Fredrikson & Byron’s Des Moines-based attorneys Philip S. Bubb, Bret A. Dublinske, Bridget R. Penick, Emily S. Pontius, Brandon R. Underwood and J. Marc Ward hold various roles within the Iowa State Bar Association.
Phil is an experienced litigator and construction lawyer serving owners, developers and contractors by drafting construction contracts, controlling risk, and resolving construction disputes in mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Phil represents owners, developers, and contractors on public and private construction projects involving claims of strict liability, warranty, defect, delay and negligence. He has served as lead counsel in mediation, arbitration and litigation in both state and federal courts.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Phil spent ten years as a commercial litigator in Atlanta, Georgia, and later served as general counsel for a start-up distillery outside Des Moines.
- Defended home builders and construction-products manufacturers against claims alleging negligent construction, negligent design and products liability.
- Composed and negotiated contracts for public and private construction projects between owners, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Represented prime contractor against city and state efforts to enforce liquidated-damages provision to withhold payment following construction delays.
- Served as trial counsel for a private developer in mediation and litigation against municipal, state and federal agencies involving eminent domain and access rights to real property.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar verdict in favor of a private company and against a municipal government for breach of a contract to privatize utility services.
- Routinely counsels contractors on procedures for filing mechanics’ liens on private projects and bond claims on public projects.
- Won a multi-million-dollar jury verdict against a telecommunications carrier for breach of its services contract.
- Prosecuted claims against a roofing contractor for negligence resulting in a catastrophic fire.
Articles & Presentations
August 28, 2017
Fredrikson & Byron has elected nine new shareholders: Philip S. Bubb, Kristen S. Hansen, Brant M. Leonard, Amanda K. Lorentz, Sarah M. Olson, Emily S. Pontius, Brett F. Roberts, Debra A. Schneider and David E. Winkler.
July 24, 2017
June 2, 2016
Philip S. Bubb, an officer at Fredrikson & Byron, graduated from the West Des Moines Leadership Academy (WDMLA). According to its website, WDMLA is an intensive, regionally-oriented leadership development program designed to give potential and emerging leaders the skills, knowledge and ongoing support they need to succeed in the West Des Moines community. The program is designed for outstanding individuals who wish to sharpen their leadership skills and gain a greater understanding of the region’s economy and community networks.
August 25, 2015
Six Fredrikson & Byron attorneys were named 2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers, and three Fredrikson attorneys were named 2015 Great Plains Rising Stars.
July 9, 2015
Attorney Philip S. Bubb was elected to the governing body of the Historic East Village, Inc. in Des Moines, Iowa on June 15, 2015. The Board is a combination of a neighborhood association and a chamber of commerce for the East Village neighborhood.
June 23, 2015
The Iowa State Bar has appointed shareholder Bridget R. Penick to serve on the Labor & Employment Law Section Council, shareholder Steven J. Dickinson to serve on the International Law Section Council and officer Philip S. Bubb to serve on the Construction Law Section Council. They will serve during the 2015-2016 fiscal year.
May 19, 2014
Philip S. Bubb, a litigator with experience in construction, real estate, business torts, insurance liability, negligence and contracts, joined Fredrikson & Byron, P.A. as an officer on Monday, May 12, 2014.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Troubleshooting Construction Project Legal Issues,” National Business Institute, December 2017
- “The Basics and Fundamentals of Construction Law,” Iowa State Bar Association, April 2017
- “Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” National Business Institute, February 2017
- “Construction Law for Public Projects,” Foxmoor Continuing Education, September 2015
- “Navigating a Home Warranty,” Acquire Magazine, August 2014
- “Protecting Yourself in a Construction Project Gone Wrong,” Acquire Magazine, May 2014
- “Defending Wrongful Foreclosure Claims,” Institute on Continuing Legal Education
- “IP in the Digital Age,” Technology Association of Georgia
- “Third-Party Practice in Georgia,” Institute on Continuing Legal Education
Honors & Education
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2003, cum laude
- Luther College, B.A., 2000, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2015
- Iowa, 2013
- Georgia, 2003
- Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Construction, 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2016
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Construction Litigation, 2015-2018
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010-2013
- Recognized by the Pro Bono Project of the State Bar of Georgia, 2006-2012
- Recipient of the E. Randolph Williams Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, 2003-2005
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association, Construction Law Section, Section Council, 2015-2019
- Iowa State Bar Association, Construction Law Section Council Chair, 2017-2018
- Associated General Contractors of Iowa