Devan’s practice focuses on representing clients in employment matters and commercial disputes.
Devan advises and defends employers on a variety of employment and business-related issues, representing them in all stages of litigation. She develops case strategy, facilitates mediation and settlement, engages in motion practice and discovery, and tries cases in state and federal courts.
Devan also advises employers outside of litigation, reviewing and drafting employment policies, contracts, and handbooks and providing general advice on day-to-day issues.
Devan’s background allows her to thoughtfully serve the wide-ranging legal needs of employers. Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Devan practiced law in Kansas City where she maintained an active docket of commercial litigation matters, representing clients nationally in various industries including insurance, banking, medical technology, construction, retail and higher education. Additionally, prior to law school, she was a legal assistant for an immigration firm in Chicago where she managed employment-based applications for permanent residency.
Devan is dedicated to serving the community and pro bono work. She assists individuals with a variety of immigration issues, including affirmative and defensive asylum claims.
Devan is licensed to practice in Iowa, Minnesota and Missouri.
- Reviews and drafts employment policies, contracts and handbooks
- Advises businesses in various industries on employment issues
- Conducts internal investigations for employers
- Member of trial team that developed complex successor liability claim and obtained full judgment for insurance company in commercial receivables litigation
- Member of trial team representing healthcare IT company against substantial breach of contract and business tort claims
- Member of team that defended aviation company against breach of contract and fraud claims
- Member of team that defended health insurance company against antitrust, RICO, unfair competition and tort claims
- Member of team that successfully defended client in mining lease dispute before Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member of team that obtained summary judgment in complex fraudulent transfer bankruptcy matter
- Member of team that facilitated settlement of over a hundred preference claims in bankruptcy matter
- Represents individuals seeking asylum
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2017, with high distinction
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., 2012, with distinction
- Iowa, 2021
- Minnesota, 2021
- Missouri, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2017
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Jon Stuart Scoles, Chief Magistrate, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2015
- Order of the Coif
- Distinguished Student Leader, University of Iowa, 2017
- Boyd Service Award, Highest Honors
Civic & Professional
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Polk County Bar Association, Member
- Polk County Women Attorneys, Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Journal of Gender, Race & Justice, Editor-in-Chief, Volume 20, 2016-2017
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute, Community Connect Program, 2022
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Co-Presenter, "My Employee Said What? Rethinking Reactions to Employee Speech," Fredrikson & Byron's Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar, On-Demand Webinar, October 2021
Co-Presenter, “Ethics and Professional Considerations for Litigators and Counselors,” Lawyers Association of Kansas City Fifth Annual Opening Day CLE, Kansas City, Missouri, March 28, 2019