Rachna is a recognized and sought after business litigator.
Rachna has handled litigation around the country for two decades, practicing largely in federal court. Her clients--which include large companies, closely-held businesses and individuals--value her aggressive and strategic defense of cases. As a former prosecutor in Brooklyn, New York and law clerk to the Honorable James M. Rosenbaum--former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota--Rachna provides clients with keen and practical insights into the litigation process. In addition, her degree in Finance allows her to better understand financial reports and transactions and to aggressively investigate cases.
A highly regarded and recognized member of the Bar, Rachna has been selected by her peers as a Minnesota Super Lawyer and a Rising Star. She is also a past president of the Minnesota Chapter, Federal Bar Association, a former co-chair of the Magistrate Selection Committee for the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, and a recipient of the Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award from the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
In her free time, Rachna enjoys cooking and exploring the north woods with her husband and two daughters. She also enjoys visiting family in India, the country she emigrated from when she was 17 years old.
- Chaired multiple cases and managed litigation teams, involving complex contract disputes, class actions, partnership and shareholder disputes and general commercial disputes.
- Represented numerous clients before arbitrators and judges in state and federal courts.
- Led numerous successful negotiations and resolution efforts.
- Represented product retailers, internet-based businesses, wind-energy and utility companies, and many other businesses.
- Advised business owners, directors, officers, partnerships and general counsels on litigation strategy and defense.
- Served as Special Counsel for the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota in connection with various matters.
- On a pro bono basis, represented several clients with limited means or disabilities, including a foster mom in a contested adoption trial and a disabled person seeking housing accommodations.
Leadership and Community Activities
- Infinity Project, Director (2016 to present)
The Infinity Project’s mission is to increase the gender diversity of the state and federal bench to ensure quality of justice.
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, Director and Governance Committee Member (2015 to present)
Directors have high level oversight responsibility for Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid’s services, strategic direction and finances, and the Governance Committee has oversight of board governance including nominations and bylaws.
- Leadership Summit on Gender Equity In the Law, Co-Chair and Co-Founder (2015 to 2016)
Annual event to bring leaders from law firms, business and non-profits to address and develop strategies for addressing the gender imbalance in leadership positions within law firms, business and non-profits.
- Celebration of Minnesota Women in the Law, Committee Member (2015 and 2014)
In collaboration with the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and the Minnesota Chapter Federal Bar Association, a series of events were held honoring Minnesota women lawyers and judges. In 2014, a dinner was held honoring the Honorable Diana Murphy as the first woman appointed to the federal bench in Minnesota and on the Eighth Circuit, with a keynote address by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. In 2015, there was a traveling exhibit honoring notable Minnesota women lawyers and judges.
- Federal Magistrate Selection Committee for the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, Co-Chair (2014)
Together with attorney Lewis Remele, co-chaired a committee to select candidates to succeed the Honorable Arthur Boylan as the United States Magistrate Judge.
- Open Doors to Federal Courts, Dred and Harriet Scott Program, Committee Member (2014)
A community outreach project by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota chaired by the Honorable Donovan Frank to encourage young people from rural and inner city areas to pursue careers in the justice system.
- Minnesota Chapter Federal Bar Association, Director and Past President (2012 to 2013)
The Minnesota Chapter is comprised of more than 900 members. The President is in charge of all aspects of strategic direction, finance, and activities.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Past Chair of Alumni Relations and Board of Advisors (2011 to 2013)
Directors have high level oversight responsibility and strategic direction of the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Lawyers without Rights: Jewish lawyers in Germany under the Third Reich, Committee Member (2013)
This Exhibit was co-sponsored by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. It focused on the fragility of the rule of law in the grip of power and evil under the Third Reich.
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, 1996, J.D. cum laude
- Pace University, New York City, B.B.A., 1989, cum laude
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1999
- Minnesota, 1996
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2011, 2014 to 2017; Rising Star, 2006 to 2008
- Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award, Federal Pro Se Project, United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2011