Health Care Innovation & IT
Fredrikson & Byron attorneys have extensive experience representing clients who are transforming health care through their innovative business models and information technologies.
“We focus on maximizing gain and minimizing risk in the legal and regulatory environment.”
What We Do
As one of the largest health care and life sciences practices in the Midwest, our attorneys understand that the face of health care is changing daily. The many challenges and opportunities created by the constantly changing landscape of the health care industry center around:
- Traditional providers delivering health care in new ways
- Payers, device and pharma companies collaborating with providers to improve care
- Service providers creating new access points to the health care market
- Patients taking more control over their own health care choices
If you are a health care innovator, or an investor in health care innovation, you know that the pace of change is accelerating. We want to help you be part of the transformation.
The sophisticated health law technology, finance and intellectual property lawyers in Fredrikson & Byron’s Health Care Innovation & IT Group have extensive experience representing clients who are transforming health care through innovative business models and information technologies. Our attorneys focus on maximizing gain while minimizing risk, which is a real challenge in the current legal and regulatory environment. As legal advisors, we focus on helping you capture the opportunities in this market by:
- Navigating a myriad of state and federal issues
- Protecting the innovation through patents, trade secrets, and litigation
- Structuring the business for investment and growth
Our attorneys understand the many challenges and opportunities created by the constantly changing landscape of the health care industry. Representative experience includes:
- Retail Health Care. Primary legal counsel for the leading retail clinic in all aspects of its entity formation, regulatory compliance, financings, multi-state expansion and sale to a national pharmacy.
- Health Care Franchisors. Represent health care franchisors in all aspects of their franchise operations.
- Practice Management Companies. Represent numerous national practice management companies on a variety of matters, including regulatory compliance, financings and acquisitions.
- Telemedicine and Remote Monitoring. Advise numerous companies providing telemedicine and remote monitoring through proprietary information technology, including advice regarding privacy, licensing, direct-to-consumer marketing and other compliance issues.
- Medical Tourism. Represent a multi-provider network of health care providers to provide health care and concierge services to foreign citizens.
- Diagnostics and Imaging. Assist providers of diagnostics and/or imaging systems, with particular focus on technology development and licensing and joint distribution arrangements.
- Electronic Medical Records. Represent providers and numerous purchasers of EMR systems in license and related matters. Represent developers of EMR systems in intellectual property and enforcement matters.
- Health Care Exchange. Advise on structure and contract matters involving group purchasing and health care exchange for sales of medical device and related products.
- Data Collaborations. Advise on structure and negotiate collaboration arrangements between providers, payers and device companies using big data analytics to leverage clinical and payer data to improve cost of care.
- FDA Matters. Guide manufacturers of regulated medical device software and apps through federal regulatory compliance matters.
- Trade Secrets and Confidential Information. Advise numerous companies in all areas of technology on policies, contracts and best practices for protecting sensitive information. Represent clients through investigations and litigation involving potential security breaches.
- Health Technology Infrastructure. Advise on trade secret protection and enforcement for Natural Language Processing (NLP) software used to parse and code electronic medical records.
- Patents. Obtain and enforce patent rights for inventors of all manner of health care technology, from medical devices and software to pharmaceuticals. Investigate potential patent claims by competitors, guide clients through strategic plans to minimize patent challenges and defend against patent claims from competitors and non-practicing patent aggregators.