Steve’s practice assists businesses, commercial lenders and individuals in the areas of corporate restructuring, creditors’ remedies, bankruptcy, commercial litigation and related matters, including reorganizing or liquidating either under the Bankruptcy Code or in or out of court workouts and liquidations.
In the bankruptcy context, Steve has represented corporations, small businesses, individuals, and a chapter 11 trustee on the debtor-side in a number of cases. In addition, Steve has also represented creditors, contract or lease counterparties, parties sued to recover preference and fraudulent transfers and potential asset purchasers in bankruptcy cases. Aside from providing bankruptcy-related services, Steve also has experience with assisting clients with other debtor/creditor matters, such as negotiating with creditors outside of court, commencing or participating in receiverships and representing clients in state and federal litigation relating to debt obligations. Steve clerked in the United States Bankruptcy Court of Minnesota prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron.
- Assisted in representation of printed circuit board manufacturer in a Chapter 11 case involving section 363 sales of two operating divisions to separate buyers, as well as a confirmed plan of liquidation.
- Assisted in representation of Chapter 11 Trustee appointed for an asphalt sealant manufacturer.
- Represented non-profit theater company in successful workout with creditors and landlord.
- Represented buyer of a Texas business through a 363 sale process in bankruptcy court in Texas.
- On team that represented human trafficking victims in federal court litigation of trafficking claims and in bankruptcy court litigation regarding payment of claims, resulting in a negotiated settlement.
- Regularly represents parties sued to recover preference and fraudulent transfers across the country.
Articles & Presentations
January 10, 2018
In addition to the normal hurdles debtors face in chapter 11 cases, many energy and farmer debtors must address the safe harbor provisions of 11 U.S.C. § 556, which permit forward contract counterparties to terminate forward contracts immediately after a bankruptcy filing.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Surprise!: Ways in Which the Automatic Stay or Discharge Injunction Can Sneak Up On You,” Business Bankruptcy Brunch, ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 2017
- Presenter, “Defending Claims Brought Back From the Dead: Bankruptcy Preference Claims,” Hennepin County Bar Association, February 2017
- Presenter, “When Cases Collide: Issues Arising When Chapter 11 Business and Individual Owners Both Seek Bankruptcy Protection,” Meeting of Small Business Subcommittee of the ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, September 2016
- Author, “Is Jevic Really About Structured Dismissals?,” The Restructuring Report, October 2017
- Author, “A Lease in Name Only: Manalapan’s Assignment of Leases under § 363,” an American Bankruptcy Institute online publication for the Real Estate Committee
- Co-author, “Chapter 11 in Minnesota,” Bankruptcy Practice in Minnesota, a Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Publication
- Co-author, “Reaffirmation Agreements: Basics and Current Developments,” a Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Publication
- Presenter, “Mock Hearings - Examples of What to Do and Not to Do in Trial,” MSBA Minnesota Bankruptcy Institute, 2014
- Co-author, “Liquidating Plans, Chapter 7, Structured Dismissal: What to Do Next in Chapter 11 Cases,” MSBA Minnesota Bankruptcy Institute, 2014
- Co-author, “Individual Chapter 11: A How-To,” MSBA Section Meeting Presentation
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2011, magna cum laude
- University of St. Thomas, B.A., 2008, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2011
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Minnesota, 2014
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Bankruptcy: Business, 2017-2018
- Turnaround Management Association – Minnesota Chapter, Transaction of the Year, 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2015-2016
- Global Pro Bono Dispute of the Year, American Lawyer, 2015
- Minnesota Lawyer of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2015
- Minnesota Journal of International Law, Executive Editor, 2010-2011
- Finalist, National Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, 2010
- Bankruptcy Clinic Director, University of Minnesota Law School, 2010-2011
- Vice Chair, Litigation Subcommittee, Business Bankruptcy Section, American Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Clerk, Chief Judge Kathleen H. Sanberg, United States Bankruptcy Court of Minnesota, 2012-2014
- Judicial Externship, Judge Kathryn Messerich, 2009