In order to assist its shareholders with obtaining liquidity, many community bank organizations engage in what are often referred to as “desktop transactions.” Although a long-standing practice, these transactions pose real risks for the bank and its personnel under securities laws.
Christopher enjoys working with privately and publicly held small and emerging businesses—primarily in the biopharma and life sciences industries—in capital raising transactions, securities compliance and general corporate matters.
He frequently serves as outside general and corporate counsel for his clients, advising them on a range of transactions and legal matters, including public offerings and private placements, SEC reporting and compliance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions (including reverse merger transactions with public shells), general commercial and business agreements, clinical trial and research agreements, and general corporate matters. He has also represented investors making equity investments in privately and publicly held companies in the life sciences, technology and manufacturing industries. Christopher is the co-chair of the firm’s Life Sciences Group and a member of the Securities, Start Ups & Venture Capital and Corporate Groups.
Venture Capital and Private Equity Financings
- Represented Kite Pharma, Inc. in connection with its $35 million Series A Convertible Preferred financing led by a leading healthcare venture capital investor
- Represented Talon Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with a series of related convertible preferred stock investments totaling $69 million by a leading global private equity investor in between 2010 and 2012
- Represented Tigris Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in connection with its $6.5 million private placement of Series C Convertible Preferred Stock in 2010 and in connection with its $16 million private placement of Series B Convertible Preferred Stock in 2006, in each case lead by venture capital investors
- Represented Arno Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its 2012 offering of convertible debentures and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $14.9 million and its 2013 offering of common stock and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $30.7 million
- Represented Nile Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its 2009 and 2011 offerings of common stock and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $6 million
- Represented Arno Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its 2010 private placement of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $15 million
- Represented Hana Biosciences, Inc. (n/k/a Talon Therapeutics, Inc.) in connection with its 2009 offering of common stock and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of $16 M and its October 2005 offering of common stock and warrants resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $16 million
- Represented Cougar Biotechnology, Inc. in connection with two 2007 private placements of common stock resulting in total gross proceeds of $137 million
Public and Registered Offerings
- Represented Nile Therapeutics, Inc. in its 2010 and 2012 public offerings of common stock and warrants
- Represented Hana Biosciences, Inc. in connection with its May 2006 registered direct offering of common stock resulting gross proceeds of approximately $40 million
M&A and Reverse Mergers
- Represented Galena Biopharma, Inc. in connection with its April 2011 acquisition of Apthera, Inc., resulting in RXi’s transformation as a research-focused company into a development company, as well as its 2014 acquisition of Mills Pharma, LLC and its 2014 license with MonoSol Rx, LLC for commercial rights to a specialty pharma product
- Served as special counsel to Radius Health, Inc. in connection with its 2011 reverse merger and related private financing
- Represented Arno Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its 2008 reverse merger transaction and concurrent $16 million private placement of common stock
- Represented Cougar Biotechnology, Inc. in connection with its 2006 reverse merger and related $46 million private placement of common and preferred stock
- Has served as outside general counsel for several early-stage and emerging biopharmaceutical companies, both publicly-traded and privately-held, including: Cougar Biotechnology, Inc. (until its 2009 sale to Johnson & Johnson); Talon Therapeutics, Inc. (f/k/a Hana Biosciences, Inc.); Nile Therapeutics, Inc.; Tigris Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Arno Therapeutics, Inc.; and Kite Pharma, Inc.
- Advise biopharmaceutical companies in connection with the negotiation of clinical trial, sponsored research, CMC services, confidentiality and other commercial agreements
- Served as placement agent’s counsel for life sciences-focused investment bank in connection with several private placements
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “Show Me the Money,” Fredrikson & Byron Start Up and Rapid Growth Enterprise (SURGE) Series, October 22, 2015
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1996, summa cum laude, Co-Valedictorian
- St. John’s University, B.A., Government, 1993, cum laude
- Minnesota, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1997
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2004, 2006-2008