Phil is an experienced commercial litigator serving clients in diverse industries, including construction and real estate. He regularly handles disputes involving contracts, business torts, insurance liability, and negligence.
Phil represents general contractors and subcontractors in mediation, arbitration and litigation, and represents construction-products manufacturers against claims of strict liability, warranty, and negligence. He has served as lead and second-chair counsel in both state and federal courts and has obtained verdicts for clients following bench trials and jury trials.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Phil spent ten years as a commercial litigator in Atlanta, Georgia, and later served as general counsel for a start-up distillery outside Des Moines.
- Defended home builders and construction-products manufacturers against claims alleging negligent construction, negligent design and products liability involving water infiltration.
- Served as trial counsel for a private developer in mediation and litigation against municipal, state and federal agencies involving eminent domain and access rights to real property.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar judgment against a municipality for breach of contract.
- Successfully represented a private land developer in mediation against state and federal agencies in a dispute involving eminent domain and the government’s designation of certain private realty as brownfields.
- Won a multi-million-dollar jury verdict against a telecommunications carrier for breach of its services contract.
- Represented title insurers, insured lenders, and insured property owners in lawsuits related to priority of title, boundary disputes, access rights, business torts, and personal-injury claims.
- Prosecuted claims against a roofing contractor for negligence resulting in a catastrophic fire.
- Navigated all aspects of governmental compliance for a start-up distillery and established policy for corporate structure, taxation, processes, and procedures.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “The Basics and Fundamentals of Construction Law,” Iowa State Bar Association, April 2017
- “Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” National Business Institute, February 2017
- “Construction Law for Public Projects,” Foxmoor Continuing Education, September 2015
- “Navigating a Home Warranty,” Acquire Magazine, August 2014
- “Protecting Yourself in a Construction Project Gone Wrong,” Acquire Magazine, May 2014
- “Defending Wrongful Foreclosure Claims,” Institute on Continuing Legal Education
- “IP in the Digital Age,” Technology Association of Georgia
- “Third-Party Practice in Georgia,” Institute on Continuing Legal Education
Honors & Education
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2003, cum laude
- Luther College, B.A., 2000, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2015
- Iowa, 2013
- Georgia, 2003
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2016
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Construction Litigation, 2015-2017
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010-2013
- Recognized by the Pro Bono Project of the State Bar of Georgia, 2006-2012
- Recipient of the E. Randolph Williams Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, 2003-2005
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association, Construction Law Section Council Chair, 2017-2018
- Iowa State Bar Association, Section Council, Construction Law Section, 2015-2016
- Associated General Contractors of Iowa
- Home Builders Association of Greater Des Moines
- Home Builders Association of Iowa
- National Association of Home Builders