Update on Suspension of Entry for Nonimmigrants

April 14, 2021

By Immigration Group

This article was prepared with the assistance of ABIL, the Alliance of Business Immigration Lawyers, of which Loan Huynh, Fredrikson Immigration Department Chair, is a member.

The Department of State issued an update on Presidential Proclamation 10052, which suspended the entry of certain H-1B, H-2B, J (for certain categories within the Exchange Visitor Program) and L nonimmigrants. That proclamation expired on March 31, 2021.

The Department said that applicants who have not yet been interviewed or scheduled for an interview will have their applications prioritized and processed in accordance with existing “phased resumption of visa services” guidance. Visa applicants who were previously refused visas due to the restrictions “may reapply by submitting a new application including a new fee.”

The resumption of routine visa services, prioritized after services to U.S. citizens, is occurring on a post-by-post basis, the Department’s said: “Applicants should check the website of their nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for updates on the services that post is currently offering.”