Soobin advises strategic investors and private equity clients on cross-border corporate and M&A transactions.
Soobin is a corporate attorney with extensive experience assisting clients with multi-jurisdictional acquisitions and investments, particularly in the Asia Pacific region. As part of his practice, Soobin advises venture capital firms and start-ups in connection with investment financing, as well as private equity firms throughout the investment cycle. He also has a wealth of experience in the area of international master franchising, having assisted clients in acquiring and divesting major fast food franchises across Asia.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Soobin was a senior foreign attorney at one of the largest law firms in Korea, where he worked closely with many of the major Korean conglomerates, including Samsung, Hyundai, Doosan and CJ, in addition to advising some of the largest Asia-based private equity firms.
- Advised the investment division of a Minnesota-based investment advisory firm on the $86 million acquisition of a Florida-based developer of shower product solutions.
- Advised a major Boston-based private equity fund in connection with their platform sales of a Canadian-based life science company, an Illinois-based leading HVAC provider, and a major tattoo and pet products supplier.
- Advised a Minnesota-based IT/software company on several acquisitions of software companies based in California, Texas, and South Carolina (deal value ranging from $40 million to $650 million).
- Advised a Canadian private equity client on its add-on acquisitions in the pool services business in Florida, Texas and Arizona.
- Advised a Korean semiconductor equipment manufacturer on the separation of the silicones and quartz businesses of a NYSE-listed advanced materials producer amongst consortium members.
- Acted as Korean counsel to Fortune 500 automotive electronics manufacturer on the $3.6 billion sale of its stake in its Korean subsidiary.
Korea and Asia-Pacific
- Advised a major Korean conglomerate group on the sale of a $1.6 billion minority stake in its petroleum and refinery company to a Saudi Arabian state company.
- Advised a Singapore-based private equity firm on its $540 million investment in the MRO unit of a major Korean conglomerate group.
- Advised a Singapore-based PE firm and a California-based VC firm on their $890 million investment in the online business of one of the largest retail and e-commerce companies in Korea.
- Advised a Singapore-based PE firm on its acquisition of master franchise rights for a global hamburger brand in Japan and remaining legacy restaurants operated by previous master franchisee.
- Advised a Qingdao-based Chinese tire manufacturer on its $600 million acquisition of one of the largest Korean tire companies.
- Advised a Korean gaming company, its executives and institutional investors on the sale of a $500 million minority stake to a major Chinese entertainment and gaming company.
- Advised Korea’s largest food company on its acquisition of a Brazilian protein manufacturer.
- Advised a Korean PE firm on the acquisition of a major franchise pizza business in Korea from the master franchisor, including the negotiation of the master franchise agreement with the master franchisor.
- Advised a Singapore-based PE firm in its $1.6 billion sale of a controlling stake in an entertainment and music company for cash consideration and shares of the buyer, a global mobile platform company.
- Advised a Korean PE firm in connection with its $170 million sale of a major hamburger franchise in Korea and renewal of the master franchise agreement with the master franchisor.
- Advised a UK hypermarket operator on the $6 billion sale of its Korean hypermarket business.
- Advised a Taiwanese insurance company on its $200 million investment in the life insurance subsidiary of a major Korean conglomerate group.
- Represented a Taiwanese securities company in its $110 million acquisition of a Korean securities firm.
Honors & Education
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Cornell University, B.A., 2004
- Minnesota, 2020
- New York, 2009
- Member, Korean American Bar Association of Minnesota
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow, 2022