On April 27, 2020, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers filed a motion asking a Montana federal court to partially stay its April 15, 2020, decision vacating Nationwide Permit 12, pending a Corps appeal of that decision.
Jeremy utilizes his knowledge of environmental, land use, regulatory, construction and real estate law to help clients acquire, develop, permit, build, operate and sell their projects and properties.
Jeremy counsels his clients through the full life cycle of a project from acquisition, permitting and construction to operation, leasing, financing or re-sale thereby providing the continuity and comprehensive services his clients require for the success of their projects. His technical on-the-ground experience with land development and redevelopment uniquely positions him to identify and address his client’s business needs and risks. Jeremy’s broad expertise in regulatory, real estate, land use, construction and environmental aspects of transmission, energy, and traditional land development projects provides critical continuity and insight into the multifaceted issues that are typical in energy and land development projects.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Jeremy worked as a biologist for two state agencies and as a consultant for regional and international consulting firms where he assisted clients with environmental assessments, site design, permitting and entitlement and construction monitoring. Jeremy’s technical expertise is exemplified by his technical background and authorship or co-authorship of ten scientific publications.
Real Estate Law and Construction Law
- Represented a national homebuilder in the acquisition and assemblage of multiple parcels and the entitlement of a 100+ lot residential development.
- Developed and drafted a suite of contracts for a custom homebuilder for its specific buying, selling and subcontracting needs.
- Represented a national home builder in the purchase of 90 residential lots.
- Assisted a client in the successful resolution of mechanics liens and bond claims against the client, and the drafting of new construction contracts to address risk exposure presented in existing construction contracts.
- Represented a land developer in the acquisition and development of undeveloped land into residential lots.
- Represented a group of small business owners in the purchase of a building to house their businesses and other tenants.
- Negotiated a master and project specific engineer procure and construct (EPC) contracts for the construction of a tranche of community solar gardens.
Energy and Environmental Law
- Counseled an energy developer through the development of an Environmental Impact Statement, Section 7 consultation, a Biological Opinion and a Conference Opinion for a 400 MW wind farm and associated transmission line.
- Assisted an energy developer in securing adequate real estate site control, wetland permits and agency approvals for the financing and construction of the 200 MW Odell Wind Farm including a site permit and route permit from the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission.
- Assisted Crown Iron Works Company in the construction, installation and sale of biodiesel equipment to customers in the U.S. and Asia.
- Assisted an energy developer in securing wetland permits and other agency approvals for the construction of the first large scale distributed solar project permitted by PUC in Minnesota. The 100 MW Aurora Solar project is comprised of up to 21 separate facilities, between 2 to 10 MW, utilizing the electrical distribution system.
- Advised WhiteFox Technologies Ltd. on the distribution and sale of ethanol equipment to customers in the U.S.
- Assisted an energy developer in securing a conditional use permit for four co-located community solar garden.
- Assisted an energy developer in negotiating a balance of plant construction contract and land use permits to ensure timely construction of a wind farm for qualification for the federal production tax credit.
- Assisted a group of utilities in analyzing title work and preparing petitions for eminent domain actions in multiple counties and for multiple new transmission lines across Minnesota.
- Assisted owner of petroleum pipeline in drafting and securing new easement interests and the transfer of fee title interests in company owned property.
- Advised an owner of an ethanol facility regarding potential environmental liabilities, air, water and land permitting and ongoing permit compliance issues.
Before Joining Fredrikson & Byron
- Assisted energy developer in securing a state site permit from the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission for a 41 MW Large Wind Energy Conversion System in Minnesota and coordinated applicable field studies and consultations with the DNR, U.S. Fish and Wildlife and State Historical Preservation Office.
- Served as project manager for the environmental assessments; agency consultations; endangered species review; wetlands permitting; mitigation design; and city entitlement process for a 147-lot residential development.
- Assisted a national homebuilder in gaining local, state and federal approvals for approximately 16 acres of wetland impact and the design and approval of 25 acres of mitigation for a residential development.
Articles & Presentations
April 17, 2020
On April 15, 2020, a Montana federal district court issued a decision in litigation arising from the Keystone XL pipeline that vacated Nationwide Permit 12.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-presenter with Brian McCool, “Key Issues to Consider When Structuring Real Estate Joint Ventures,” Minnesota Real Estate Journal Land Development Conference, May 4, 2018
- Co-presenter with Chris Hunt, “Real Estate Issues Unique to the Probate Estate,” Minnesota CLE webinar, April, 2018
- Co-presenter with Brian McCool, “How to Avoid Getting Sideswiped on Your Next Development,” Minnesota Real Estate Journal Land Development Conference, May 5, 2017
- Co-presenter with Nena Lenz, “The Federal Government as a Large Customer—Update on the Obama Administration’s Clean Power Initiative,” Renewable Energy in the Midwest Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 2016
- Co-presenter with Brian McCool, “’Hot’ Legal Topics in Land Development – 2016,” 12th Annual Land Development Conference, Golden Valley, MN, May 6, 2016
- Co-author with Mary Ranum and Joe Springer, “Development Agreement: Documents Made Easy with Commentary,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, October 2015
- Co-presenter with Nena Lenz, “The Federal Government as a Large Customer: Update on the Obama Administration’s Clean Power Initiative for Military and Civilian Facilities,” Renewable Energy in the Midwest Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 2015
- Moderator, “Bogged Down in Wetlands? Challenges & Recommendations for Wading through the Process,” Sensible Land Use Coalition, Minneapolis, MN, April 2015
- Co-presenter with Tony Sullins (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) and Richard Baker (MN DNR) “Endangered Species Act Issues in Renewable Energy Development,” Renewable Energy in the Midwest Conference, Minneapolis, MN, August 2013
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- South Dakota State University, M.S.
- Iowa State University, B.S.
- Minnesota, 2011
- Iowa, 2020
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012-2014
- Certified Fisheries Professional FP-C: inactive
- Professional Wetland Scientist PWS: inactive
- Certified Wetland Delineator, Minnesota WDC: inactive
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Foster Child Advocate, Children’s Law Center, 2012-present
- Board of Directors, Freshwater Society, 2016-present
- Board of Directors, Freshwater Foundation, 2014-2016
- Board of Directors, Westridge Lake Estates Homeowners Association
- Youth Coach: Football (2014-2018), Basketball (2017-2018), Hockey (2017-2018)
- Advisor/Member, Academics of Shakopee Industry Council (2016-2018)
- Representative, Sustainability Coalition (2017-2018)
- Adjunct Professor (Real Estate Transactions, 2015), William Mitchell College of Law
- Volunteer, Twin Cities Big Brothers Big Sisters, 2006-2012
- Past Member, North Scott County Land Trust