2002-2005
- Reports Editor, Energy Law Journal, 2014-present
- Guest Reviewer, Journal of College Teaching and Learning, 2014
- Clerk, Honorable Kathleen A. Blatz, Minnesota State Supreme Court, 1996-1997