Media & Entertainment
Members of our Media & Entertainment Law Group have seen the media and entertainment industries in a way very few lawyers have: from the inside. Your experience with us will be different. We're more than your lawyers. We're your colleagues.
Proud sponsor of the Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association (MIMA)’s Conversations About The Future Of Advertising (CATFOA) event on July 19, featuring Faris Yakob of Genius/Steals.
What We Do
Our Goal Is To Help You Do What You Want. Not Tell You What You Can't
Creativity requires intuition, open-mindedness, ingenuity and risk-taking – attributes not commonly associated with lawyers. Creative professionals often view attorneys as naysayers, more likely to say what can't be done than to explore the possibilities.
Our Group Is Greater Than The Sum Of Its Lawyers
Fredrikson & Byron's Media & Entertainment Group brings together many attorneys from a variety of disciplines.
We have a distinct but related combination of skills, interests and capabilities.
Our experience is in areas as diverse as employment, corporate, partnership and securities law, business and tax planning, dispute resolution, sports, entertainment and media law, cable television franchising and community programming, fiber optic and telecommunications planning and development and advertising, promotion, trademark and copyright law.
We regularly draw on one another's special knowledge and experience. What's more, we have the resources of one of the area's largest law firms, with more than 160 attorneys. So even when you work directly with only one of us, you benefit from the synergistic thinking of many.
The Quality Of Our Advice Is Best Measured By The Success & Potential Of Those We Represent
Name the most successful advertisers and advertising and sales promotion agencies. Think of the most technologically progressive cities in the country. Or the most talented entertainers, music producers, writers and filmmakers.
Big or small, established or on the rise, they may well be working with us.
We're proud of our relationships with all of them. And think our association is more than a coincidence.
Advertising & Promotion
We work with advertisers, advertising, direct marketing and sales promotion agencies, designers, illustrators, photographers and other creative service businesses of all sizes throughout the country.
The services we offer these clients include:
- Advertising copy review
- Sweepstakes review, rule drafting and registrations
- Agency/client agreements
- Talent contracts
- Idea disclosure agreements
- Trademark searches, registrations and licensing
- Competitive advertising disputes/litigation
- Television/Radio network commercial clearance
- Copyright registration, protection and licensing
- Trade secret protection
- Errors/omissions insurance review
- Music licensing agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Product labeling and warranties
- Hold-harmless agreements
- SAG/AFTRA issues
- Self-regulation challenges
- Client seminars
- Trade secret protection
Film, Video & Media
Fredrikson & Byron lawyers represent video, film, television and multimedia production companies, producers, directors, writers, communications companies, investment partnerships and others in the industry. The services we offer these clients include:
Analysis of entertainment projects and investment opportunities
Copyright and trademark protection and licensing
Business and project organization and tax planning
Analyzing and negotiating distribution agreements
Errors and omissions insurance review
Motion picture filming arrangements
Motion picture production agreements, including director, producer, talent, location, writer, soundtrack and other agreements
Sale and licensing of rights in stories, screenplays, photography and music
Television programming agreements
Tax, business and estate planning
Attorneys in our group have worked in the industries they now represent and they continue to hold key leadership positions in various organizations in the media and entertainment industries. Our team’s backgrounds provide clients a practical working knowledge of their businesses that just can't be learned in a classroom or courtroom.
- Steve Helland represents producers, talent, and creators in both new-media (Internet, Apps) and traditional-media (film, television) formats. He advises owners in both buying and selling of technology and Internet-focused media and entertainment businesses, and maximizing value from intellectual property assets. E-Publishing, including e-books and apps, as well as traditional publishing, are focal points of Steve’s practice, and his industry-leading clients include Thomson Reuters and Hazelden Publishing. Steve is past Chairman of the Minnesota Film & Television Board and has represented producers, writers, directors and talent in reality, documentary and narrative film and television projects.
- John Stout is a director, co-founder and past chairman of the Minnesota Film Board and has worked on the financing of more than 60 independent feature film projects with companies and filmmakers throughout the country. As co-founder of New Front Films, John has had producing roles in three of the company's six feature films. He's also a resource panelist for the Independent Features Project and a past chair of the Cricket Theater.