Sarah provides businesses and individuals with a variety of bankruptcy-related services, including representing debtors and creditors in Chapter 11 cases, assisting with asset sales, filing proofs of claim, and litigating preference and fraudulent transfer claims.
In the Chapter 11 context, Sarah has represented a wide range of debtors, such as large corporations, groups of related entities, franchisees, small businesses, and individuals. Aside from debtors, Sarah has represented creditors (both secured and unsecured), contract or lease counterparties, and potential asset purchasers in bankruptcy cases. Sarah also has experience serving as local counsel for debtors, creditors, and creditors’ committees. In addition to providing services in the bankruptcy context, Sarah assists clients with many other debtor/creditor matters ranging from garnishment issues, to commencing or participating in receiverships, to analyzing alternatives in situations of financial distress.
- Represented printed circuit board manufacturer in a Chapter 11 case involving section 363 sales of two operating divisions to separate buyers, as well as a confirmed plan of liquidation.
- On team that guided data services company through a section 363 sale of its business and subsequent confirmed Chapter 11 plan of liquidation.
- Represented low-income housing project as small business debtor in Chapter 11 case.
- Assisted in representing Chapter 11 debtor building materials and services supplier with total debt in excess of $100 million; achieved sale of assets and confirmation of liquidating plan.
- On team that represented individual in Chapter 11 case discharging over $280 million in personal guaranty liability.
- Served as local counsel for 77-location fast-food franchisee debtors in Chapter 11 cases involving multiple 363 sales and confirmed plan of liquidation.
- Represented owners of large farming operation in Chapter 11 case with creditor claims of approximately $15 million and in which plan of reorganization was confirmed.
- Assisted in representation of receivers and assignees for the benefit of creditors.
- Served as local counsel for Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Chapter 11 cases of restaurant franchisee with 13 locations and over $25 million in liabilities.
- Represented defendants against preference and fraudulent transfer claims.
Articles & Presentations
January 10, 2018
State statutes and corporate organizational documents can impose substantial obligations on companies to indemnify their officers and directors in certain situations.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Panelist, “Effects of the Jevic Supreme Court Decision in Bankruptcy…and Beyond!,” Turnaround Management Association Presentation, October 12, 2017
- Panelist, “Officers and Directors: What They Need to Know if Their Companies Slide Toward Insolvency,” April 19, 2016
- Presenter, “Individual Chapter 11: A How-To,” MSBA Bankruptcy Section CLE, March 15, 2016
- Presenter, “Made to Order Solutions for a Custom Manufacturer: Leveraging HEI, Inc.’s Customer Relationships and Assets to Maximize Value,” Turnaround Management Association – Minnesota Chapter, 2015 Transaction of the Year Presentation, November 19, 2015
- Presenter, “Hot Topics in Business Bankruptcy Roundtable,” 2015 Bankruptcy Institute Conference, October 8, 2015
- Presenter, MCLE’s Bankruptcy/Debtor-Creditor Series: Debtor-Creditor Handbook – Exemptions, January 15, 2015
- Co-Author, “Minnesota Constructs Comprehensive Receivership Law,” Journal of Corporate Renewal, March 2013
- Co-author, “Chapter 11 in Minnesota” chapter in Bankruptcy Practice in Minnesota, a Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Deskbook, June 2012
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude
- University of Kansas, B.A., 2006, honors with highest distinction
- Minnesota, 2009
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Minnesota, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2012
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Bankruptcy: Business, 2017
- Turnaround Management Association - Minnesota Chapter, Turnaround of the Year Award, 2017
- Turnaround Management Association – Minnesota Chapter, Transaction of the Year, 2015-2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012, 2014-2016
- Order of the Coif
- Minnesota Law Review, Article Editor, 2008–2009; staff member, 2007–2008
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- Member, Board of Directors of the Minnesota Network of the International Womens’ Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Drafting Committee for Minnesota Statutes on Receiverships and Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors
- Editor, Minnesota State Bar Association Bankruptcy Bulletin
- Board Member, Loft Literary Center
- Board Member and Governance Committee Chair, Baby’s Space