My company was either ineligible for, or did not receive, a loan under the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Is there other financial relief we may be overlooking under the CARES Act?
Using his knowledge and experience in tax, Mark provides creative, smart and practical solutions to achieve client objectives in M&A transactions.
Mark’s practice focuses on tax planning for mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, joint ventures, financings, entity formations, executive compensation, investment funds, and complex work outs and debt restructurings. He has extensive experience representing private equity funds and their portfolio companies, including advising on over 150 transactions involving PE funds. He also regularly represents closely-held businesses, banks, public companies and management in M&A transactions. Mark advises clients across a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, services, food products, consumer goods, technology, life sciences and healthcare. He represents U.S. companies doing business abroad as well as foreign companies doing business in the U.S.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark served as international tax counsel for a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a U.S. pharmaceutical company in a sale to a foreign buyer for $1.05 billion.
- Represented a provider of clinical trial software in connection with a $40 million minority investment from a private equity fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of an executive search firm and related ad-on acquisitions.
- Represented management in a sale of a financial services firm to a leading global private equity fund.
- Represented a consulting firm in a sale to a portfolio company of a global private investment firm.
- Represented a privately-owned bank in a tax-deferred merger transaction under Section 368(a) of the Code.
- Represented a privately-owned bank on a sale of its subsidiary to a public company for over $425 million.
- Represented a U.S. public company on a sale of a water services business to a foreign buyer for $270 million.
- Represented management in a sale of a manufacturing business to KKR.
- Represented a U.S. pharmaceutical company in a sale of intellectual property to a foreign buyer for over $250 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of outdoor lifestyle products in an acquisition from a private equity fund for $500 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of a manufacturer and distributer of consumer healthcare products and related ad-on acquisitions.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of a leading provider of business technology solutions from an ESOP.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of dental practices and a subsequent exit transition.
- Advised on the tax aspects of a sale of a multinational consumer electronics business in a transaction governed by Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition and subsequent sale of a leading sport protection company.
- Represented a snack food company in a sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of an environmental consulting firm to a foreign buyer.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a supplier of safety, surface preparation and environmental products.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a manufacturer and distributor of strip doors, air doors and related products.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a manufacturer of amphibious all-terrain utility vehicles.
- Represented a leading industrial/commercial water treatment company in a sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented an Italian private equity fund in acquisitions of U.S.-based audio equipment companies.
Articles & Presentations
Business-Related Tax Changes Made by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)
March 30, 2020
The CARES Act, signed into law on March 27, 2020, makes important changes to certain key tax provisions for businesses affected by COVID-19.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “The Tax Act and its Impact on Growth”, ACG Monthly Luncheon, March 19, 2019
- Speaker, “M&A: Updates & Key Trends in 2018”, Business Law Institute, May 7, 2018
- Speaker, “Alternative Equity Structures,” Multifamily Finance Summit, September 2017
- “New Guidance Issued on Treating Partners as Employees,” June 8, 2016
- “Federal Budget Suspends Medical Device Tax and Makes Permanent Research and Development Credit,” January 11, 2016
- “Dramatic Changes to Partnership Audit Rules Will Require Advance Planning and Changes to Partnership Documents,” December 8, 2015
- Speaker, “Middle Market Mergers & Acquisitions Webcast,” October 7, 2013
Honors & Education
- University of Florida College of Law, LL.M., 1995
- Hamline University School of Law (now Mitchell Hamline School of Law), J.D., 1994
- Princeton University, A.B., 1991
- Minnesota, 1994
- Georgia, 1995
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2008
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Member
- International Fiscal Association, U.S. Branch, Member