Ryan T. Murphy
Assistant: Sherrie Timm, 612.492.7802
“I take ownership of my client’s issues and dedicate myself to resolving them so my client is pleased with the process and values the result.”
Ryan is recognized as one of the outstanding restructuring lawyers in the upper Midwest and has led many complex restructurings on behalf of companies and individuals to success.
Ryan is a skilled negotiator and regularly resolves issues out of court. He is also a seasoned litigator and represents parties in bankruptcy, receiverships and commercial litigation across the country. He has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in and out of court as well as buyers and sellers of assets in distressed situations. He has handled matters for clients in industries as varied as manufacturing, retail, hotel, real estate, banking, entertainment, transportation and energy. He has extensive experience advising owners and boards of directors, and representing debtors and creditors in workout, insolvency, restructuring and bankruptcy planning matters. Ryan also has extensive experience representing companies and creditors in state and federal court litigation, including bankruptcies, receiverships, assignments for benefit of creditors, foreclosures, fraudulent transfer and preference claims.
Ryan has been recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America and a Super Lawyer by Minnesota Super Lawyers. The Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter, also awarded Ryan the Turnaround of the Year for 2017 and Transaction of the Year for 2011. Ryan was recently the Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, and President of the TMA, Minnesota Chapter. Ryan is also a member of Fredrikson & Byron’s Finance Committee.
First United Funding, LLC
- Represent receiver in recovering assets from Ponzi scheme.
- Distributed over $80 million to victims.
Student Publishing Company
- Represented leading-edge student publisher committed to motivate students to learn through publishing.
- Successfully restructured debt and equity.
Family Entertainment Center
- Successful restructuring of secured debts. Owners remained in control and have operated center profitably.
Hotel/Indoor Water Park
- Successful restructuring of secured debts, including reduction in principal. Owners remained in control and continued to operate hotel and indoor water park.
Rotonics Manufacturing, Inc.
- Manufacturer and marketer of plastic products
- Revenues of approximately $50 million
- Successful out-of-court sales of manufacturing facilities with approval of constituents through assignment for the benefit of creditors.
PVC Compounders, Inc.
- Manufacturer of flexible and rigid polyvinyl chloride components
- Revenues of approximately $50 million
- Successful out of court sales of manufacturing facilities with approval of constituents
- High end specialty firearms manufacturer
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor in extensive negotiations with creditors and litigation leading to successful sale of assets of specialty gun manufacturer
- Manufacturer of aperture masks and lenses used in eyeglasses
- Revenues of approximately $62 million / $155 million in assets
- Represented debtor in obtaining bankruptcy court approval of $50 million sale of eyeglass lenses division and confirmation of plan.
- Retailer of new and used golf equipment
- Revenues of approximately $63 million / $9 million in assets
- Successful sale of retail chain stores on expedited basis.
Minnesota Print Services, Inc.
- (Fictitious) print broker business
- Creditors with outstanding claims of $50 million
- Recovered assets, instituted distribution plan, and made distributions to unsecured creditors of over 25%.
- Awarded Transaction of Year by Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter, in 2011.
International Financial Institution
- Financial institution that provided wholesale credit facility to retail lender in construction industry
- Representation: Secured creditor
- Transaction size: $400 million+ credit facility
- Had receiver appointed to liquidate collateral and recover fraudulent transfers
Precision Manufacturer for Defense Industry
- Successful out-of-court sale of assets with approval of constituents
- Regularly represents real estate developers, builders, property managers and owners facing loan defaults and foreclosure.
Preference and Fraudulent Transfer Claims
- Regularly represents parties sued to recover preference and fraudulent transfers across the country.
Turnaround Professionals/Investment Bankers
- Frequently represents receivers, assignees for benefit of creditors, investment bankers and turnaround professionals
- Transaction size: Ranging from $1 million in assets to over $100 million in assets
Articles & Presentations
October 3, 2017
The new receivership and assignment for benefit of creditors statutes took effect in 2012.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Author, “Mission vs. Creditor Interests: Nonprofit Directors’ Fiduciary Duties,” Journal of Corporate Renewal, Turnaround Management Association, November 2017
- Presenter, "Real Survival Tips for the Mounting Retail Woes," Bankruptcy Institute, October 2017
- Presenter, "Focusing on the Profit in Nonprofit," Minnesota State Bar Association, May 2017
- Presenter, “Boxing-up the Big Box Retailer,” Turnaround Management Association, February 2017
- Presenter, “Defending Claims Brought Back from the Dead,” Hennepin County Bar Association, February 2017
- Presenter, “Structured Dismissals in Chapter 11,” Minnesota State Bankruptcy Association Bankruptcy Section, November 2015
- Presenter, “Big Ideas for Small Businesses,” Bankruptcy Institute, October 2015
- Author and Presenter, “Exemptions,” Minnesota State Bar Association Debtors’ and Creditors’ Handbook, January 2015
- Author, “Recent Developments in Minnesota Receiverships,” Hennepin Lawyer, July 2014
- Presenter, Practice under New Receivership & ABC Statutes,” MSBA Bankruptcy Section, April 2014
- Presenter, “Turning Lemons Into Lemonade: Unlocking Value in Distressed Situations,” Hennepin County Bar Association, October 2013
- Presenter, Bankruptcy Seminar: Rising to the Special Challenges of Small Business Restructurings and Bankruptcies, September 2013
- Presenter, “Lien Stripping in Bankruptcies & Receiverships,” Hennepin County Bar Association, April 2013
- Co-Author, “Minnesota Constructs Comprehensive Receivership Law,” Journal of Corporate Renewal, March 2013
- Presenter, “A Practical Guide to Preference Claims and More Importantly How to Avoid Them,” Hennepin County Bar Association, February 2013
- Presenter, “New Receivership and ABC Statutes: Old Ways in the New Age,” 2012 Bankruptcy Institute, October 2, 2012
- Presenter, “Chapter 11 in Minnesota,” co-author and speaker, MNCLE Bankruptcy Practice in Minnesota, June 2012
- Presenter, “Ponzi Scheme Postmortem,” Transaction of Year Award, Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter, January 2012
Recent Media Mentions
- “Minnesota Chapter 11 Lawyers Taking A ‘Wait And See’ Approach On New Bankruptcy Guidelines ,” The Minnesota Lawyer, August 2013
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Saint John’s University, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- Federal Court for the District of Minnesota
- Federal and state courts across the country by permission, including Delaware, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, Utah and California.
- Best Lawyers’ Litigation - Bankruptcy “Lawyer of the Year” in Minneapolis, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2015-present
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer - Bankruptcy: Business, 2014-present
- Turnaround Management Association - Minnesota Chapter, Turnaround of the Year, 2017
- Turnaround Management Association - Minnesota Chapter, Transaction of the Year, 2011
- Turnaround Management Association - Minnesota Chapter, Contributing Attorney on Team Awarded Transaction of the Year, 2006 and 2010
- Editor, Journal of Corporate Renewal, Turnaround Management Association
- Past President and Director, Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Chair, Volunteer Services, Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Educational Committee Member, Turnaround Management Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Past Chair, Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- Past Chair, Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section Pro Bono Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- Past Co-Chair, Hennepin County Bar Association Debtor/Creditor Section
- Receivership and Assignment for Benefit of Creditors Statutes Drafting Committee Member
- Former Editor, Bankruptcy Bulletin
- Judicial Clerkship, Honorable Donald P. Lay, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Frequent volunteer at church, school and youth athletics in community