Pat is an experienced litigator and advisor to energy companies operating in Minnesota and the upper Midwest. He is the Chair of Fredrikson & Byron’s Condemnation & Eminent Domain Group, and is also a member of the Transmission, Energy and Litigation Groups. In his condemnation practice, Pat represents condemning authorities and private owners in acquisition negotiations, eminent domain actions, land rights disputes, and land use matters. He has particular expertise representing public utilities and electric cooperatives in acquiring right-of-way corridors for electric transmission lines and pipelines in urban and rural areas. In this practice, he has represented condemning authorities in the successful and timely acquisition of hundreds of miles worth of land rights, handling scores of valuation disputes to conclusion, including through jury trials.
Pat also represents pipeline companies that deliver energy to Minnesota, the upper Midwest, and beyond in regulatory proceedings, right-of-way acquisition, and land use matters.
- Patrick represents utilities in land rights matters, including in acquisition and permitting matters. Patrick has appeared in connection with this work before regulatory bodies, in court, and before court-appointed Commissioners in valuation hearings.
- Pat was a leader on Fredrikson & Byron’s team serving as Land Rights Counsel for the CapX2020 Transmission Projects. In that role, he assisted the CapX2020 participants in obtaining the land rights necessary to deliver the upper Midwest’s largest transmission system upgrade in decades.
- Patrick represents individuals and companies in various litigation matters. Patrick has successfully defended several actions to conclusion, including claims for breach of contract and business torts.
- Holdahl, et al. v. BioErgonomics, Inc., et al., 2013 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 105 (Minn. Ct. App. Feb. 4, 2013) (affirming summary judgment for board members and corporation dismissing class action brought by shareholders asserting claims of, among others, fraudulent transfer and breach of fiduciary duties)
- Talus Group, Inc. v. Ostrander et al., 2011 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 874 (Minn. Ct. App. Sept. 12, 2011) (reversing trial court’s decision and reinstating contract and tort claims brought by IT firm against two former employees and their new employer)
- PEMS Co. Int’l, Inc. v. Temp-Air, Inc., et al., 2011 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 32 (Minn. Ct. App. Jan. 11, 2011) (affirming summary judgment against alleged finder seeking fee in connection with business acquisition)
- Diversified Water Division, Inc. v. Standard Water Control Systems, Inc., 2008 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1087 (Minn. Ct. App. Sept. 23, 2008) (affirming award of punitive damages against competing business)
Articles & Presentations
- “How to Set Yourself Up For Success On Valuation Issues,” MNDOT Annual Right-of-Way Conference, Brainerd, MN 2018
- “Minnesota Buy-the-Farm Law: Eligibility, Benefits, and Implications,” Hennepin County Bar Association Eminent Domain Section, Minneapolis, 2018
- “Arbitration and Mediation in Eminent Domain,” Hennepin County Bar Association Eminent Domain Section, Minneapolis, 2016
- “Minnesota Buy-the-Farm Law: Eligibility, Benefits, and Implications,” International Right-of-Way Association Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, 2016
- “Buy-the-Farm,” MNDOT Annual Right-of-Way Conference, Brainerd, MN 2015
- “The Use and Impact of Ancillary Easements,” MNDOT Annual Right-of-Way Conference, Brainerd, MN 2014
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota, J.D., magna cum laude
- St. John’s University, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- North Dakota
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Eminent Domain, 2017-2018
- Minnesota Lawyer, Attorney of the Year, 2015
- Order of the Coif, Member
- University of Minnesota Law School Civil Practice Clinic, Director
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Eminent Domain Section, Secretary
- Member, Planning Commission, Wright County