Frank B. Bennett
“I endeavor to bring the knowledge and perspective I have gained over my career to help my clients achieve their business and personal objectives.”
Frank Bennett has closed hundreds of transactions and has acted as outside general counsel to countless businesses for more than 35 years.
He advises private equity sponsors, as well public and private clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, corporate finance, venture finance and general corporate law. Frank represents a variety of U.S. and international private equity groups as well as strategic buyers, sellers, investors, financial advisors, management, and minority shareholders in leveraged and management buyouts, corporate restructurings and related transactions. Among the industries covered in these transactions are software and technology, nutraceutical and supplements, food processing and production, plastics and packaging, manufacturing, printing, investment banking, transportation, retail, insurance, distribution and sales and financial services.
Frank regularly works with corporate officers, directors and senior management, providing general corporate advice on contracts, finance, licensing, employment, tax, corporate governance and other matters.
In addition to his legal practice, Frank serves on numerous nonprofit boards and two bank boards: Center National Bank in Litchfield, Minnesota and Coulee Bank in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. He is also a frequent speaker at CLE programs and has served as the co-editor of the Minnesota CLE Corporate Law Deskbook.
- Represented the owners/founders of a privately held software/operating technology company in a $1.6 Billion sale to a public Company. Frank’s client had world-wide operations that were included in the transaction.
- Represented the shareholders of a software/technology/financial services Firm in the sale of the Company to a Private Equity Sponsor in a transaction with an enterprise transaction value in excess of $400 million.
- Represented two different platform companies for one of the nation’s leading Private Equity Sponsors in two recent acquisitions. The first was a nine-figure acquisition in the financial and insurance services industry and the second was an add on acquisition of a technology-based company serving the insurance industry.
- Represented the owners in the sale of a national retail distribution and e-commerce business to the largest strategic player in the industry. Frank’s client built a unique business as the licensee of countless professional and collegiate sports teams and entertainment brands.
- Represented the private equity business of a national wealth management firm in connection with a $50 million buy-out fund.
- Following the representation of the founder in the sale of a nutrition business several years ago, represented the founder as a rollover seller in the subsequent sale of the platform by the private equity sponsor in a transaction with an enterprise value in excess of $600 million.
- Represented a Private Equity Sponsor in the acquisition of a US based nutraceutical manufacturer and distributor with an international business presence of suppliers and customers.
- Represented the owners and founders of a software company serving the professional services industry. The buyer was a Private Equity Sponsor intending to use Frank’s client as the platform for a new roll up strategy.
- Represented a leading national egg production and distribution business in the sale of certain subsidiaries of the business to a strategic buyer.
- Represented the management team of a packaging and printing platform in a sale resulting in a change of Equity Sponsors for the business. Frank has represented the buyer or seller of this business in several prior transactions over a 25-year period.
- Represented a U.S. based Private Equity sponsor in the acquisition of two international language interpretation businesses with offices located in Ireland, India and Asia, as well as multiple locations throughout the United States. Frank assisted this client with additional acquisitions in Germany, Spain and Los Angeles.
- Represented a U.S. private equity sponsor in connection with the acquisition of a major wafer Technology Foundry business in the semi-conductor industry.
- Represented an Indian Public Company in the sale of a U.S. based subsidiary to a Private Equity backed strategic buyer in the plastics/blow-molding industry.
- Represented a European Private Equity Group in the sale of various U.S. operating companies in connection with the sale of a European based Audio and Electronics Platform to a leading European Private Equity Sponsor in a transaction valued at over $100 Million.
- Represented a leading U.S. Family Owned agricultural production and distribution Company in the sale of selected production and distribution facilities. The Seller was ranked in the top five in the industry at the time of the sale.
- Represented a Private Equity Group in the Purchase of a food ingredients company located in the Western United States in a transaction valued at over $60 million.
- Represented a European Private Equity Sponsor and its agriculture industry platform in the acquisition of a seed production and distribution company located in the Southwestern United States.
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1982, cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1979, cum laude
- Minnesota, 1982
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, Minnesota
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
- Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- Minnesota Journal of Law & Politics, Top 10 Merger and Acquisition Lawyers in Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, past Newsletter Editor
- American Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Business, Banking and Franchise Section, past Chair
- Center National Bank, Litchfield, Minnesota, Board Member
- Coulee Bank, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, Board Member
- Washburn Center for Children, President of the Board of Directors
- Edina School Board, former Chair
- Edina ABC Foundation, past Board of Directors Member and two-term Chair
- West Metro Education Program, past Board Chair
- Minnehaha Academy, past Member of the Board of Trustees