President Trump recently signed into law a bill providing additional funding for the SBA’s 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) after the initial PPP funding of $350 billion under the CARES Act was exhausted on April 16.
Erik provides practical, timely and cost-efficient advice to his clients on a wide range of business matters throughout all stages of the business cycle.
Erik has closed more than 150 cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructuring and complex intellectual property transactions in diverse industries including software and technology, retail and life sciences. Through a combination of timely business guidance and stellar client service, he takes pride in the relationships and trust he builds with his clients.
Erik frequently serves as the lead on complex transactions, including drafting and negotiating purchase agreements and important ancillary agreements, leading due diligence efforts and supervising deal team members.
Through his extensive cross-border experience, he has handled numerous transactions in many European and South American countries, as well as Russia, Australia and India. With his knowledge of tax law, Erik is able to see issues in transactions and point out potential pitfalls before they grow into significant problems.
He also has a dedicated passion for pro bono work. He advises entrepreneurs and start-ups on a variety of business issues in addition to his work representing clients seeking asylum, children in the foster care system, and veterans.
Private Equity Representation
- Represented a Boston-based PE fund in the successful completion of its first continuation fund with an enterprise value of $400 million
- Represented a private equity backed software company in eight domestic and cross-border acquisitions and the eventual sale to a private equity buyer for $470 million
- Represented a Boston-based PE fund in its acquisition of a manufacturer of control solutions for the water and wastewater industry with an enterprise value more than $250 million, then continued to represent the manufacturer in its acquisitions of a company specializing in electric control panels for pumps and OEM machines, a maker of water and wastewater control systems and treatment pump systems, and a manufacturer of control panels and motor-generator sets—all with combined enterprise values of more than $580 million
- Represented a portfolio company of Kinderhook Industries in over 25 acquisitions, including 20 acquisitions of automotive service companies within a 12-month span
- Represented a portfolio company of a Boston-based PE fund, a global engineer and manufacturer of commercial and passenger vehicle technology, in its sale to a DC-based PE fund. Post-sale, continued to represent the company in its acquisition of provider of fleet management solutions
- Represented a PE platform business management software company in its acquisition of three management software makers with a combined enterprise value of $87 million and its sale of a warehouse / dock scheduling software company for $37 million
- Represented a PE-held company in the sale of its refrigeration and HVAC platform to a strategic buyer, with an enterprise value of $550 million
- Represented a portfolio company of a Boston-based PE fund, a distributor of disposable food service and janitorial supplies, in its $1.4 billion sale to a strategic buyer
- Represented a Minnesota-based construction company in the $2.9 billion sale to a financial buyer
- Represented makers of online SaaS registration, enrollment and school choice administration software platforms, in their sale to a private equity backed provider of solutions for K-12 strategic enrollment management and student behavior improvement
- Represented a marketing and technology consulting firm in its sale to a strategic buyer in the digital transformation consulting space
- Represented a provider of software developer tools and embedded components in its sale to a PE-backed buyer in the enterprise-grade DevOps-focused software solutions industry
Articles & Presentations
April 14, 2020
While we are still waiting for Treasury to issue additional guidance on loan forgiveness terms under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), here is what we know now.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Presenter, “Introduction to Corporate Taxation,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Webcast, June 25, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Business Law: What You Need to Know,” MEDA and NFL Super Bowl Committee, December 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Your First Business Formation,” Your First Series, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, March 6, 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Introduction to Corporate Taxation,” 76th Tax Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Law Section, December 5, 2016
- Outline and Presenter, “Contracts 101,” Northside Economic Opportunity Network, April 20, 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Selecting and Forming Corporate Entities,” 2016 New Lawyer Experience, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, January 28, 2016
- Presenter, “Choosing Your Business Entity,” Neighborhood Development Clinic, December 8, 2015
Honors & Education
- Northwestern University School of Law, L.L.M., Taxation, 2013, with honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2012, cum laude
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., 2008, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2013
- Wisconsin, 2013 (inactive)
- Illinois, 2012 (inactive)
- Meda 2017 Volunteer of the Year
- Fredrikson & Byron Pro Bono Associate Volunteer of the Year Award, 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2014-2020
- Order of the Coif
- University of Wisconsin International Law Journal
- Neighborhood Development Center, Board Member
- Northside Economic Opportunity Network, Counsel
- Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois State Bar Associations
- Children’s Law Center, Volunteer Lawyer
- Veterans Affairs, Volunteer Lawyer
- The Advocates for Human Rights, Volunteer Lawyer
- Gustavus Adolphus College Business Law Class, Former Guest Lecturer