Thomas R. Wilhelmy
Assistant: Chris Score, 612.492.7632
“If I had been born 200 years earlier, I would have been throwing tea into the Boston harbor. My clients are willing to pay their fair share of property taxes, but no more.”
Tom has practiced Property Tax and Real Estate Law since 1978 and has been an MSBA Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law since the inception of that designation.
Tom is highly acclaimed for his expertise in real property valuation and property tax appeals, including retail, office, industrial, apartment and redevelopment properties. He is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, and is a MSBA certified specialist in real property law who practices property tax law. Named to The Best Lawyers in America© 2015, 2016 and again in 2017, Tom has received numerous honors, awards and accolades: America’s Most Honored Professional by American Registry for 2016; “Minnesota Top Rated Lawyer” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell.; “Super Lawyer” by Minnesota Super Lawyers Magazine; “Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year” for the USA in 2013 through 2016 by Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards; (with Fredrikson & Byron) named “Tax Law Firm of the Year” for the USA by Finance Monthly for 2014, 2015 and 2016; “M&A Today Global Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year” for the USA for 2016; 2015 Legal Award for “Excellence in Tax Litigation – Minnesota” from the International Association of Lawyers and Swissport; “Leading Lawyer Global 250 for 2014” by Lawyer Monthly; “Lawyer International – Legal 100 Award for 2016 Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year” for the USA; and (with Fredrikson & Byron) “Best Corporate Tax Law Firm” for the USA for 2016 by Lawyer’s World.
Department Stores and Shopping Centers
Our representation of many big box retailers, national retailers and major shopping center developers and managers has led to reductions in value of many millions of dollars each year for major retail facilities.
We have generated real estate tax savings as high as seven figure amounts for our clients, reducing the taxable value by as much as 70% for properties in both the Minneapolis and St. Paul central business districts and throughout the greater metro area.
Environmentally Contaminated Properties
We are nationally recognized for our cutting-edge work in cases where the market value of the subject property is adversely affected by petroleum derivatives, asbestos, PCBs, landfills, and other contaminants.
Medical Office Buildings
We have developed considerable expertise in the valuation of medical office buildings resulting in substantial reductions for our clients.
Industrial, Manufacturing, Office Warehouse and Office Showroom Facilities
We have regular experience with large and not-so-large industrial properties, and have achieved tax reductions for our clients reducing the estimated market value by millions of dollars, including newer facilities.
We have achieved tax reductions of more than 50% on unimproved parcels.
Even in a rising market we achieved annual reductions in market value of several millions of dollars on apartment complexes, in some instances reducing taxes by more than 50%.
We have achieved reductions in appeals of grain elevators exceeding 30%.
We have successfully represented several major banks in trial and in negotiations.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Moderator, “Valuation Issues Involving the Dark Store Theory: Build-to-Suit, Sale-Leaseback and Vacant Properties,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 3, 2016
- Moderator, “The Dark Store Theory and Related Hot Topics in the Valuation of Big Box Retail Properties,” NAPTA Annual Conference, Boston, Massachusetts October 2, 2015
- Panelist, “Reducing Your Corporate Real & Personal Property Taxes,” Industrial Asset Management Council (IAMC) Professional Forum, Cleveland, Ohio, September 26, 2015
- Moderator, “Valuation Issues for Senior Housing,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 19, 2015
- Speaker, “Roundtable: Perspectives on Valuation Issues,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 19, 2015
- Speaker, “Meet with the Experts,” IAAO Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, September 15, 2015
- Moderator, The Times, They Are A Changing: Understanding and Valuing Property During Transition, Repositioning and Redevelopment, NAPTA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 28, 2014
- Moderator, Valuation Issues for Big Box Stores and Malls, ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 3, 2014
- Speaker, “Multi-State Property Tax Update and Roundtable Discussion,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 3, 2014
- Moderator, Overview of the Cost Approach, Focusing on Physical Depreciation, ABA/IPT 2013 Property Tax Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 21, 2013
- Speaker, “Minnesota Update,” Multi-State Property Tax Update and Roundtable Discussion, ABA/IPT 2013 Property Tax Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 21, 2013
- Moderator, Functional Obsolescence, ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 22, 2012
- Moderator, The Use of Review Appraisals in Property Valuation Cases, ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 22, 2012
- Moderator, Economic Obsolescence, ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 24, 2011
- Speaker, “Practical Property Tax Litigation Issues, Pointers and Tips,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 24, 2011
- Valuation Issues in a Declining Market, ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 25, 2010
- “Real Property Case Update”, Institute for Professionals in Taxation, Minneapolis/St. Paul Chapter, January 24, 2006
- “Environmental Effects on Property Tax”, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT) 2003 Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, June 23, 2003
- “Trends in Property Tax Cases - Observations from the Front Line”, 5th Annual Real Estate Trends 2003 Seminar, Metro/Minnesota Chapter of the Appraisal Institute, St. Paul, Minnesota, April 10, 2003
- Chairperson, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE) Program Asset Valuation, Bloomington, Minnesota, April 3, 2003
- “The Impact of a Sale of the Subject Property on the Determination of Taxable Market Value”, Asset Valuation Seminar presented by Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE), Bloomington, Minnesota, April 3, 2003
Honors & Education
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1978
- Hinton Moot Court Finalist, 1977
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., 1975, summa cum laude
- St. Thomas Academy, 1971, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1978
- Federal Courts, 1988
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation and Controversy - Tax, 2015-present
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer, 2008, 2010-2017
- Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year - USA, by Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards, 2013-2016
- Tax Law Firm of the Year, Finance Monthly, 2014-2015
- 2015 Legal Award, Excellence in Tax Litigation - Minnesota, International Association of Lawyers and Swissport
- Golden Globe 100 Award - Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year - USA by KMH Media Group
- Best Corporate Tax Law Firm - USA, by LegalComprehensive.com
- Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- ICFM 500 Leading Lawyer 2016, by Inter Continental Finance & Law
- Top Rated Lawyer in Taxation Law, by American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbard
- Best Corporate Tax Law Firm - USA by Lawyers World Law Awards, 2016
- Leading Lawyer Global 250 for 2014, Lawyer Monthly
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- MSBA Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law, certified by the Real Property Section of the Minnesota Bar Association
- Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards, Corporate Tax Lawyer of the Year, 2013-2014
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Urban, State and Local Law and Tax Sections, State and Local Taxation Committee
- ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar Committee Co-Chair, 2010 to present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Real Property and Tax Sections
- Minnesota Corporate Counsel Association
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Minneapolis and St. Paul Building Owners and Managers Association
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Minnesota Shopping Center Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association