Tara is an effective advocate for complex policy issues and has extensive experience in legislation and public policy.
She has comprehensive knowledge of public policy and a proven ability to effectively advocate for complex policy issues. Her work as a legislative staffer and as a legislator in the Minnesota House for eight years equips her with valuable, hands-on understanding of policy making and of the state’s decision makers.
Tara brings depth of expertise in the areas of health and human services, early childhood education, tax policy and health care reform. She has served on key committees including the Health and Human Services Finance Committee; Health and Human Services Reform Committee (Chair); Taxes Committee; Labor and Consumer Protection Sub-committee; on the finance sub-committees for Early Childhood Education and the Higher Education and Workforce Development; the Rules and Legislative Administration Committee, and the Outdoor Heritage Committee. Tara also served on the Autism Taskforce, the Healthcare Workforce Taskforce (Co-chair) and the MNsure Legislative Oversight Committee.
In addition to her public policy work, Tara focuses on humanitarian efforts. She has worked with a non-profit organization located in Iowa that supports and equips at-risk youth in the foster system, and she has led over a dozen trips to 13 different countries for humanitarian and mission work.
Tara is not licensed to practice law. Her practice is limited to government relations consulting, which includes state and local lobbying.
- Omnibus Health and Human Services Policy Bill - Chief author, 2015
- MNsure Reform legislation - Chief author of a bill making several changes to MNSure in order to increase transparency, allow more flexibility and improve the client’s experience when purchasing health insurance, 2015
- Interstate medical licensure - Chief author of a bill providing increased access to quality health care by allowing Minnesota physicians to be licensed in more than one state, 2015
- Return on tax payer investment - Chief author of a bill implementing a cost-benefit approach to measure success of corrections and human services programs, 2015
- Chief author of a bill to increase rates for medical assistance reimbursement to critical access mental health services, 2015
- Chief author of a bill reforming health care delivery, requiring health carriers and medical assistance to provide coverage for telemedicine, 2015
- Chief author of a bill adjusting the budget methodology for consumer-directed support services in order to empower and provide flexibility to individuals with disabilities, 2015
- Chief author of a bill addressing maternal depression by establishing a public education and prevalence reduction plan, 2012
- Chief author of a bill reforming long-term care consultations, ensuring the chosen provider of customized living services is a part of the decision making process for a care plan, 2011
- Chief author of a bill requiring an RFP for an online integrated eligibility system and application portal for human service programs, 2011
- Chief author of a bill streamlining county human service programming and eligibility in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness, 2011
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “Rising Stars Under 40,” Conservative Political Action Conference, March 7, 2014
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 2006
- Aspen Institute Rodel Fellow, 2014
- Taxes Committee
- Labor and Consumer Protection Sub-Committee
- Outdoor Heritage Committee
- Early Childhood Education Committee
- Health and Human Services Finance Committee
- Chair, Health and Human Services Reform Committee
- Autism Taskforce
- Co-Chair, Healthcare Workforce Taskforce
- Rules and Legislative Administration Committee
- MNsure Legislative Oversight Committee
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce, 2009-2016
- Community Board Member, YMCA, 2009-2014
- Apple Valley Rotary, 2009-2014
- Burnsville Chamber of Commerce, 2009-2013