Luis is an international lawyer with law degrees from Mexico and the United States. He practiced law in Mexico for six years and has a combined legal experience of more than 20 years. Luis helps clients achieve their cross-border business goals.
Luis routinely assists clients in the acquisition of companies with operations in other countries, primarily in Latin America. He aids companies in establishing operations in foreign jurisdictions. He counsels clients through all stages, including deciding which jurisdictions and corporate structure are most beneficial, seeking and negotiating incentives, negotiating real estate leases or purchases, helping with employment issues including negotiating with unions, and obtaining the necessary licenses to operate. Luis has particular expertise working with companies to establish maquiladora (IMMEX) operations.
Luis also works with investors in mining projects and has participated in multiple real estate development projects throughout Latin America. Luis routinely counsels companies setting up distribution channels in multiple jurisdictions, including negotiations with distributors and sales representatives.
In the United States, Luis practices commercial law and franchise law. He represents clients from multiple countries in their operations in the U.S., including tax planning, estate planning, corporate structure, mergers and acquisitions, and contract negotiations and drafting.
Luis is the co-chair of the Latin America Practice Group. He also oversees Fredrikson & Byron’s offices in Mexico and serves as the primary liaison in the firm’s relationship with the Mexican law firm Gabinete Corporativo, S.C.
Luis is uniquely qualified to represent U.S. clients doing business in Latin America and Latin American clients doing business in the U.S. His dual legal education and licensing, understanding of the different legal systems (civil code and common law), and background and deep appreciation of the cultural differences allows him to provide exceptional and thorough counseling to clients with cross-border operations.
Learn More About International Law:
International – Outbound Projects
- Represents a premier multinational electronics company in its operations in Latin America. Advised the company in establishing manufacturing facilities and in major corporate reorganizations. Maintains corporate record books, prepares and reviews contracts with suppliers, and provides regular counsel regarding day-to-day business operations.
- Routinely counsels companies in cross-border M&A transactions in various industries, including technology, medical device, real estate, tooling, mining, injection molding, packaging, and apparel.
- Has helped numerous companies establish maquiladora (IMMEX) operations, including setting up the corporate structure, negotiating contracts for real estate, seeking and negotiating government incentives, drafting contracts, and preparing, filing and pursuing applications to obtain the necessary programs, licenses and permits.
- Has represented multiple companies in separation/severance negotiations with employees in Mexico in high damages risk cases.
- Works with a client in the animal feed industry to set up distributors and sales representatives in various countries in Latin America and Asia.
International – Inbound Projects
- Counsels foreign companies in setting up operations in the U.S.
- Advises foreign professional athletes playing in the U.S. in different matters, including estate planning, business advice and tax issues.
Mexico Mining Experience
- Represents one of Mexico’s most important mining groups.
- Works frequently with foreign investors in mining projects in Mexico.
Latin America Real Estate Experience
- Represented U.S. real estate developers with projects in Costa Rica, Peru, Panama and Mexico, negotiating the purchase of land, obtaining permits for the development, negotiates financing and preparing sales documents to sell houses and condos.
- Advises multiple franchisors, including drafting and filing franchise disclosure documents.
Articles & Presentations
March 21, 2014
Mexico’s Tax Administration Service (SAT) has signaled that intends to apply the new maquila requirements strictly. Companies using a maquiladora structure that are selling part of their production in Mexico, earning part of their income from non-maquila activities, or that otherwise do not fully comply with the new requirements must take action. All maquiladoras must be in full compliance with the new requirements by July 1, 2014.Read More
January 7, 2014
On December 26, 2013, the president of Mexico published a decree granting tax incentives to the maquiladora industry. The decree lessens the impact of some of the changes under the tax reform. The decree became effective on January 1, 2014. Read more for a summary of important aspects of the decree.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Quoted in “Target, Best Buy CEOs to Meet with Trump on Tax Plan,” StarTribune, February 15, 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Trends in Global Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management,” Fredrikson & Byron Foreign Manufacturing Seminar, January 19, 2017
- Presenter, “Cross Border Mergers & Acquisitions,” Practical Perspectives, February 26, 2015
- Presenter, Medical Marijuana in Minnesota: The Practical Impact on Physicians and Health Care Providers, May 2014
- Presenter, Mexico Tax Reform Briefing, February 2014
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2001, cum laude
- Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Chihuahua, Mexico, LL.B., Law, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 2001
- Licensed to practice law in Mexico, 1994
- Native Spanish Speaker
- Portuguese (read and write)
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 25 on the Rise Award, 2010
- The Business Journal, 40 Under Forty - Young and Promising Business Person, 2004
- International Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association
- International Section of the American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising – American Bar Association
- Frequent Lecturer on International Contracts at the Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Chihuahua, Mexico.