Fredrikson & Byron shareholder Todd E. Zimmerman has been named a Fellow with the International Society of Barristers.
Todd E. Zimmerman
Assistant: Andrea Nowak, 701.237.8229
“Clients want to resolve business disputes and problems. Sometimes that requires smart, effective litigation.”
Todd focuses his practice on contract litigation, corporate governance and shareholder disputes, securities litigation and broker/dealer claims, real estate litigation and other business disputes.
Todd handles a wide range of commercial litigation matters and related business transactions. He has also handled several products liability matters, real estate disputes, securities claims, and closely held business issues.
Todd has a particular focus on matters for his financial services clients, including loan restructurings and workouts, litigation, and privacy issues.
Todd’s background as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is valuable in representing his business clients in a number of different industries including financial services, manufacturing and distribution, computer software and consulting, real estate, agriculture and insurance.
- Defended multiple cases for a publicly held client obtaining favorable trial verdicts, summary judgment rulings and settlements.
- Represented a municipal public service entity in successfully resolving its claims against multiple service providers and product vendors.
- Successfully litigated several real estate disputes and addressed multiple loan workout and foreclosure matters.
- Obtained a defense ruling at the close of trial on partnership and professional malpractice claims.
- Successfully represented several national broker/dealers in arbitration and litigation matters.
- Successfully defended a national insurance company in real estate litigation involving a variety of contractual theories.
- Restructured and successfully worked-out several multimillion dollar loan and bond issue defaults for a national bank holding company.
- Successfully defended a German manufacturing company in an action brought by a large customer alleging breaches of warranty and misrepresentation.
- Secured a substantial settlement based upon claims of breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of trade secrets by a former officer of a manufacturing client.
- Successfully restructured and obtained payment in full for a financial services client facing various defaults on a $17 million secured loan and line of credit.
- Obtained a substantial settlement for a client against a competitor based on claims that the competitor had improperly obtained trade secrets and other proprietary information from an officer of the client.
- Successfully represented several different broker/dealers against customer claims and claims by regulatory authorities.
- Obtained a substantial settlement for a regional seed company based on claims against a foreign supplier of hybrid seed products.
- Advised a Canadian client regarding U.S. business operations and structured its U.S. business organization and contractual matters.
- Negotiated and structured the sale of a local bank to a regional bank holding company.
- Successfully represented a financial services company and its affiliates in privacy litigation.
- Advised several clients regarding federal and state privacy issues and assisted in structuring their business affiliations and transactions to ensure compliance.
- Represented a venture capital fund in structuring investments.
- Successfully represented a regional financial services company regarding disputes with the Small Business Administration.
- Successfully represented an accounting software provider in several matters alleging breach of warranty, breach of contract and related tort theories.
- Successfully defended a financial services company in an environmental claim asserted after the client commenced foreclosure proceedings on what was later found to be a contaminated site.
- Successfully represented an agriculture processing company in disputes regarding its waste water discharge and impact on surrounding properties.
- Represented a manufacturing client in multi-state asbestos litigation.
- Successfully represented a national company in obtaining local and state permits to operate a business which extracts precious metals from industrial solvents.
Articles & Presentations
August 25, 2015
Six Fredrikson & Byron attorneys were named 2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers, and three Fredrikson attorneys were named 2015 Great Plains Rising Stars.
August 25, 2014
Five Fredrikson & Byron attorneys were named 2014 Great Plains Super Lawyers, and three attorneys were named 2014 Great Plains Rising Stars.
August 18, 2014
Fifty-nine Fredrikson & Byron attorneys were included in The Best Lawyers in America 2015© (Copyright 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Don’t Lose a Legal Battle Before Entering the Ring,” co-authored with Brandt Doerr, Fargo INC!, August 2018
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1990, magna cum laude
- University of North Dakota, B.B.A., Accounting, 1987, summa cum laude
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Courts for North Dakota
- U.S. District Courts for Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Minnesota Law & Politics, Super Lawyer, 2006-present
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005-present
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Fargo Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2015 and 2017
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Fargo Commercial Litigation, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2007-present; Litigation – Banking and Finance, Litigation – Real Estate, Litigation – Securities, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2011-present; Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2019
- Order of the Coif
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Member, North Dakota State Bar Association
- Member, Cass County Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section