This Policy does not apply to information collected through other means such as by telephone, by mail, or in person, although that information may be protected by other policies or applicable law.
For clarity, our obligations with respect to confidentiality to our clients are governed by our client engagement letter, applicable laws, and applicable rules of professional conduct.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
When you use this website, you may choose to provide us with personal information about yourself in a variety of different ways. For the purposes of this Policy, “personal information” is any information that, either alone or in combination with other information, identifies or can be used to contact a particular individual. The types of personal information we may collect about you includes:
- Identity information: First name, last name, username and password, Internet Protocol address, or other similar identifiers.
- Contact information: Email address, postal address, telephone number.
- Financial data: Payment card details, bank account details, or other payment information.
- Transactional data: Details about marketing events you have attended or participated in, inquiries you have made, orders you have placed, and services you have requested or received.
- Subscription, marketing and communications information: Details regarding newsletters or blogs you have subscribed to, information you have downloaded from our website, requests for information from you, and information on your marketing or communication preferences.
- Job Applicant information: Current employer, current position, prior work history and education, resume information, and qualifications for employment.
We may collect this information directly from you when you:
- Provide us your email and other contact information in order to receive “newsletters,” email updates, or other publications, articles, or notifications.
- Send us an email.
- Provide us with feedback or input on any item or matter.
- Request that an attorney contact you or provide information to you.
- Register for or participate in an in-person or on-line event such as a seminar or webinar.
- Sign up or subscribe to any on-line or off-line publication or information offering provided by us.
- Purchase any item from us, such as a handbook or other publication.
- Submit a testimonial, comment, or other feedback message on a blog or other public forum hosted on the website, if any.
- Send us payment information, such as a credit card number provided by email.
- Submit or request career / employment information.
- Otherwise submit personal information to us with your consent.
Cookies and Other Analytic Devices or Methods
We use various technologies to collect certain types of information about the users of our website. Examples include:
- Device Identifiers: In addition to the IP addresses described above, we may also collect mobile device identifiers, which identify the device or service provider used to access the website.
- Cookies: Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user’s experience more efficient. Our website uses different types of cookies to, among other things, automatically recognize you when you return to our sites, store information regarding your preferences, and analyze traffic to our sites. Please note that cookies are essential to the operation of our sites and, if disabled, you may not be able to enjoy certain features of the sites. We do not honor “Do Not Track” signals.
- Web beacons and other technologies: Our sites may use other tools, including web beacons and pixels, which allow us to track activity on our site.
The information collected through these technologies may be combined with personal information or aggregated with other information on website visits.
How We Use Your Information
We use information about you to communicate with you, provide services, information, and/or requested products to you, to promote our business, and to otherwise support our business. Some examples include but are not limited to:
- To respond to requests from you and otherwise communicate with you, including distributing promotional materials, newsletters, or other information about our business or events.
- To personalize the website for you.
- To administer surveys and seek feedback.
- To provide you with information that we believe may be useful to you, such as information about products or services provided by us or other businesses.
- To process an employment application or employment-related request.
- To perform analytics and to improve our products, websites, and advertising.
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, and legal process.
- To keep a record of our transactions and communications.
- To share information with affiliated entities, such as Fredrikson Healthcare Consulting.
- As otherwise necessary or useful for us to conduct our business, so long as such use is permitted by applicable law and rules or authorized by your express consent to such use.
We may use personal information to contact you, consistent with applicable law, through any contact information you provide through our website, including any mailing address, email address, telephone number, cell phone number, text message number, or fax number. You expressly consent to our use of all information provided by you to contact you by any applicable method.
Disclosure of Your Information
Fredrikson does not sell or rent your personal information to unaffiliated third parties for marketing purposes, except as set forth in this Policy or any other privacy policies or agreement that may be applicable. We may share information about you with third parties for the following purposes:
Service Providers and Vendors to Fredrikson
We may share information about you with vendors and service providers that assist us with our business. For example, if you order a product (such as a legal handbook authored by us) to be shipped, we will share your name and address with the delivery service such as UPS. Similarly, if you pay for an item with a credit card, we share information with the applicable financial institution(s) or payment card processors as necessary to process your transaction and to protect against fraud. We share information with other companies that help us improve our service offerings and our website. We may share information with a third-party email vendor or our event vendors or partners. We may also store information via cloud or similar technology involving third party storage or technology. Your personal information will be stored and processed by our service providers in the United States.
Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others
We may disclose your information in other special circumstances. These include situations when the sharing your information is necessary or reasonably desirable in our business judgment to protect the safety, property, or other rights of Fredrikson, our clients, our vendors, or any other person, or where otherwise required by law. Fredrikson may provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legal inquiry or order such as a subpoena, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by applicable law. We may share your information and cooperate with law enforcement authorities at our discretion, so long as such action is permitted by applicable law and rules of attorney conduct.
We may disclose or transfer any information we have about you in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Fredrikson and its assets, or as part of a corporate reorganization, dissolution, or restructuring, or other change in corporate control or similar transaction. We may also share your information with our affiliate entities.
We may de-identify and aggregate information regarding the use of our website. Once all identifying information about you has been removed and the information is anonymous, we may use or share such aggregate information without restriction.
In addition to the above, we may disclose or share your information, including personal information, with third parties when authorized by you to do so or with your express consent.
Tracking Technologies and Advertising
Marketing Communications and Emails
You may choose to opt out of marketing emails or communications by using the “Unsubscribe” link found at the bottom of such emails or communications, or by contacting us at the “Contact Us” information below.
Updating Your Information
Fredrikson takes reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete. You can access or update your personal information, including contact or account information by contacting us at the “Contact Us” information below.
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the information provided below.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see the Privacy Notice for California and the California Job Applicant Privacy Notice for more information.
Due to the nature of the internet and online communications, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted online will remain absolutely confidential. When you are accessing third party tools that appear on or are linked to via this website (for example, Google maps), the third party may also collect information about you, including information such as an internet protocol (IP) address.
Privacy of Children Online
We are committed to protecting children’s online privacy. Our website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowing collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do you use or provide any information on this website. Please contact us via the “Contact Us” section of this Policy if you believe we may have collected information from or about a child under 13.
You understand and agree that information about you may be stored or processed by information technology systems located in the United States or jurisdictions that may have laws that differ from the laws of your country of residence or the jurisdiction in which you reside.
We may modify this Policy from time to time. Please check back on this page for notice of such changes.
If you have any questions regarding our information handling practices, you may contact us at:
Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
Attention: Privacy Officer
200 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-1425
Last Updated: October 26, 2020