Frank B. Bennett
Assistant: Rebecca Lemmons, 612.492.7544
“I endeavor to bring the knowledge and perspective I have gained over my career to help my clients achieve their business and personal objectives.”
Frank Bennett has closed over 300 transactions and has acted as outside general counsel to countless businesses over the last 35 years.
He advises public and private clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, corporate finance, venture finance and general corporate law. Frank represents a variety of U.S. and international private equity groups as well as strategic buyers, sellers, investors, financial advisors, management, and minority shareholders in leveraged and management buyouts, corporate restructurings and related transactions. Among the industries covered in these transactions are food processing and production, plastics and packaging, manufacturing, printing, aviation, software, transportation, retail, insurance, distribution and sales and financial services.
Frank regularly works with corporate officers, directors and senior management, providing general corporate advice on contracts, finance, licensing, employment, tax, corporate governance and other matters.
In addition to his legal practice, Frank serves on numerous nonprofit boards and two bank boards: Center National Bank in Litchfield, Minnesota and Coulee Bank in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. He is also a frequent speaker at CLE programs and has served as the co-editor of the Minnesota CLE Corporate Law Deskbook.
- Represented a U.S. based private equity sponsor in the acquisition of two international language interpretation businesses with offices located in Ireland, India and Asia, as well as multiple locations throughout the United States. Frank assisted this client with additional acquisitions in Germany, Spain and Los Angeles.
- Represented a U.S. private equity sponsor in connection with the acquisition of a major wafer Technology Foundry business in the semi-conductor industry.
- Represented an Indian Public Company in the sale of a U.S. based subsidiary to a private equity backed strategic buyer in the plastics/blowmolding industry.
- Represented a multigenerational family printing business in a recapitalization/refinancing that allowed it to make a synergistic acquisition in its industry and also to repurchase equity from certain private equity partners and restore 100 percent ownership to the family.
- Represented a European Private Equity Group in the sale of various U.S. operating companies in connection with the sale of a European based Audio and Electronics Platform to a leading European Private Equity Sponsor in a transaction valued at over $100 Million.
- Represented a leading U.S. Family Owned agricultural production and distribution Company in the sale of selected production and distribution facilities. The Seller was ranked in the top five in the industry at the time of the sale.
- Represented a Twin Cities based Private Equity Group in the Purchase of a food ingredients company located in the Western United States in a transaction valued at over $60 million.
- Represented a new Twin Cities Based Growth and Investment based Private Equity Sponsor in the first closing of its Fund and in its first investment in a reporting and analytics Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform serving the restaurant industry.
- Represented a Twin Cities Based Private Equity sponsor in the sale of a plastics colorants business located in the Eastern United States, which transaction marked more than a dozen transactions closed by Frank in the plastics industry over the last several years.
- Represented management in the sale of a global leader in the manufacture and distribution of its proprietary products for heavy duty trucks and off road equipment. Frank has represented the Company or management in a series of three major transactions over the last several years.
- Represented a European Private Equity Sponsor and its agriculture industry platform in the acquisition of a seed production and distribution company located in the Southwestern United States.
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1982, cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1979, cum laude
- Minnesota, 1982
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, Minnesota
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
- Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- Minnesota Journal of Law & Politics, Top 10 Merger and Acquisition Lawyers in Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, past Newsletter Editor
- American Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Business, Banking and Franchise Section, past Chair
- Center National Bank, Litchfield, Minnesota, Board Member
- Coulee Bank, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, Board Member
- Washburn Center for Children, President of the Board of Directors
- Edina School Board, former Chair
- Edina ABC Foundation, past Board of Directors Member and two-term Chair
- West Metro Education Program, past Board Chair
- Minnehaha Academy, past Member of the Board of Trustees