President Trump recently signed into law a bill providing additional funding for the SBA’s 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) after the initial PPP funding of $350 billion under the CARES Act was exhausted on April 16.
Erik provides practical, timely and cost-efficient advice to his clients on a wide range of business matters throughout all stages of the business cycle.
Erik has closed more than 100 cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructuring and complex intellectual property transactions in diverse industries including software and technology, retail and life sciences. Through a combination of timely business guidance and stellar client service, he takes pride in the relationships and trust he builds with his clients.
Erik frequently serves as the lead on complex transactions, including drafting and negotiating purchase agreements and important ancillary agreements, leading due diligence efforts and supervising deal team members.
Through his extensive cross-border experience, he has handled numerous transactions in many European and South American countries, as well as Russia, Australia and India. With his knowledge of tax law, Erik is able to see issues in transactions and point out potential pitfalls before they grow into significant problems.
He also has a dedicated passion for pro bono work. He advises entrepreneurs and start-ups on a variety of business issues in addition to his work representing clients seeking asylum, children in the foster care system, and veterans.
- Represented leading national middle market private equity fund in numerous add-on acquisitions and platform sales.
- Represented a national private equity fund in the sale of a commercial services company to a private equity buyer, reported to be in excess of $500 million.
- Represented a Minnesota based construction company in the $2.9 billion sale to a financial buyer.
- Advised international software company on international reorganization and represented the client on several international strategic acquisitions.
- Represented a private equity backed software company in numerous domestic and cross-border acquisitions and the eventual sale to a private equity buyer for $470 million.
Articles & Presentations
April 14, 2020
While we are still waiting for Treasury to issue additional guidance on loan forgiveness terms under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), here is what we know now.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Presenter, “Introduction to Corporate Taxation,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Webcast, June 25, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Business Law: What You Need to Know,” MEDA and NFL Super Bowl Committee, December 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Your First Business Formation,” Your First Series, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, March 6, 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Introduction to Corporate Taxation,” 76th Tax Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Law Section, December 5, 2016
- Outline and Presenter, “Contracts 101,” Northside Economic Opportunity Network, April 20, 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Selecting and Forming Corporate Entities,” 2016 New Lawyer Experience, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, January 28, 2016
- Presenter, “Choosing Your Business Entity,” Neighborhood Development Clinic, December 8, 2015
Honors & Education
- Northwestern University School of Law, L.L.M., Taxation, 2013, with honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2012, cum laude
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., 2008, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2013
- Wisconsin, 2013 (inactive)
- Illinois, 2012 (inactive)
- Meda 2017 Volunteer of the Year
- Fredrikson & Byron Pro Bono Associate Volunteer of the Year Award, 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2014-2020
- Order of the Coif
- University of Wisconsin International Law Journal
- Northside Economic Opportunity Network, Counsel
- Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois State Bar Associations
- Children’s Law Center, Volunteer Lawyer
- Veterans Affairs, Volunteer Lawyer
- The Advocates for Human Rights, Volunteer Lawyer
- Gustavus Adolphus College Business Law Class, Former Guest Lecturer