Todd is an experienced trial lawyer, concentrating on complex business litigation including antitrust, fraud and related business tort cases.
Todd is a certified civil trial specialist. He has been recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading antitrust attorney and commercial litigator and has been recognized by Minnesota Super Lawyers for more than ten years running. In addition to numerous jury trials and court trials, Todd has experience in domestic and international arbitration proceedings and in government investigations relating to trade regulation issues.
Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- Represents a 24/7 television network in federal court action alleging false advertising, fraud and violation of various state consumer protection statutes.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest providers of advertising and promotions in supermarkets in federal action alleging state and federal antitrust and false advertising claims. This case settled during a jury trial in Minneapolis in 2011.
- Represents the nation’s largest grocery wholesaler in a federal antitrust case in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota challenging an Asset Exchange Agreement with another grocery wholesaler.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a federal antitrust lawsuit by a competitor alleging monopoly leveraging, tying, attempted monopolization. This case was successfully dismissed on summary judgment and argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented vitamin manufacturer in the Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, a class action and part of one of the largest antitrust proceedings in U.S. history. The case involved claims of price fixing, territory allocation and other violations of state and federal antitrust laws.
- Represented developer and mortgage broker in a series of claims brought by the Minnesota Attorney General alleging violation of consumer fraud statutes and other trade regulation and consumer protection statutes.
- Represents one of the leading sports and entertainment companies in the world with respect to arena management issues, including a court trial with a professional sports franchise that is a tenant of one of the arenas, with respect to a Government Data Practices Act claim and a variety of contract related issues.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in a Government Data Practices Act matter which was heard by the Minnesota Supreme Court in May, 2013.
- Represented medical group accused by former member of defamation.
- Represents a Spanish company that manufactures and sells exterior wood panels, in claims relating to alleged product failure, including warranties and product liability claims.
- Represents a food, pharma and environmental laboratory testing company in post-acquisition litigation with the seller of a business unit, in Chancery Court in Delaware. The case involves purchase price adjustment issues, breach of representation and warranties and fraud claims.
Honors & Education
- Indiana University, J.D., 1988, cum laude
- Miami University, A.B., 1985
- American University, Semester Program, 1983
- Minnesota, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the District Minnesota, 1988
- United States Supreme Court, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1999
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-present; Litigation - Antitrust, 2012-present
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer–Business Litigation, 2001-2017
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Minnesota-Litigation: General Commercial, 2012-present
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Minnesota-Antitrust, 2015-present
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2012
- Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, 2010-present
- Chair, Fourth District Ethics Committee, 2003-2009.
- Board Member, Hennepin County Bar Assoc., 2003-2009
- President, Fredrikson & Byron Foundation, 2004-present
- Chair, MSBA Antitrust Section, 2000
- Board of Directors, ALS Association of Minnesota/North Dakota, 2007-2010