Lora is a trial lawyer focusing on intellectual property cases in federal courts.
Clients and colleagues recognize Lora for her extraordinary range of experience and her effective advocacy in trademark, copyright and patent litigation. Lora’s decades-long dedication to federal court practice started when she served as a federal law clerk and continued with service on the Federal Practice Committee, appointment to the Merit Selection Panels that recommend federal magistrate judges, and leadership roles in the Federal Bar Association. Lora uses her extensive knowledge of federal courts to help her clients achieve successful outcomes. Lora is dedicated to client needs and is known for practical, business-focused advice.
- Lora and her colleagues are defending the world’s leading medical products provider in a patent infringement lawsuit. The team scored a critical win by defeating the opponent’s motion for a preliminary injunction.
- Lora is lead counsel for the Prince Estate in litigation concerning the late superstar’s intellectual property. A skilled trial lawyer, Lora and her team recently obtained an award of $4,000,000 in damages and attorney’s fees in an arbitration involving the unauthorized use of Prince music.
- Lora has obtained quick dismissals of patent infringement lawsuits filed by non-practicing entities using motions to dismiss and petitions for inter partes review. Lora is currently representing a publicly traded company in a patent infringement lawsuit pending in Minnesota.
- Often retained to protect important brands, Lora defended a large manufacturer in a trademark infringement lawsuit involving the company’s top-selling product. After obtaining a decision dismissing the damages claim, Lora and her team negotiated a settlement that secured her client’s rights in the mark.
- Lora defended a Fortune 500 company in a copyright infringement lawsuit in Indiana. After Lora identified numerous obstacles to the plaintiff’s claim, the plaintiff agreed to dismiss the lawsuit.
- Lora was a member of the winning trial team in a patent case in the Eastern District of Texas. Our client, a manufacturer of display stands, faced an opponent seeking $65 million in damages. Lora tried the damages portion of the case and convinced the jury to reject the exorbitant amount sought by the plaintiffs.
- Lora is lead counsel in a trade dress infringement matter involving the iconic SKIPPY® peanut butter brand. The case is pending in Ohio.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1995, magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.A., Journalism, 1991, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2018
- Clerk, Judge John R. Tunheim, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1998
- Minnesota 500, The Most Powerful Business Leaders in Minnesota, Minnesota Monthly, 2020
- Leading Trademark Attorney, World Trademark Review 1000, 2014, 2016-2022
- Recommended Advisor, Minnesota, IP Law Experts—2019/2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation—Intellectual Property, 2018-present
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (membership by invitation only)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2015-2021
- Super Lawyer—Intellectual Property Litigation, Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2019-present
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2016
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2010
Civic & Professional
- Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panels, 2010, 2013, 2018 and 2022
- Implementation and Leadership for Federal Pro Se Project, 2011
- Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter, President, 2009-2010
- Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter, Board of Directors, 2001-2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Federal Practice Committee, 2006-2009
- IP Litigation Group, Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter, Founder and Chair, 2005
News & Insights
- Firm News
- Firm News
- Firm News
- Firm News
Publications & Presentations
Presenter, The Year in Review for Minnesota IP Litigation, MIPLA Stampede, May 2018
Quoted in “Atty Who Missed Deposition in Prince TM Spat Told To Comply,” Law360, February 22, 2018
Moderator, Fake vs. Real: Anti-Counterfeiting Strategies to Protect Your Brand, Fredrikson & Byron Anti-Counterfeiting Seminar, November 30, 2017
Quoted in “Lengthy Legal Battle Continues Over Five Unreleased Prince Songs,” Star Tribune, July 28, 2017
Quoted in "Judge Blocks Release of Unpublished Prince Songs," MPR News, April 20, 2017
Presenter, Year in Review for Minnesota IP Litigation, MIPLA Stampede, June 2016
Presenter, Legal Project Management: A New Way of Managing Matters, MNACCA Lunch and Learn, October 2014
Quoted in “Small Tech Firm Wins a Round in Lawsuit Against Microsoft,” Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, January 28, 2014
Panelist, Project Management for Law Firms 2014: Tools and Approaches to Implement Legal Project Management, PLI, January 23, 2014