Fredrikson & Byron has elected six new shareholders: Jeremy P. Duehr, Youn-Jin Kim, Nicholas J. Monson, Andrew J. Neumann, Patrick J. Seul and David G. Waytz.
Nicholas J. Monson
Assistant: Justine Patten, 612.492.7525
“Clients need an attorney who can not only identify key issues in their real estate transactions, but also solutions to those issues. I take great pride in formulating effective and efficient solutions for my clients.”
Nick helps clients navigate a broad array of real estate matters, including commercial finance transactions, acquisitions, dispositions, lease negotiations and capital markets transactions.
Nick regularly represents institutional lenders, borrowers, private equity funds, corporate entities, landlords, tenants, developers and private individuals in commercial real estate and finance transactions. He works with clients throughout all stages of the commercial real estate life cycle on a national basis, in addition to regularly providing local counsel services.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Nick worked at a national law firm in Minneapolis where he advised clients on commercial real estate transactions, including the financing, acquisition, management and disposition of commercial and residential real estate and the formation and structuring of joint venture agreements.
- Represented borrower in connection with the origination of multiple loans which were used to redevelop the Macy’s Building in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota into a mixed-use retail, recreational and office use building including the practice ice rink for the Minnesota Wild.
- Represented national lender in connection with the origination and closing of a $44MM loan secured by a leasehold mortgage in the State of Florida.
- Represented corporate borrower in connection with the origination of a $75MM loan used for purposes of renovating its corporate headquarters.
- Represented national lender in connection with the origination and closing of a $34MM loan secured by a mortgage on commercial office space located in the State of Missouri.
- Represented national lender in connection with the origination and closing of a $20MM loan secured by a mortgage on commercial office space located in the State of North Carolina.
- Represented corporate borrower in connection with the origination of a $12MM loan used for purposes of renovating its corporate headquarters.
Capital Markets Transactions
- Represent private equity funds in the acquisition and sale of commercial loan portfolios secured by commercial real estate in locations across the United States.
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of a $35MM loan portfolio comprised of commercial mezzanine loans.
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of a $28MM loan portfolio comprised of commercial real estate mortgage loans.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of $30MM loan portfolio to multiple buyers.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of $84MM loan portfolio to multiple buyers.
- Represent owner of Class A office tower in connection with all leasing matters.
- Represented nonprofit corporation in connection with negotiation of a lease of Class A office space for their corporate headquarters.
- Represented manufacturing client in connection with lease of warehouse office space.
- Represented landlord in connection with preparation of form office lease and related leasing transactions.
- Represented national franchising client in connection with the multiple lease transactions.
Real Estate Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Represented owner in connection with the sale of industrial warehouse property.
- Represented buyer in connection with the acquisition of multiple commercial real estate properties.
- Represented national manufacturing client in connection with the acquisition and development of vacant land in connection with the construction of manufacturing facilities in multiple jurisdictions across the United States.
- Represented buyer in connection with the acquisition of commercial restaurant property.
- Represented healthcare client in connection with the acquisition and development of vacant land for future retail locations.
- Represented religious organization in connection with the negotiation of a $15MM construction contract.
- Represented national manufacturer in connection with the negotiation of multiple construction contracts each in excess of $20MM related to future manufacturing sites.
- Represented nonprofit organization in connection with the negotiation of a construction contract related to their future office expansion.
- Represented client in connection with the negotiation of a construction contract related to their tenant improvements for their new corporate headquarters.
Articles & Presentations
March 30, 2016
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2010, summa cum laude
- University of St. Thomas, B.A., 2006
- Minnesota, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2011
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Real Estate, 2016-2018
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2011-2016
- Staff Member, William Mitchell Journal of Law and Practice, 2009
- CALI Awards for highest grade in Business Corporations and Business Buy/Sell Simulated Transactions, 2009
- Member, NAIOP
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Housing Court Volunteer Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Volunteer Business Pro-Bono Attorney, LegalCORPS