Eric focuses on prosecuting and managing patents. He also advises clients on how to stop (or prevent) infringement of their intellectual property.
Eric is an officer and shareholder in Fredrikson & Byron’s Intellectual Property and Litigation Groups. He does a great deal of work helping clients avoid the patents of competitors. When competitors have invalid patents, Eric works with litigators to attack those patents in court or, when appropriate, he asks the Patent Office to reconsider the validity of the patents by initiating Reexaminations or Reviews.
Eric is highly skilled in a wide range of mechanical arts. For example, he has done patent work on press brake tools, turret press tools, sheet metal stamping, extrusion equipment, polymer filtering, floor cleaning vehicles, carpet extractors, vacuums, wheel bearings and other bearing assemblies, agricultural equipment, HVAC components and systems, assembly line technology, automation equipment, window products, privacy glazing products, glass making and other glass technology, medical device technology, fire-fighting equipment, log building technology, and consumer products.
Eric has worked extensively on a variety of coating technologies, particularly in connection with thin films and vacuum deposition methods. Examples include glass coatings, such as low-emissivity, solar-control, hydrophilic or photocatalytic coatings; switchable privacy glass coatings; coatings for electrolysis anodes; photovoltaic coatings; gemstone coatings; sputter deposition; ion beam processes; flash-lamp annealing; tempering; and other heat treatments. Eric has also worked on numerous inventions involving multi-layer structures, such as laminates (e.g., safety glass), polymer extrusions, lithophanes and various glazing technologies.
Eric also has particular interest in aerospace technology, especially the mechanical components used in this field, as well as products in which flow characteristics are important. He has worked on technologies involving aircraft design, floats for amphibious airplanes, aircraft landing safety warning systems, fire suppression aircraft technology, and aircraft bearing systems.
Articles & Presentations
May 1, 2018
No matter how much IP experience a person has, it can be valuable to have short, easy-to-consume reminders of the basic things a company should consider.Read More
January 13, 2014
Is it now possible to get a patent on the broad strokes of an invention while at the same time creating potentially never-ending trade secret protection on the cleverest aspects of the invention? In the opinion of this author, the answer is “no,” but this may change.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Key IP Legal Trends 2018-19 in Brief – Retail,” co-authored with Ann Dunn Wessberg, The IP Book, 16th Edition, Chapter 10, September 2018
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property,” NEON Small Business Ed. Legal Series, June 2018
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property Basics: Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights & Trade Secrets,” NEON Small Business Ed. Legal Series, May 2017
- “6 Ways to Update Patent Prosecution Protocols Post-Nautilus,” LAW360, July 2014
- Speaker, “Reading the Tea Leaves - The Impact of Early PTAB Decisions on Litigation and Prosecution Strategy,” MIPLA Stampede, May 2014
- Speaker, “Interviewing Patent Examiners,” 2012 Midwest IP Institute, September 21, 2012
- “Strategies for Success in a Demanding Patent Office,” co-authored with John Parzych, FredNEWS: Intellectual Property, December 8, 2008
- “Fredrikson Goes to the Fair: Patent Office ‘Technology Fair,’ That Is,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Intellectual Property Focus Newsletter, co-authored with Philip M. Goldman, December 2003
Honors & Education
- Franklin-Pierce Law Center, LL.M., Intellectual Property, 1999
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, 1994
- California Bar, 1997
- Minnesota Bar, 1999
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1999
The National Law Journal, Twin Cities Legal Departments of the Year, Counsel-to-Counsel Award Winner, 2015