Mike assists clients in the energy and natural resources industry on permitting and land rights matters with experience serving upstream, midstream and downstream clients.
Mike has significant experience representing clients in the upstream oil and gas industry. He has prepared numerous drilling and division order title opinions and transactional real estate documents for oil and gas exploration and production companies, primarily in North Dakota’s Bakken formation.
Mike’s permitting and land rights experience includes federal, state and local permitting, zoning and easement review for pipelines and renewable energy facilities. He also assists with environmental due diligence for mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Mike worked at an energy and environmental consulting firm focusing on environmental review, environmental permitting and agency consultations for the construction and operation of oil and gas transmission pipelines and natural gas distribution systems. Mike developed an understanding of pipeline construction and operations while working in Houston at the headquarters of a natural gas transmission pipeline company.
- Prepared drilling and division order title opinions in North Dakota’s Bakken field with complex mineral and leasehold chains of title and ownership, including the Missouri River, abandoned townsites, railroads, metes and bounds tracts, federal exploratory units and secondary recovery units.
- Assisted a crude oil pipeline company with permitting and land rights.
- Assisted wind farms with permitting, zoning and land rights.
- Assisted a solar energy facility in site permit proceedings and local permitting.
- Assisted with environmental due diligence for mergers and acquisitions.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson, assisted a natural gas transmission pipeline company in the preparation of environmental reports for a FERC application requesting authorization of a 50-mile expansion project in Minnesota.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson, assisted a natural gas transmission pipeline company in the preparation of environmental reports for a FERC application requesting authorization of the abandonment of segments of four transmission pipelines crossing the Mississippi River.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson, obtained federal and state environmental permits and approvals for the construction and operation of energy projects, including Army Corps of Engineers wetland/waterbody permits, NPDES construction stormwater permits, hydrostatic test water use and discharge permits, threatened and endangered species consultations, cultural resources consultations and tribal consultations.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson, assisted a natural gas utility in developing and implementing a comprehensive environmental review program for the construction of natural gas distribution lines.
- Prior to joining Fredrikson, assisted in the acquisition of right-of-way easements, township road crossing permits, county utility permit and zoning variances for a natural gas service line in Minnesota constructed to provide service to an ethanol facility.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Featured in “Estate Planning Workshops: Estate Planning Counsel Offered to Seniors,” Toward Justice, Spring 2015
Honors & Education
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2006, with distinction
- Iowa State University, B.S., 2002, with distinction
- Minnesota, 2009
- North Dakota, 2011
- Iowa, 2006
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2015-2016
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Volunteer attorney for Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid