Effective August 1, 2019, a new law requires vendors to check the exclusion list “on a monthly basis and document the date and time the exclusion list was checked and the name and title of person who checked the exclusion list.”
Pari assists health care industry clients in disputes in state, federal and administrative courts and provides regulatory advice involving state and federal fraud and abuse issues, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment and reimbursement, and state licensure issues.
Pari’s health care clients encompass a wide variety of players in the health care field including hospitals, clinics, device manufacturers, and disability services and long-term care providers. Pari provides advice on a full range of regulatory and compliance issues. Pari also defends against internal and external allegations of noncompliance and provides practical, effective, and industry-appropriate solutions throughout the dispute resolution process, including in state, federal and administrative courts, and in alternative dispute resolution settings.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Pari clerked for the Honorable James B. Loken on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. Before law school, Pari worked in a research laboratory at the Minneapolis V.A. Medical Center.
- Advised disability services and long-term care providers on licensure and reimbursement issues.
- Advised hospitals and clinics on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement requirements and overpayment liability.
- Advised multiple clients on state law licensure, scope of practice and reimbursement issues.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict for a disability services provider facing state law employment retaliation claims.
- Member of a team that obtained a seven-figure jury verdict in favor of an ambulatory surgery center in a case involving multiple business torts and contract claims.
- Member of the team successfully defending a grant of summary judgment on a Title VII claim in favor of hospital-employer on appeal in the Eighth Circuit.
- Member of the team handling a multi-billion dollar bid protest involving Medicaid managed care services.
- Represented disability services and long-term care providers in licensing and survey matters and in administrative audit and recoupment actions.
- In partnership with the ACLU, successfully represented a civil rights protester in an appeal of a criminal conviction related to his protest activity.
- Together with another Fredrikson attorney, successfully represented a teenage boy in an administrative appeal of maltreatment determination.
- Prepared wills, powers of attorney and health care directives in a walk-in legal clinic hosted by the Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans and the Minneapolis V.A. Medical Center.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Presenter, “Understanding and Protecting Legal Privileges,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, February 10, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “The Annual Regulatory Update,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 9, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “Opioid Crisis Response: Key Legal Developments Every Health Lawyer and Compliance Officer Should Know,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, February 19, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “Regulatory Update,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 11, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Health Law Grab Bag: FAQs for Hospitals and Clinics,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, October 16, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Making Sense of the Medicare Manuals,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, August 14, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “2019 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule, OPPS and IPPS Final Rules and Other News, Rules and More,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 12, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Health Law FAQs Answered,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, August 8, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “2018 Medicare Regulatory Update,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 13, 2017
- Presenter, “New Rules: MIPS, Physician Fee Schedule, Outpatient Rule and More!,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 14, 2016
- Presenter, “Key Topics from the 2016 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule, Hospital Outpatient Rule and the Budget Act,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, December 9, 2015
- “Implied Certification Under the False Claims Act: Crafting Appropriate Limits,” MSBA Health Law Section, 2013
- “Up or Out: Why ‘Sufficiently Reliable’ Statistical Risk Assessment is Appropriate at Sentencing and Inappropriate at Parole,” Minnesota Law Review, 2013
- “Deidentification and Reidentification in Returning Individual Findings from Biobank and Secondary Research: Regulatory Challenges and Models for Management,” co-authored with W. McGeveran and L. Fatehi, Minnesota Journal of Law, Science and Technology, 2012
- “Analgesic Effects of Intra-articular Botulinum Toxin Type B in Murine Model of Chronic Degenerative Knee Arthritis,” co-authored with H. Krug, S. Frizelle and M. Mahowald, Journal of Pain Research, 2010
- “Pain Behavior Measures to Quantitate Joint Pain and Response to Neurotoxin Treatment in Murine Models of Arthritis,” co-authored with H. Krug, S. Frizelle and M. Mahowald, Pain Medicine, 2009
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2013, summa cum laude
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health, MPH, 2013
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 2007, with distinction
- Minnesota, 2013
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Health Care, 2019, 2021
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2017-2018, 2020
- Lockhart Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Leadership and Service, 2013
- ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in Health Law, 2013
- Order of the Coif
- MSBA Health Law Section Student Writing Contest First Prize Winner, 2013
- Delta Omega Honorary Society for Public Health, 2013
- Leonard, Street & Dienard Law Review Award, 2012
- Minnesota Law Review, Managing Editor, 2012-2013; staff member 2011-2012
- First Year Legal Research and Writing Honors, Best Brief, 2010
- Vice President, Minnesota State Bar Association, Administrative Law Council, 2020 to present
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association, Administrative Law Council, 2018 to present
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association, 2014 to present
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter, 2014 to present
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2013 to present
- Judicial Law Clerk, Honorable James B. Loken, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2013-2014
- Research Assistant, State Health Access Data Assistance Center, 2011-2013
- Legal Intern, Mayo Clinic, 2011-2012
- Clerk, Minnesota Disability Law Center, 2010-2011